• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to due when loading arty piece

Bin-Rat

Inactive
Reaction score
Okay I dunno if any of you have seen this, but I go to the BF2RS group and had been reading
thier posts, and someone posted this link,
http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2005/extreme-kickback-p1.php?fromrelated=1

Now they called it funny, but sorry I don't think it is funny, and really it's shocking but I guess
something like that can happen.. Question is to you arty guy's, is what went wrong in that video..
Did he forget his static strap or something ???

Just curious, but I guessa good lesson to pass onto someone who is or might be comming or
going into the Artillery field...

That's either a 6-pounder or a US 57mm ATG, no?  Which army is it? It's possible that's a privately owned artillery piece (such things do exist, mainly among re-enactment groups in the States). Given the age of the piece, apparent inexperience of the crew, and funky helmets, that could even be some "Militia" group - what is the provenance of that clip?

The Topic should be "What not to do when loading an artillery piece".  This vidieo has been around for some time, and on this site before.  I believe it was taken in Korea.

If memory serves me correct the breach closes automatically on that AT gun when shell is loaded and the firing mech is on the back of the breach and is armed on closing. Two ways to fire the gun from the back of the breach or by switch/lanyard. It would appear the gun armed and his second and third push on the breach accidentally hit the firing pin mech. Big gun go boom.

I thought we figured out the nationality and some more info on this when it was posted a year or two ago...

Either way, it still amazes me how slow the others appear to be reacting to buddy getting thrown back so far.

Oppps I guess My bad... I hadn't read all the Combat arms/arty thread and I didn't know that this had been posted a couple of year's ago...

So I apoligise for the re-post...

But I was a Supply Tech, so seeing anything on the Arty side is new for me... i did spend 2 year's working with 1 Hussar's, and learned some things about them, but that's about it.....

But as I first posted, they say it was or is funny, and I myself don't think it was or is... I know each trade has thier own Dangers and situations 
And to see this one, made me see one that I didn't know one faced behind those big guns.

So, again sorry my bad... I'll do a tad more research before I throw something like this on the board again....

And ya, I was surprised there wasn't really a panic type mode, like OMG, Medic, being screamed out after that incident, just seems like a casual walk or maybe they were shocked and didn't know what the heck to do..
But, thanks for the replies..

Judging by the ground... I'm willing to bet that, along with a newly aquired fear of guns, that troop learnt to strap on his helmet too. It appears as if the helmet flew off as he flew back.

Back