• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What were the proudest moments in your CF career?

• Thread starter Veteran`s son
  • Start date
V

Veteran`s son

Hello everyone:

What were the proudest moments during your career in the Canadian Forces?

Again, your replies would be appreciated!

You would think it would be the big showoffy things - like playing on Horse Guards for the Royal Family with the rest of the combined Massed Pipes and Drums and Military Bands of the Scottish Division, or playing for HM again in Calgary when she presented us with our new Queen‘s Colour. Or being awarded the CD in front of the entire regiment.

But oddly, to this REMF it is the little things; like being on a live fire defensive exercise and having my trench partner (a bonafide Infantryman) say "nice shooting" to me. Or having the CSM comment in an after-exercise assessment "you don‘t disappear like a lot guys do, you stick around and help out." It meant he noticed, after all.

The little comments like that tend to mean more to me, personally, than a lot of the other stuff.

Passing my Junior Leadership Course, my staff were PPCLI sergeants, my section was the only one that was mixed reg and reserve, and we were the only section that lost people during the feild portion. I learned a lot of things about the forces, the position of leadership and about my capabilites under stress.

I have a few:
1. Passing the CF Basic Para, and earning my wings.
2. Passing my medic QL3 (9 month course)
3. Recieving my CD
But most of all watching both my girls being born, and knowing every day I put the uniform on that I am doing my little part to make sure thier world will be a safe one.

Got commissioned in the field (sort of) it was on the Vimy range in Borden by our unit‘s new and current CO. The entire battalion was there and I got called up in front of the CO and DCO. I stood at attention and the CO asked me to take a pace forward (I did) and he then ripped off my epaulets and threw them on the ground in front of me :confused: . After my initial heart attack, he slipped the new ones on and I got to buy the entire unit a round at the Rod and Gun afterwards. :blotto:

Usually you get a field commission by being one of the few NCM‘s who survives when a good number of your group is wiped out. If they need officers, and they figure you survived by being smart instead of just by dumb luck, you might get a commission.

I suppose it‘s theoretically possible for an officer to recognize something particularly intelligent you did and get you the commission as well...but usually it involves lots of death. Either on your side, or the others.

Mine, was one in day in Bosnia, when me and the Wo were driving through Kluc to Zygon just before the bridge ,when this little girl came out of gate of this house running (I slowed down)and she saw us in the L.S. and blew a big kiss.

I‘ll never forget that day or little girl.
It made all the ache‘s and pain‘s on Ex‘s. over the year‘s all worth it just for that one blown kiss from one little girl in Bosnia.
(she was only 9 or 10)
Beat‘s all award‘s and gong‘s for me.

Similar to Spr Earl, mine happened in operation. In the first few days in Timor, we had to secure the road between Suai and Zumalai (+/- 30 km), search all buildings etc... for weapons/ signs of activity. After looking through one of the rare buildings still standing, where a few families had settled, this little girl and her pregnant mom came out of nowhere... The lady approached carefully, bowed and kissed my hand and thanked us in the local language (Tetum, sounds a lot like Portuguese). That is a moment I will never forget.

I thought graduating basic was a pretty big achievment, but then my dad came up to me after and said "I can‘t believe you wasted your summer doing this." So, after that, I didn‘t take pride with most of what I did with the CF.

The Feu de joie last week was pretty impressive, and I felt proud being a reservist having participated in it, however, I think out of my experiences with the CF, my proudest moments were outside of it when I applied some of the things I learnt to my civilian life, off duty.

Most recently, I went to a club with a bunch of my friends; and one of them had WAAAAAY to much to drink (she had something like 15 shots of tequila, mixed with aroud 5 shots of sourpuss, a paralyzer, and something like 3 or 4 beers, birthday girl, lol). Having alot of experience with drunks in the CF, as well as applying my basic first aid that I had a refresher for a few weeks earlier, I helped get her to a hospital and took care of her throughout the night.

