• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

178.  Keep things in perspective; after a week in the field you may be worried about how soon you can get back to the shack to change and head out to the strip club for the first time this week.  Your Section Commander may have missed another parent teacher interview, your Section 2IC might have missed seeing his daughter take her first steps.  Until you understand what's happening around you, don't think your personal life is so important it overshadows the lives of those around you.

179.  Know that old guy wearing the faded old QL2 8401 t-shirt with a tri-service badge, a skull, some snakes and a lame saying on it? Think of that when you're recommend a course tattoo.

180. If your rifle is ever father than fingertip length away, it's too far away.

181.  Slings are handy but are no substitute for your hands.  See above.

182.  If you've ever failed PWT 1 think about getting more range time than the yearly qualification shoot.  This doesn't require an accompanying bit of humor because, really, we're all laughing at the thought of someone failing PWT 1.

183.  That $600 you're thinking of spending on an anti-tank knife is probably better spent on a fantastic pair of boots and a fresh pair of running shoes.  If your running shoes are more than a year old, replace them.

184.  If you think it's a booby trap, it's a booby trap.  If you've thought of booby trapping it, it's booby trapped.  If that dirt pile wasn't there last time you came through, it's a booby trap.   That pile of wires looks suspiciosus?  It's a booby trap.  Anything that you think would look cool at home is booby trapped.

185.  Your own stupidity may not kill you, it could kill your buddy.

186.  Overseas, keep your comments to your self.  Sometimes, people won't admit they speak English (or French), and when you start talking like Archie Bunker, they get angry.

187.  Find out who Archie Bunker was.

188.  "Good enough" isn't.

189.  Be professional at all times, in our out of uniform.  Like it or not, 24/7 you are a representative of the CF.  Your stupidity will reflect on more than just yourself, it reflects on the entire Forces.

190.  Decorum marks the soldier, not the kit.  Google "Cosmotactical."

191.  If you are the only one who is right, you are wrong.

192.  Volunteering or being first isn't always bad.  Being last is.

193.  If you think you're looking cool doing something, you're either not looking cool or not doing it correctly.
     (a) Visit http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/common/combatcamera/Default.asp.  Find the ones who are looking cool and seperate them from the guys who are doing their jobs.  Guess which group warrants emulation.

194.  Never listen to "them."

195.  40 isn't old.  Remember that when you're 30, still living in the PMQ's or SQ's and your only equity is a crotch rocket and a 200" TV.

196. You are too young to have war stories. You did not lead a battle while in Cadets. You are not anything but a recruit. Learn to live with the preceding and embrace it, this will be the only time in your career when you'll be the FNG, from now on you'll be expected to learn, to remember, to teach, to help, etc. Like Mom said, do not grow up too fast.

197. Speak in even tones, don't scream at anyone, it confuses people, gets them excited and makes them want to punch you. You will not look very professional jumping around like a baboon or with busted teeth.

198. Do not hog the phone, there are other people who may wish to call home and there are never enough phones for all. Be the guy who everyone remembers for pulling their weight and always lending a hand to someone who needs it.

199. Your buddies girlfriend just told him she fornicated with the entire athletic department at a very large University, he wants to talk. So talk to him but do not become his crutch. You are not a psychologist, you certainly are not his psychologist and maybe this is something, if it's that serious, that the Staff should know about. Re-read 123b

199a. If your buddy is talking about hurting himself you had better remember that he has access to weapons. It is not a blade if you save someones life or get them help that they really need.

200. Make your loved ones proud, write to them while you are away, this will make them feel better about you being gone.

200a. If your mother is still around and is a decent woman then you had better write to her!

200b. Girls, write to Dad, he's off his rocker with worry and pride.

202. It's gonna suck sometimes. No way around it.

203. Carrying the 203 isn't punishment, it's the section cmdr's way of letting you know he trusts you to know to use that bad boy.

