• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

what to do to be FE

otis1111

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a newb to the Airforce and am in Borden training as an AVN. Can anyone please tell me what I need to do in my career to become an FE. Very few people have info on this trade or so it seems.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

First of all - complete training at Borden.  You are taking the right route - get qualified as an AVN and complete your first tour.  Apply for VOT to FE in the last year of your posting (which could be 7-9 years).  I know lots of guys who have taken this route.  Keep in mind that the bigger the aircraft the higher in rank you must be to fly on it.  Expect to start off on a helicopter or smaller twin engined aircraft.

I spent my career as an AVS tech working on and flying in military aircraft. Great job great career.

But otis1111 I would love to be able to start on a hangar floor again and end up being a FE.  :nod:

Best of luck with your career.

I've heard some rumint that FE may open up as a VOT option for trades other than AVN, do you know if there's any truth to that, Zoomie?

PuckChaser said:
I've heard some rumint that FE may open up as a VOT option for trades other than AVN, do you know if there's any truth to that, Zoomie?

Yes, AVS tech.

otis1111 said:
Hey, I'm a newb to the Airforce and am in Borden training as an AVN. Can anyone please tell me what I need to do in my career to become an FE. Very few people have info on this trade or so it seems.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

According to a senior FE I just asked who I work and live with here overseas, you are on the right track.  Time required to be an AVN tech prior to FE is getting less and less.  Most FE's here have at least 5 years as AVN tech before they applied to transfer to FE.  Also, there are some FE's here that are on their first tour.  He suggest AVN tech for 2 years then apply for transfer.

Thanks for the info The Gues-l-. All of the info I can get on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question.

What is the minimum rank of FEs?
Since you will have already been in CF for < 3years(Training) + <5 years( being an AVN tech).
Would you still be a Corporal by then?

Also, What does loadie means?

PMedMoe said:
A loadie is the loadmaster on an aircraft.  Usually Traffic Techs.
With one exception, they are always Tfc Techs. The one exception being the Air Log Capt doing the Cabin Crew Leader position at 437 Sqn.

captloadie said:
With one exception, they are always Tfc Techs.

I thought so, but wasn't sure if it had changed since I was a Tfc Tech.

I see the future of the loadmaster trade separating itself from the traffic tech trade.  With the eventual phasing out of the FE trade throughout the CF, I envisage the LM position to be filled by more technically minded folks (ie those who currently populate the FE trade).  My FE was an excellent LM - the best of both worlds.

First of all let me clarify something the FE trade is NOT being phased out. it is how ever under going some big changes. If you are still in Borden and have not recieved a posting message , push for a unit that currently has FEs (not fighters). There is a move a foot to lower the rank level forthe entire FE trade (Cpl- Sgt) after Sgt you get remusterd back into the Tech side of the house. The other thing is that if you train on an aircraft as an AVN tech you will be (can be) employed on on the same aircraft as an FE. I have one guy who was a Herc tech, who is now a Cpl FE on the Herc course as we speak. Things are changing in the trade, but at this point we don't know what the final out come will be. It is a very rewarding job, how ever there are large demands on both your personel and profesional life.

Good luck

HercFE said:
First of all let me clarify something the FE trade is NOT being phased out.
I sure hope not - who else will fetch me my water and cook the grill cheese sandwiches?  :warstory:

Zoomie said:
who else will fetch me my water and cook the grill cheese sandwiches?  :warstory:

You'll do that yourself if you know whats good for ya..............

CDN Aviator said:
You'll do that yourself if you know whats good for ya..............

Sounds like you MAG guys haven't been keeping your FE in line.  I'm am pretty sure that it is in their PDR.

Zoomie said:
Sounds like you MAG guys haven't been keeping your FE in line.  I'm am pretty sure that it is in their PDR.

No, with the NCMs now outnumbering the officers on the plane, theres been a power shift and the FE don't have to put up with that crap anymore.

We're high enough for you to eat, we're high enough for you to get it yourself.

Back