• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What One General Hopes For from Media

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Not available as a link online, but found this interesting quote in an article (see below for full citation, and here's a summary - am trying to get a copy of full article to share) by Major General Tony Cucolo, Chief of U.S. Army Public Affairs, about what the military expects from the media, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

.... For your part of the media–military relationship, members of the media, the Army asks for only a few simple things: follow your ethics; make every story as complete a story as possible; hold yourselves to the same high standard of truth-telling, accuracy and proficiency you do us; try to apply your ethic of ‘limitation of harm’ to Soldiers, their Families and your country’s security and well-being; and when one of your fellow journalist-professionals fails to live up to your ethics or does shoddy work, call them on it. Publicly.  We understand the sometimes cut-throat nature of the competition media face. We know you need access, transparency, recognition of your deadline, and as much information as we can tell you – or at least the reason ‘why’ we cannot tell you. But in return we ask you to report all sides of a story, not just the elements of data that prove a premise or working thesis. And therein is our greatest frustration of late in our side of this relationship: agenda journalism.  Several times in the past year, journalists have requested our support in pursuit of their stories, been granted incredible access – hours of interviews with all levels of the Army, full disclosure up to the point of classified data – and then cherry-picked what they wished in order to sound-bite their way to a factually unsupportable premise. And when confronted with the missing facts and the rest of the incomplete story, editors and producers utter the mantra ‘we stand by our reporter’ and knowing peer professionals (and competitors) shrug their shoulders and turn away.

Let there be no misunderstanding, this is not an issue of ‘good news’ versus ‘bad news’, but rather complete versus incomplete. We accept the negative stories; we understand you will and should hold us accountable to the public. But the public, like us, expects you to get it right and as complete as possible, and when they get it wrong or only tell half the story, the public also expects you to correct the inaccurate or incomplete story that has now gone from newscast or print to several thousand blogs and perhaps a call for a congressional hearing. News organizations must look to their ethical code, and when one of your peers fails to meet your own expectations of that code, make that a story. One might imagine the standards of journalism would improve and the public would be better served ....

Major General Tony Cucolo, "The military and the media: shotgun wedding, rocky marriage, committed relationship," Media, War & Conflict, Vol. 1, No. 1, 84-89 (2008), DOI: 10.1177/1750635207087628.

I think they call that "whistling into the wind".....

A related Torch post:

Afstan: Spinning madly to declare defeat
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/10/afstan-spinning-madly-to-declare-defeat.html

Mark
Ottawa

To expect truthful,unbiased reporting from the majority of North American
MSM is a waste of time.They are leftist for the most part,and completely
biased.
  I think they are also ignorant.Don't know if my next statement is correct
or not,but I've heard that credits in subjects such as History are not even
required for a career in journalism.
I'll always remember a Rembrance Day report by John Musselman,of
"the award-winning CTV News Team",years ago.Johnny was describing
how Canadian Troops in the First World War boarded Transport Aircraft
to reach the trenches in Europe... ::)

It's unfortunate for the honest journalist, but many now place reporters and their ilk in the same barrel as politicians, lawyers and used car salesmen, and sadly, many, many of them meet that expectation.

The leadership in most news organization have let their personal ideology and the needs for ratings turn them into little more then extensions of one political party or another. 

Well when over 80% of the media being liberals and anti-military its hard to get the story past the newsroom editor.Most of the good reporting was done by free lancers.

A media which would print half-truths,disinformation/lies,about their own Military
in a time of war...I think the word "traitor" would apply.

A superb post by Terry Glavin, with much on this Sunday Times piece:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4882597.ece

Jack Layton and Afghanistan: The Latest Dispatches From A Parallel Universe
http://transmontanus.blogspot.com/2008/10/jack-layton-and-afghanistan-latest.html

Mark
Ottawa

tomahawk6 said:
MG Tony Cucolo is now CG 3ID at Ft Stewart,Ga.

Thanks for the update T6 - have emailed him to see if I can get the full article to share.

The only full version was at a pay site. While I think Tony's comments are always insightful I just wouldnt pay $20 to read them. ;D

tomahawk6 said:
The only full version was at a pay site. While I think Tony's comments are always insightful I just wouldnt pay $20 to read them. ;D

I don't blame you - that's is why I'm hoping I might get a freebie somehow to share with you and the others  ;)  It's worked quite well in the past (five just-short-of-grovelling requests, five .pdfs sent) with military academics, so nothing ventured...

tomahawk6 said:
The only full version was at a pay site.
The full version is here.  No charge

http://mwc.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/1/1/84

gwp said:
The full version is here.  No charge

http://mwc.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/1/1/84

Good catch - thanks!

Back