• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the surest way to Afghanistan?

simonsimon

Inactive
Reaction score
I really want to play a part in Canada's effort over there. I'd like to join the Infantry, but my eyesight is not good enough. What other trade or job would give me a good chance at deploying?

If you want to join only to go to Afg and be a "hero" im sure your application with be translucent and you will be encouraged to apply at your nearest McDonalds.

Joining is a life choice, people depend on how well prepared you are when in theatre. If you are simply looking at getting over there to say youve been, then you are not taking the training or the armed forces in a whole for that matter seriously..

Great White Hype said:
If you want to join only to go to Afg and be a "hero" im sure your application with be translucent and you will be encouraged to apply at your nearest McDonalds.

Or Timmys

Great White Hype said:

Joining is a life choice, people depend on how well prepared you are when in theatre. If you are simply looking at getting over there to say youve been, then you are not taking the training or the armed forces in a whole for that matter seriously..

And when you have actually served a day yourself, you will be in a better position to judge the motivations of others.

Great White Hype said:

Can you tell me exactly what is wrong with believing that what Canada is doing in Afghanistan is very good, and wanting to join the CF on the basis of this kind of work they will be doing for the foreseeable future?

Or are you just going to make idiotic assumptions about other people's motivations?

I'm sure any Combat Arms trades would get you there if it's really what you want.

Engineer,Armoured,Arty are trades that deploy a lot. Non combat arms you could go Medic,MSE Op just to name a couple.

Great White Hype I don't think that little lecture was necessary. So he wants to get on a tour. Big deal a lot of people want to get on tours. That does not mean it's his only reason for wanting to join the Forces. You know nothing about this person so I don't see how you can make assumptions about him.

Fair enough....

I havent served a day in my life-granted...I have no reason to believe I know what im talking about.

In my experience(s) with both emergency services and with close friends who are a part of the military in various capacities, its the eager attitude that was shown earlier ( wanting to go over to fight) that is precisely the reason for people getting hurt.

Focus on what you want to do rather than where you would like to be--When you are deemed ready, then you will go. Am I wrong?

Great White Hype said:
Focus on what you want to do rather than where you would like to be--When you are deemed ready, then you will go. Am I wrong?

Don't you think the training he will have to undergo between now and the time of any possible deployment will temper that?

We're not handing people a plane ticket just because they display enthusiasm.  We do have various processes that are dedicated to ensure the requisite dedication and readiness to deploy.  Trashing someone's enthusiasm before they've even started the recruitment process is a little harsh.

I think joining with the wish to Deploy is quite honourable. I will be the first one to tell everyone here my first reason for joining the forces was to deploy oversea's, I did not wish to make a career out of the Forces as i wanted to become a Civvies fire fighter. However i do wish to get off my ass and get to Afghanistan as soon as possible and do my part. I think there is something to be said about anyone with the enthusiasm to deploy into a war zone(all be it they might say your crazy  ;D).

I told my recruiter right off the bat that i was not looking for a career but i was looking to do my part in the time of need. Why do other great men and women have to rotate to Afghanistan for their second, third or ever their fourth time while i get to sit home and watch it unfold on the TV? I wish to take the spot of a soldier who would of had to spend that time away from his family, friends, his home and has already done his job once or twice.

However with that being said, that was my ideas before i entered the CF and after being in for a bit I have fallen in love with what we do,the brother hood that comes along with it and just the all around experience of being in the forces. I now think handing my uniform in would be one of the hardest things to do but i still choose to follow my original goal of becoming a Civvie fire fighter and will most likely stay in the reserves while doing so.

simonsimon said:
I really want to play a part in Canada's effort over there. I'd like to join the Infantry, but my eyesight is not good enough. What other trade or job would give me a good chance at deploying?

I thought you wanted to be an IO? 

If you want to get to a'stan fast, go there as a tourist... If you're interested, I'll send you a useful link.  ;D

simonsimon said:

SS, be careful what you wish for, and good luck into whatever Corps which suits you.

popnfresh said:
If you want to get to a'stan fast, go there as a tourist... If you're interested, I'll send you a useful link.  ;D

Show me this link... I am curious, haha

simonsimon said:

Now, to answer the kids question before he was rudely nailed to a cross by somebody else....

Simonsimon, if eyesight is a limiting factor on what you can do, I'd advise you to go to the local CFRC and find out what trades you are good to go in.  Almost all the supporting trades are hurting, just like the Infantry, so just being in the Army gives you a good shot.  Off the top of my head EME (mechanics), Signals, and MSE Op (truck drivers) are all guys who interact with the pointy end quite frequently.

Narrow your choices down and come back and some members in the fields you are really interested in will be able to help you out.

Do you know your vision category?  Go with Infanteer's advice and let the medical/recruiting professionals determine what you can and cannot go for within the military.  I would say that virtually all 'Army' trades deploy to Afghanistan, along with virtually all the 'Purple' trades that cut across environments such as clerks, the medical field and supply (and others).  The Air Force has people in Afghanistan, and there are even some Navy folks.  Everybody there has an important job to do.

As an aside it is good to see that you are keen to join and serve in Afghanistan.  That spirit was certainly present in 1900, 1914, 1939 and 1950.  Even if you don't get to Afghanistan due to the length of training and service requirements you will almost certainly serve somewhere abroad if you join up.  There will be wars after this one.

Surest wat to Afghanistan :

Wrap yourself up in Brown Paper and mail yourself by DHL to KAF. Anything else is a gamble.

I have no expectation of deploying quickly. I expect 2-3 years of learning a trade to become a useful cog in the machine before being even considered for deployment. Given that the mission might end in 2011, that's why I'm wondering which are some of the trades that deploy most frequently.

fire_guy686, Infanteer, Tango2Bravo and all others,
Thanks for the advice.

zipperhead_cop,
That's one of the options I'm looking into.

Back