• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What;s Going To Happen?

ArmouredAnger

Inactive
Reaction score
What is the likelihood of being selected for the army if I have little work experience, and a history of marijuana use?

your marijuana use will be the biggest factor, when you go for your aptitude test they will hand you a form that asks about the history of drug use in your life.

It asks about what you've used, the frequency, how many times overall, and lastly the most recent time.

If you are still using stop now, and wait several months before applying. If they take concern with how recently you've used they will defer your application to a later date.

Telling the truth is not illegal, but lying on the form is. Punishable by jail time, and you will be kicked out of the army.

As for the lack of work history that shouldn't bear too much issue, you will simply have a bit of a harder time finding your five years of references.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate that. I posted the question yesterday in a huge tidal wave of a paragraph. In it I spoke about my life and how im rough around the edges and I was asking if id be accepted or not. I decided less was more when it came to someone wanting to read about my problem and give me an answer.

Im glad the work history shouldn't be a problem.. But i basically quit marijuana FOR the army, and if they tested me right now Im sure it would show up.

I guess they will probably decline my app huh?.. Oh well I suppose.. Maybe If they do decline me I can take a year and get into really good shape mentally and physically and try for reg forces. I applied for reserve because I had thought it would be easier to get accepted, due to there being less people applying for that one unit rather than a ton of people applying for regular force.

Hello,

I'm not in the CF (yet, I suppose) but my experience is quite similar to yours.

I was recently offered to join the CF (Army) after a relatively short time in the recruiting process. I have used marijuana in the past (five years prior to my declaring it to the recruiter) and only had one job before joining. So, I can tell you that it is certainly possible.

With that said, I have been under the impression that the military wants there to be more than a few months of non-usage before you declare it to them. Not sure how many (I have heard 6 months) or if it's even true. Even if it isn't, smoking up the day before your interview or medical isn't a good idea. Best to get used to not using drugs now. And to your credit, it sounds like you have.

I'm willing to bet that at least 40% of the population, and I believe that's a conservative estimate, has tried marijuana at least once in their lives. The CF would have a significantly diminished recruiting pool if they outright banned people who have used it from joining up. What they do want, however, is commitment to their policy of non-usage. Make it clear to them when asked about drugs that you are not interested in further use. It's what I did.

Best of luck!

Thanks HK93! (Awesome weapon btw)

I go for the fitness evaluation this morning and haven't smoked since the day before posting my question! (2 or 3 days)

I don't think that will be good enough to be accepted but I going to be honest with my recruiter and hopefully it all works out.

If I am denied or deferred until later I decided not to let it bother me and only to use that time to become stronger, healthier and more capable to serve our military needs.

Thanks guys! I hope to see you on the battlefield one day.

Back