204. Yes, the MCPL/SGT/WO/SarMajor *is* a flaming prick. And there ain't shit you can do about it, so stop pointing out the obvious, Captain Obvious.

205. Don't be the bad example that your leadership uses as a teaching point to the rest of the section/platoon.

206. Don't be light, don't be late, and don't be last.

207. Finish ugly if you have to, but finish.

208. Never forget that one perfect patrol you get, when you have boss weather, a clear beautiful night, you get five uninterrupted hours of rack before heading out, and you get ahold of your favourite IMP to munch on before stepping off with three of you best buds. Burn into your memory the feeling of sneakin' and peekin', the rush of finishing your cloverleaf with that dimwit spare part on the objective thinking you got lost on the way because he never saw you or your boys putting eyes on. Remember that feeling of overwhelming competance and joy in your job. It will sustain you when you're told to sweep the hangar for the fifth fucking time that day because there is nothing else to do, or bring your spotless weapon back to CQ for the third and nowwhere near final time because he's having a shitty day and taking it out on you and your fellow shut up die rank criminals.

210. If you have no clue what to do, follow the example of the nearest senior CPL.
      210a. Unless he's still a Corpral (with two CDs) against his will.

211. Be there for buddy, don't fuck buddy, help buddy when he needs it, kick buddy in the ass when he needs it. Avoid, castigate, and disown buddy that won't do the same for you.

212. Your loyalty to the Regiment outweighs your personal loathing of the shitpumps that sometimes wind up wearing your capbadge. Protect all who wear your capbadge as if protecting your own brother/sister.
      212a Unless that person wearing your capbadge is knowingly/willingly doing something that will disgrace or harm the Regiment. Then it's your personal responsibility to stomp that crapweasel.

213. Section cmdrs can't make you a smarter private, but they can and will make you a stronger private. Don't fuck with them.

214.find people higher to emulate and pick their traits apart develop yourself with everything they do that you like.

215.no matter how many hours you sit and bitch about something it will never change.Maybe you have the answer no one thought of respectfully speak up.

216.Until a Cpl Tell's you to call him mike ,George ,or sweetie don't.Just cause one cpl with no friends is your buddy doesn't mean the crusty guy in the corner is on a first name basis.

217. The hook trooper who drops by your room the first day you arrive at the shacks should be avoided like disease.He's there to tell you all about his grand 7 months at the regiment, and most likely he has one friend and that's now you.

218.  Call your wife/husband at the same rate as your peers.  If they are calling once a day and you are calling once every two weeks, your spouse is talking to the other spouses and will know right away.  S/he will make your tour overseas a living hell as well as those in your administrative chain of command when she calls the rear party freaking out.  Make an agreement before you leave as to how often you will be able to talk/email/write.

219.  The Sigs guys are your friends.  Do not piss them off or abuse the services they provide, or you won't be calling home to anybody.

220.  Do not give your significant other the CSN access # to the overseas camp you are on.  Things go a little sour when there is a female switchboard operator and someones wife is on the line demanding to know who the operator is and where her husband is. (uhh...WHO?)

221. (My most important one) Do not take life too seriously, try to make the best of every situation.  You probably did not join the military because you thought you would hate it.  Take things with a grain of salt, and love what you do.  Optimism is contagious, spread the love.  If you approach things in a fun and positive way, then it makes those around you worry less about the fact they are away from their families, and focus more on the task at hand.

Gotta say that this is a great string, wish some of us were around when I jioned up.  But, then again, some things are better learned thru experience than instruction.

222.  Proper Planning Prevents Piss-poor Performance.  Plan, plan and plan some more. If you think you're going to need it on tour or in the bush, pack it!  It's better to have that item and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  First Rule of the Field--Any Idiot  can be uncomfortable.

