• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What should I bring on BMQ, Contact lense or glasses ?

Raquette

Inactive
Reaction score
The question is the topic...

Some people told me contact lense were forbidden in the army is that true ?

They are a very bad idea, even if it is allowed.

Hygiene will become a problem, along with CS gas, dust, cordite gasses, and all the other stuff.

Do yourself a favour, and wait until you have finished all trades training before going back to contacts.

If I take glasses while training, should I buy something to hold my glasse on my head... I don't know how to call this in english, something like a elastic ...

Raquette said:
If I take glasses while training, should I buy something to hold my glasse on my head... I don't know how to call this in english, something like a elastic ...

For me, section tactics was a pain because my lenses kept fogging in the summer heat. I took them off during a brief respite in the prone position, forgot I had laid them down and crunch. Running around with the platoon, not being able to recognise anyone at distance makes you look real stupid. Not to mention spending the rest of basic with green duct tape wrapped around the middle of the frame. I would recommend finding lenses that don't fog and make sure they are securely fastened to your head.

I brought both my contacts and glasses on my BMQ and SQ courses. I ended up wearing my glasses most of the time on both courses. It's less of a hassle.. usually. It does get annoying doing gas mask drills, as it's one more thing to do, and you need a safe place to stash your glasses..

Getting something to help keep your glasses, like an.. elastic (I can't think of the word either) will definatley help.

I brought contacts and glasses to my basic training, and lost a contact in the first week.  Glasses were definitely much less of a hassle, and contacts are verboten in the field anyway.  My glasses frames had flexible rubber half-circles to hook around the ears, and these were fantastic.  Glasses never fell off, and I could wear them under my gas mask and still get a good seal.  No need for a glasses-band, and no extra step during gas drills.

Eyewear Retainer.  You can pick them up at your local "Sunglass Hut" for $10, though i'm sure you could find them anywhere that carries a variety of retail eyewear.  Maybe even Shoppers Drugmart.  The ones I got at Sunglass Hut are very functional, and working as a carpenter I have a hard time keeping my eyewear (sunglasses, safety glasses) on without them.  Hope this helps.

doesn't the army issue you glasses?

You know those big black buddy holly glasses?

Blindspot said:
Raquette said:

For me, section tactics was a pain because my lenses kept fogging in the summer heat. I took them off during a brief respite in the prone position, forgot I had laid them down and crunch. Running around with the platoon, not being able to recognise anyone at distance makes you look real stupid. Not to mention spending the rest of basic with green duct tape wrapped around the middle of the frame. I would recommend finding lenses that don't fog and make sure they are securely fastened to your head.

Where you wearing glass contacts? Because I've never heard of normal, soft contacts fogging up or breaking.

Whenever I go to basic, I'm going to try the 30 day contacts, rather then have to put them in and out every morning.

jutes said:
Blindspot said:
Raquette said:

My apologies - I meant glasses. The lenses of my glasses kept fogging up and I broke my glasses after removing them to clean the lenses, laying them in front of my body, then laying on them after forgetting I had taken them off!   :D
Where you wearing glass contacts? Because I've never heard of normal, soft contacts fogging up or breaking.

Whenever I go to basic, I'm going to try the 30 day contacts, rather then have to put them in and out every morning.

G3RM said:
doesn't the army issue you glasses?

You know those big black buddy holly glasses?

That gave me a good laugh, thanks I needed that  ;D

I simply don't understand why the army doesn't like contacts during basic. I didn't have to start wearing glasses or contacts until I was 18 ( 4 years ago )and it was a huge shock to me to learn that I needed them. Although I am totally used to wearing my contacts today, I never wear my glasses.  I have just bought those 30 day lenses and they are fine. I have been debating as to whether I should bring my glasses with me at all. I am worried if I do bring them, they might force me to wear them for whatever bull shit reason they have, in which case I would be extremely pissed off. The only situation I can think of where I may want to take them off is during the gassing, which wouldn't be a big deal since my normal vision is ok, only -1.5 and -1.75 correction.
In any case, I will prolly just bring my contacts and if they bitch about it enough I'll just get them sent to basic by mail.

