• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

When do benefits start?

CallOfDuty

Inactive
Reaction score
  Hey there everyone, I was wondering..........................I've recently been sworn in, and go to BMQ ( reg force) in a week or so.  When does coverage for vision and dental and prescriptions start?
  Cheers all, have a good day
:cdn:
Steve

I am no clerk or anything but my best guess is the day you start your course is the day you are covered....or maybe it is the day you are sworn in?

CallOfDuty said:
  Hey there everyone, I was wondering..........................I've recently been sworn in, and go to BMQ ( reg force) in a week or so.  When does coverage for vision and dental and prescriptions start?
   Cheers all, have a good day
:cdn:
Steve

If you are referring to yourself than it is immediately upon enrolment and for dependants it is three months after enrolment.

Just curious, when CF members do get vision checked and prescription glasses, or some drugs, how do you guys submit the claim?  At air canada, we have to pay up front, then send the original receipts through company mail, and hope to god they don't get lost, then await payment.
  Thanks again
Steve

CallOfDuty said:
  Just curious, when CF members do get vision checked and prescription glasses, or some drugs, how do you guys submit the claim?  At air canada, we have to pay up front, then send the original receipts through company mail, and hope to god they don't get lost, then await payment.
  Thanks again
Steve

You don't submit claims.  If you are required to fill a prescription at a civilian pharmacy you use your issued Blue Cross card at a CF recommended pharmacy.  Stop worrying about how the benefits work for you as it will all be explained to you later.

CallOfDuty said:
  Thanks again
Steve
You will be sent to the Optometrist, usually on Base.  There you will be tested and a prescription will be documented on your Med Files.  You will take that prescription and associated documents to get your glasses.  You pick out one of six Military approved frames and then wait for them to come back.  You pick up your new glasses and walk out the door.  All the paperwork has been done for you and all costs are handled/transfered without your involvement.

You will receive a prescription for any drugs you need from the MO, and from there you will go to the Base Pharmacist, where you will hand in your slip with your required prescription and they will fill it.  Again, you have nothing to do with any transfer of money. 

Dental problems go to the Base Dental Clinic, and again, you do not have to worry your little head over any transferring of monies.

As kincanucks has already said, don't worry about it.

Also, there's a handful more than six frames to choose from, just don't expect the latest and greatest.

I actually thought you guys were joking about the 6 or so military approved frames!  I'm wondering if I should go get my eyes checked and get some glasses under my current employers plan first!!
Steve

The important fact to realize here is that upon enrollment in the CF (RegF) you are covered 100% when it comes to dental and medical - however this is not a health plan.  You do not visit your family doctor anymore - everyone you see is in uniform.  This is obviously not the case when you are on leave away from your Base/Wing/Ship/Pier...

Technically, what part of the recruiting/training process is your enrollment fullfilled?

Are you asking at which part of the process is your enrollment fulfilled?? Ie enrollment obligation?? That would be at the end of your contract (3 years).

Or are you asking at which point in time are you considered 'enrolled?' The answer to that is as Kincanucks has already stated below...the date you are sworn in.

Ty for the post.  I was referring to the time is was considered "enrolled"  Ty again for the clarification.

CallOfDuty said:
  I actually thought you guys were joking about the 6 or so military approved frames!  I'm wondering if I should go get my eyes checked and get some glasses under my current employers plan first!!
Steve

There are 6 or so that are fully covered. They will allow you to cover the difference if you want something else. The thing is you can't wear weird stuff in uniform. The choices aren't exactly hornrimmed 60s models...they are conservative but quite presentable. You will get two pair and they don't have to be the same style. You will also get a pair for wearing with your gas mask (they have nylon straps)

Here's the deal...you don't work for Air Canada any more....if you wear something that is unacceptable the Chain of Command (usually in the person of a large Sergeant) will tell you to go and get something appropriate for wearing in uniform. ;)

For glasses when you enroll,

You'll get your eyes checked by the Optomitrist at the MIR in St-Jean.  You'll pick two pairs of glasses.  There are lots (she had a whole wall of frames that were covered) to choose from in St-Jean, at least, and they're perfectly fine.  I got two pairs that are both "in style" looking, they're just not fancy name-brand frames.  Also, she had lots of others that you could get for an extra fee, ie the name brand ones.  Also, you can pay your own money to get extra things like scratch guard, anti-glare, and clip on sunglasses.  After your initial two pairs, you get one new pair of frames every two years.  New lenses as often as you need them (ie if your prescription changes).

Didn't want to start a new topic for my question.

I've been enrolled but my course hasn't started yet (LWOP). Swore in March 30th.

Is it possible to go to my family doctor before my course starts?  I am not trying to hide anything from the CF med staff... Just something simple I would just prefer I did before I arrived on course.

Thanks

edit:  I remember hearing you can get in s*** for using your provincial health card (OHIP).  I do not completely understand the instructions and if my family doctor is part of the National Provider Network (on CF 100 Medical and Dental) and I would rather be safe than sorry.  The recruiting center didn't answer the phone all day and the online-recruiters wasn't open during operational hours.

Back