223.  Before you go away on tour, IF you and your significant other are having problems of any sort; let the social worker know during your DAG interview.  Any small problem will get HUGE ten fold while you're away.  Remember, nowadays, your significant other mostly has the last word about your departure. Never go away angry at each other, never fight on the phone and always let them know how much they mean to you.
    223b.  Significant other--Always let your other know how much they mean to you and how proud you are of them.  Never bring up bad stuff on the phone (rembember: charlie is listening ;D)

224.  You will never be "irreplaceable".  Nor will you know everything about your job.
      224b.  If you didn't learn something today, it's been a wasted day.

225.  That honking big tome of a novel you are reading at home (that you think the guys will make fun of you for) makes a great companion on the long plane ride.  Besides, when you're done with it, you can give it to the camp library.  If your sig. other has read it, then it can give you a subject of discussion besides "well, same sh*t, different day here honey."

226.  Mind/puzzle games are great for long periods of monotony.  Not only do they help pass the time, but they help improve your problem solving skills that will come in handy later in your career.
      end for now.    :cdn:

231. Look after your knees. You will miss them when they are gone. Same goes for hips, backs, and ankles.

232. Cool tattoos are forever. Stupid tattoos are also forever. Tattoos you cannot cover will be there for every job interview, every first date, every meet the in-laws, and every meet the teacher night for the rest of your life. Tattoos you can cover will be there for every second date, or third date at the outside.

233. Talk to the grey haired fellows in the Legion, the ones with all the medals. They appreciate it. You will too. Listen more than you talk. Many lessons still matter 60 years later. Normandy was tougher than Battle School.

234. Odds are pretty good that someone in your platoon is predisposed to alcoholism. Bear that in mind if you go out drinking every weekend. Know the signs and watch for them. Help your friend, don't make it worse. NEVER force someone to drink who doesn't want to. It's not weakness, it's a disease.

235. It doesn't matter if you release tomorrow and live to be 100. A part of you will always be a soldier. The way you start your career will set the tone for the rest of your life. Do it right.

236. Stretch.

237. Just because you have no way to spend money for long times during course doesn't mean you have to go blow 400 bucks on booze in one sitting. Read 234 a few more times, please.

238. There are people who think soldiers are arseholes, you can do nothing about this except to act as though you wish to change that opinion, not reinforce it for them.

239. No, you may not beat the anti-war protesters. Yes, they have the right to do what they are doing. Yes, you defend that right. Yes, you can tell them that (If in the position to) No, you may not tell them with vulgarity. Read 238 again.

Add on to 233 - Yes you are the serving soldier now and everyone knows how tough you are, but perhaps you should be the one buying the beers when those chats are happening, those men have really earned it, maybe, some day, you will have as well.

240.  During post ex and post op drills, nobody is done until the CQ/SQ says so.

241.  Listen.  Lots and often.

242.  Expand your professional knowledge.  Seek out those who you can learn from.

243.  Learn to fight.  Learn how to fight, with and without weapons.  More importantly, learn when to fight.

244.  Never drop or throw anything that could keep you alive (rifle, helmet, ballistic plates, compass, water bottle, etc. etc.)

I am currently on my Sig Op MOC appren training in Kingston.  After rereading this thread and having come to know and work with many of the peopel that have responded to this thread over the past year, I must say, this is a very cool experience.  Last September I was sitting in my kitchen posting questions and fears about BMQ.  Now I'm a BMQ, SQ, 404, winter warfare qualified private.  Still a little fish in the pond but..man, I have had so many experiences over the past year.  I am truly happy with my decision to join the forces.  I have made many new friends (and at 35 years of age that ain't always easy), I've gained many new role models and individuals who inspire me, and damn, I'm still having a ball.

Looking back, the most difficult times are the ones I remember and am proudest of.  Because we worked together and got through it. 

Sorry if this was mentioned before.

Tip: When on BMQ, DO NOT LAUGH at anyone else in the ranks.  At my BMQ yesterday we had someone who laughed at a fellow Pte when he kept making mistakes.  Since we all make mistakes, that's pretty damn low. 