Yeah I'm gonna bring my 2 week disposable contacts as well as dust off my glasses and bring them. The 2 week disposable ones can be worn for about a month with no problems.

I bet these rules were made up by people who have never worn contacts and just assume that they always fall out like in the movies, although in reality they never ever fall out, as they are stuck right in your eyes and unless you physically take your finger and rub them out, they wont budge. Even when you close your eyes and rub them they wont move. It takes 1 minute to wash your hands and put them in in the morning, and 1 minute to take them out at night. If you were out in the field overnight then obviously you would not be able to wash your hands, and they would be a bad idea to take out with dirty hands, but on base during training I can't imagine how they could be a problem. I have a feeling the gas will hurt my eyes weather I have contacts or not. Contacts will be especially good when marching in the rain, as I can remember not being able to see a damn thing with glasses covered in water.

So bring em both, the worst they can do is tell you not to wear them for some dumb reason.

While in garrison, the only good reason to wear glasses rather than contacts is that extra minute in the morning and evening screwing around with them.  Believe it or not, that can be a valuable minute.  Joining instructions for some basic courses will say candidates aren't allowed contact lenses, but I disagree with this.  If a recruit can budget the time to take care of them, then that should be fine.

In the field is a completely different story.  You will be cammed up.  You will be dirty.  Your face will be in the mud.  If something gets under your contact (which is entirely likely) the only way you'll be able to deal with it is pull the contact out and throw it away, because you won't have a minute to wash your hands and stick your finger in your eye.

In the gas huts, contacts will trap CS gas in between the lens and your eye, and you'll be dealing with the effects of the gas in your eyes for a while even after you leave the gas hut.  CS is a mild chemical agent- other agents can fuse the plastic of the lens directly to your eyeball, requiring removal with a scalpel.  Not a pretty picture.

clasper said:
In the gas huts, contacts will trap CS gas in between the lens and your eye, and you'll be dealing with the effects of the gas in your eyes for a while even after you leave the gas hut.  CS is a mild chemical agent- other agents can fuse the plastic of the lens directly to your eyeball, requiring removal with a scalpel.  Not a pretty picture.

agree, have u take any chemistry lab?! what I know is you can't wear ur lens with u during in the lab, because the chemical, specailly they produce gas may destory ur lens. You can image what will happen if lens dissolve on ur eyes.

It's not a fashion show anyways, so you don't have to worry about people commenting on how ugly you look in glasses.

Especially when they get taped up.  ;)

Glasses can be annoying sometimes, but life's a bitch.

I just want to follow up on this subject. I did the BMQ/SQ with my contacts in the whole time. I want to say for the record for anyone who is wondering. CS gas does not do anything extra bad to your eyes if your wearing contacts. I was wearing mine when I went in the hut and I had my eyes open for about at least 5 seconds before I put my mask on. It stung like a bitch for a few minutes, but eventually it went away. I was in the field doing the FTX for 10 days and I didnt have any problems wth my contacts either. They are 30 day breathables by the way.

On the subject of glasses and the gas mask, it's just somthing you've got to get used to. Personally, when I pull off whatever headdress I'm wearing, rather then drop it with the opening facing down as you're supposed to do as part of the drill (While I know and understand the logic behind behind droping your helmet with the opening down, the way I figure, CS gas doesn't bother me, and in any actual situation where you've got a bunny suit on, the helmet goes on *over* the hood anyway) I drop it opening up, next my glasses come off, then the mask goes on. No problem to do it all in the time allotted.

Ummm... why not bring both contacts and glasses? Honestly... its not like they're going to weigh you down!! See what works for you on the job, and if nothing else you can wear your contacts to the bar when you get leave.

I'm hoping they'll somehow have better contacts technology-wise by the time I do BMQ (Once I've completed my Law & Security program in 2010), but I'm sure it will be glasses if nothing else comes along. Why take the chance with dirt/gas, I figure. If anyone in the field has positive contact experiences, feel free to share.

Back