Though others are quick to mock it, I‘m very, very proud of my ghilie suit. Again, applying the basic knowledge of cam and concealment, my ghilie suit is soooo amazing (I just played a day long paintball game with it, and had quite a bit of fun with it).

but then my dad came up to me after and said "I can‘t believe you wasted your summer doing this." So, after that, I didn‘t take pride with most of what I did with the CF.
Don‘t let other people‘s thoughts make you feel differently about what you have done,have some self pride, even if it is your dad.

Good lord, I thought my dad was bad. At the risk of sounding self-righteous, I think I can see where a lot of your posts come from.

Come to think of it, after being hounded by my dad to keep my boots shiny (just like his were when he was in the air cadets for a summer back in 1956 :rolleyes: ), I‘ve pretty much reacted in the inverse almost in a Pavlovian manner. Funny the effect a dad can have on you...

I‘ve always said that if by some miracle I were to be awarded the VC, the only comment dad would have about the entire event would be "why weren‘t your shoes shinier when the Queen pinned it on you?" :D

Heh, Happy Father‘s Day (for 45 more minutes here in Calgary).

Lui
I don‘t know about you guys but I don‘t think the military issues kit so that it can be used in games ie. Paintball ect. I think a little more respect for kit should be considred and applied,

From the cold wet weather boots thread as it pertains to wearing kit while off duty:

As for wearing them outside, my squardon RO‘s say any issued kit WITHOUT a Canadian Flag, the word "Canada," or any other symbol that identifies me as a member of the CF can be worn so long as it‘s not part of the fighting order (I think that‘s just webbing and helmet).

Boots, pants, T-shirts (although not outer shirt), toque, and gloves fall in the category of safe stuff to my knowledge, so I wear them if I go paintballing/camping. Noone‘s ever bitched me out for those things, and if they do, I‘ll just throw the RO‘s in thier face.

I did get in trouble once when someone who looked like me was walking around with a CF issued webbing at the University, but he was just some bum with the airsoft club showing off his gear.
Also, nothing in my ghilie suit was made out of issued equipment. I was never issued a personal camnet, and the scarf I use I bought from a surplus store.

My dad‘s a cool guy, and since basic, he‘s come to have a little bit more respect for the CF and my being in it. In my younger, (2 years ago, lol) more rebellious years, another of the reasons for staying in was to spite him.
Now he thinks it‘s actually somewhat worthwhile, although he still views it as a partial waste of my time as it can be intrusive to my studies, and not entirely relevant to my career plans.
I‘ve grown attatched to the notion of being in the army over time, as I think is evidant in my casual attitude about it. However, looking back, I know it‘s the best thing I‘ve ever done, even if I really havn‘t done anything.

I think I gained a little respect and independance from of my father, I learnt some pretty interesting and unique skills, I had a few unforgettable experiences, I‘ve made a few lifelong friends. Overall, it‘s been a pretty positive experience (although one where it‘s amusing to poke fun at the few bad experiences).

I went to my unit the other day to get my ID renewed, and I saw some guy in the recruiting office. I think he wanted to sign up. When he walked out, I said to him "Join up, it‘s the best decision you‘ll ever make." And to be honest, I know it was the truth.

This might sound a little lame.. but my
proudest day thus far (given my limited exposure
to the military) was when I swore my oath of
allegiance to queen and country and the warrant
at my unit (who was also the recruiting officer)
shook my hand and said "Welcome to the Regiment"

The proudist day for me was when i came
back from my second UN tour & my son,who
was around 3 or 4, said his first words
to me "daddy soldier".

He always was proud of my service & wanted to
join.I buried my metals with him when he passed.
He was 17 & got hit by a drunk.

I hope that drunk got tossed in jail for a long time;

all though I don‘t know if it‘s something to be especially proud of but I think I learnt how to consume alcohol responsibly as a soldier too.

Windwolf,
You past sorrow is my future nighmare.
God bless.

from another Daddy Soldier.

Back