Are there any policies or rules against juice or tea if you supply yourself? I like to drink green tea all day (substitute for water) and have a daily serving of Himalayan Goji juice purely for the health benefits that these drinks provide. This includes a 30% enhancement for stength, endurance, stamina, muscle recovery and repair, energy levels, sensory acceleration, improved immune function and response, support and enhancement for vital organs, blood and memory, DNA repair and many others. If I don't absolutely HAVE TO leave my green tea and Goji juice behind...I won't. I'd like to know now if I can bring them to BMQ and beyond so that if I can't I will stop now and get used to training without them.

ready to go said:
Are there any policies or rules against juice or tea if you supply yourself? I like to drink green tea all day (substitute for water) and have a daily serving of Himalayan Goji juice purely for the health benefits that these drinks provide. This includes a 30% enhancement for stength, endurance, stamina, muscle recovery and repair, energy levels, sensory acceleration, improved immune function and response, support and enhancement for vital organs, blood and memory, DNA repair and many others. If I don't absolutely HAVE TO leave my green tea and Goji juice behind...I won't. I'd like to know now if I can bring them to BMQ and beyond so that if I can't I will stop now and get used to training without them.

Good sweet Christ...

And you call yourself "ready to go"???

Carry what you want - brew what you want - but don't expect any sympathy when you can't get your "Goji Juice".

Gott im Himmel ....

I am currently on my Sig Op MOC appren training in Kingston.  After rereading this thread and having come to know and work with many of the peopel that have responded to this thread over the past year, I must say, this is a very cool experience.  Last September I was sitting in my kitchen posting questions and fears about BMQ.  Now I'm a BMQ, SQ, 404, winter warfare qualified private.  Still a little fish in the pond but..man, I have had so many experiences over the past year.  I am truly happy with my decision to join the forces.  I have made many new friends (and at 35 years of age that ain't always easy), I've gained many new role models and individuals who inspire me, and damn, I'm still having a ball.

Looking back, the most difficult times

One of the things that I'll remember most about the CF is the friendships I made while I was in BMQ, as well as during my short time here. As well as some of the cool things you get to do, however for anybody thinking of joining my advice is to go reserves first, get an idea of what it is like then go fulltime. Sure being out in the field is alot of fun, but theirs alot more different aspects to the job then that.

Either way to all of you going, good luck, make the best of it, and most importantly, HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!

ready to go said:

According to the joining package, it states that no food is to be brought. It will be confiscated. Also, no food or beverages are to be consumed in your quarters. Not sure where you intend to hide those things. Unless you can get your doctor to prescribe them to you, I doubt they will allow you to bring them on BMQ.

Thinking of the title "no excuse", I remember someone in my squad on trg Sgt's inspection tried the "No excuse Sgt" routine when he was asked why his kit was a bag of crap.  She just looked at him and said - "No excuse is not an excuse or answer - start pumping until you think of one."  He got to 85 pushups, despite being stopped periodically and asked if he'd thought of an excuse.  As the MCpl pointed out to him, "I'd of thought of something, anything after about pushup number 1".

He wasn't with us much longer.

MM

ready to go said:

Proof?

Such has how you know its an exact 30% boost?

Sounds like a miracle drink,

"Goji Juice is now undergoing intense scrutiny as a cancer drug in Mongolia, China, Japan and Switzerland. It has been found that the fruit, as well as an extract from its leaves, can kill many kinds of cancer cellsin vitro"

RTG, I suggest you start learning to live without your "Goji Juice." As for the green tea, I don't see why it would be a problem bringing your own bags (or loose) into the field, as they occasionally come in the IMPs.

247a. When you say, "It won't happen again, [rank]." You had better make damn sure that it does not happen again, ever. Do not be afraid to make mistakes, you will. Learn from them and soldier on. Do not repeat mistakes you should have already learned from.

Back