• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What to do with empty mags?

Northern Touch

Inactive
Reaction score
So what is it most of you do with spent mags?
I know the proper procedure would be to drop it back into the mag pouch, but it seems to take a lot of extra time, which coudl be valuable if you were in a real firefight.  It seems a little hard to get it back into the mag pouch quickly on the tac vest because...a)one hand is on the rifle, b) your other hand is holding your ejected mag c) you have to put that mag somewhere before you can pull out another mag form your vest because you need a free hand, which is holding that empty mag.  So I'm wondering what you guys have found out works best for you?

I normally drop it into my cargo pocket of my left pant leg during attacks, and then once we have consolidated and are rebalming ammo, I replace the mags back into my tac vest.  Im wondering if there are any easier places to put it, or if anybody has any better suggestions.  I have never had a mag fall out of my pocket, even while attacking a trench. 

i shove 'em in my combat shirt. With the drawstring done up, they stay in there. Not too comfy though.

A spent mag drop pouch...

With armour being worn the large majority of the time the down the shirt method does not work any longer.
Similarily gear typically alos restricts pnats pocklets and is not awlays the best location anyway

MANY manufactuers make drop pouches

Good call on that one Kev.......I do remember it being a little tough to shove them in my shirt past my armour. Come to think about it, the only way I was able to do that was that I usually had to leave my flak vest open because I am a Large / XL and the ones issued to us were always medium.......

Drop pouch search commencing.........NOW.

TM

Maxpedition rolly polly - it can be stowed when not needed...

Loops on mag bottoms, small carabiner like item on TV.
Clip em till reorg.

I might get my bum kicked for this one :-[, especialy on verbal, but why cant you leave them behind? Through them away on the ground? Im just an ex-cadet wondering? ???

You can't leave the mags on the ground because they are metal and reusable. Picture this, ammo distribution and its like, gee, where are your mags? I dropped then on the ground when they were empty. I had a guy in my platoon booted from the CF this summer for losing 3 mags, thus leading me to believe that you gotta keep them with you. So if you don't want to be manually placing rounds in the chamber after you get your new ammo, i'd say it's best to hold onto your mags, not drop them.

He got kicked out of the CF for loosing 3 mags? Hope this wasnt a real firefight in Afhganistan? LOL for the idea of manually reloading your rifle each time LOL ;D

I've used the drop loops on the bottom and a carabiner like clip..........Then when you run, you get smacked in the bean with your mags............I'm gonna go with the drop leg...........

TM

Hollywood Hitman - if the Tactical Tailor doesn't pan out, check out Tiger Tactical.  I had him do up a spent-mag pouch (leg rig) that can also serve as a gas mask pouch is you so desire (better then the CF purse thing).  You can get it done in CADPAT to boot....

AZA-02 said:
He got kicked out of the CF for loosing 3 mags? Hope this wasnt a real firefight in Afhganistan? LOL for the idea of manually reloading your rifle each time LOL ;D

No, even then, what sense would it possibly make to drop your mags if you can re-use them? You nearly always carry more ammunition then mags to carry it...

Infanteer said:
You can get it done in CADPAT to boot....

This may seem like a silly question, but I thought CADPAT was restricted material and/or patented...  is it "like CADPAT" or does the manufacturer have some sort of license to use it?

Some companys have permission to use the CADPAT material,like  Peacekeeper/Wheelers, Frontenac, etc.

Also, some company's make patterns that are similar to CADPAT(colors will be off a bit though).

Found this on a quick search

http://www.lightfighter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=161

Kevin B, as you mentioned, the drop pouchs from lightfighter do seem to restrict your cargo pocket, so where exactly would you place it on your body to make sure you have access to those pockets?  Can you rig it higher to sit around your waist or maybe attach it to the bottom hooks on the TV?

I have no problems with putting the mags back in the TV after using, its easier to do than the webbing especially on the run. If you leave the fastex clips undone from when you took the mag out in the first place you dont have to fumble with that, just slide it in and the velcro will hold it in untill you can redo the fastex clips. It takes no time at all... in my experience.

Cooper said:
I have no problems with putting the mags back in the TV after using, its easier to do than the webbing especially on the run. If you leave the fastex clips undone from when you took the mag out in the first place you dont have to fumble with that, just slide it in and the velcro will hold it in untill you can redo the fastex clips. It takes no time at all... in my experience.

The main problem with doing that is not so much the time involved, but by having a separate place for empty mags, you're better able to keep account of how many full mags you have left and you're not fumblef*cking seeing which mags are empty and which are full when you need to reload.

Back