• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

I have read every page here and i feel like I have DONE the BMQ haha, I have gone through so many emotions, unil finally setteling on calm, becuase everywhere I read i see people who put an emphasis on being calm, thakfully this is easy for me, and I can take critisism really easy, Sorry for my spelling by the way, I try to spell good but it doesn' turn out to well (Technology, eh?).

Anyways, thanks for all the tips and the author of this topic! I just have a few questions.

I am applying soon and my recruiter said I might be able to get into summer BMQ (I am in high school still and I am joining the reserves) 1) I had a friend tell me BMQ is only for reg force, yet i saw different on here, any input? and if the previous question premits, 2) a 14 week BMQ? that doesn' even fit in the summer! 3 and a half months, I won't even be back for semester 1! any info that can be given will be great help.

Reservists do BMQ as well.  Some do it on weekends, others do it in the summer but I don't think it's 14 weeks anymore.

What do you want elaborated?

PMedMoe told you that reserves do in fact do BMQ and AgentSmith gave you the length of the course 4 weeks for the BMQ and then another 4 for the BMQ(L) which you do after your BMQ. 

Seems pretty clear to me.

sorry its just that I don't think my recruiter informed me enough, we were pressed for time, it was teh BMQ (L) that got me a little eyebrow cocked, well i am joining the reg force when im of age! because I might as well work on physical fitness and pay close attention now rather than be new to it when I am recruit going into reg force, that is, if my signing contract permits me to re-take my BMQ.

If you already have a BMQ when you CT (Component Transfer) into the Reg F, you may not have to do it again.

It would be nice to redo the BMQ for the 14 weeks, but I am assuming after my reserves BMQ and if I stay in for a few years it is more than unnecessary.

If you already have BMQ there's no point in redoing it since it would just be a waste of time. It would be better for you to get your BMQ and trade course done, spend a few years in your unit then transfer over into whatever trade you want and only have to do your QL3. Why do a lot of reservists want to do the reg force BMQ?

AgentSmith said:
Why do a lot of reservists want to do the reg force BMQ?

Perhaps 13 weeks vice 4 would indicate that the res is trained up equally to Reg. :rofl:

You know the one.

You bring you right hand up quickly and smartly, keeping it close to your body, fingers together and straight, your right elbow going out keeping your upper arm parallel to the ground, your finger tips touching your right eyebrow and hold for a count of two three then smartly and quickly return your hand to your side.  Sure!  You know the one.

;D

AD NAUSEUM!

When I went to college for my accounting diploma, I did not ask myself questions like:
- How many pens? Black? Blue? Green?
- Marqueurs? Yellow? Pink?
- How many pages a book? 100? 1000?
- Teachers attitudes? Nice? Not?
- Should I wear a skirt, pygamas, pants... a clowns' outfit?
etc... etc... etc...

I went into class, every day, 40 hours a week. Had plenty of books to learn, plenty of teachers to respect and listen to, plenty of work (TRUST ME ON THAT ONE), plenty of exams (TRUST ME ON THAT ONE ALSO) and very high scores to obtain if I wanted to perform well.

This thread is full of repeatedly QUESTIONS and repeatedly ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS.
AD NAUSEUM!

What I can see is that we got a lot of answers from (dedicated and very patient) people who are part of the army, have done their BMQ and therefor KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
We should all take their advice (RELAX, DO AS TOLD, ASK QUESTIONS) and... move on without creating a new post to ask the same questions again because we didn't take the time to read the pages AD NAUSEUM!
Let's respect all the time these people took and spare them the fact of having to answer questions such as: "... Can I bring my TV, Laptop, cell phone...." BRING BOOKS!!!!!
I, mysef, was wondering about all these things. I did something very simple: went onto the Saint-Jean recruts school's internet page and found out an ENORMOUS AMOUNT of answers to my questions. Including: "how much money should I bring with me?" Answer: 150$
And if you search well enough, you'll even find a list of what you should bring with you!
SIMPLE.

Now all I have to do is wait for my process to be completed and then go to my MBQ with MY EARS WIDE OPEN and a "LET'S WORK TOGETHER ATTITUDE" knowing very well that I will soon enough find out about all the little tricks needeed if I don't want to be in trouble.

This is stressing for any of us "wanabes" (by the way I hate this term ;)) in the process. Let's be ZEN as much as we can about it and listen to those who have the experience because they've been there before us. This is what we call a role model.

Have a good day all,
Alea

P.S.: Sorry for my english. It's not my first language so you might find a few mistakes.

Couldn't agree more, Alea.
I wouldn't expect it to change overnight though. Many of the young applicants are applying after grade 10 or immediately after high school. I would suspect many still live at home, and some have never had a job. Your college analogy is a good one (I liked the part about the pens), but the attitude you're trying to convey only comes with experience. Having never been through any sort of application process before; applying to the armed forces would be a very daunting undertaking.

I'm an applicant myself, and yet have found myself more than once reading posts about what to wear, what to do with their hands while they wait, etc... and shaking my head. I believe that the concern about every little silly detail comes from a genuine desire to do everything right throughout the application process, and even if that results in repeated posts about obscure questions, I still think it means their heart is in the right place, and with a little guidance, their heads will follow.

Best of luck to anyone out there waiting for a call. (and me!)

mew!

Alea. Mew. Great points. There is a over complicating syndrome that seems to press like dawns first light- but that goes for anything that anyone is trying to do their best as you mentioned Mew. 
sense of things.

I'm not a wise old trout but just from what I've experienced so far a good rule of thumb is use your best judgement. Will you need a pen? Likely as it's an everyday tool. Would you need a pen more than a fancy new engraved K-bar knife ? Should you wear a suit and look professional? Do these men and women you're asking for a career from not hold themselves to a higher standard of dress and fitness and attention to detail than the general public and wear a uniform resembling a suit a number of the times ?  Yeah.  But I doubt they spent six months prior to Basic training folding thier clothes to spec and waking up at 5 am.

Just my comments on what was just touched on above.  Good posts I thought.

yeah i'll definitely have to work on the sleeping thing a week or two prior to leaving cause right now i go to bed at like 4am and sleep till about 3pm, lol

A week to adjust to a new sleep schedule?...I'd give it about a month. I uesd to work rotating MAD shifts and believe me a week is nothing. Once the plant closed, I started a new job which was days and it took almost a month for my body to adjust. When it comes to preparing yourself for a new sleeping pattern or exercixe routine, give yourself lots of time...a couple weeks isn't going to cut it. 

Getting ready to wake up at 5am is like practicing for a kick in the balls......

It hurts when you practice, it still hurts when its for real.

Here's my 2 cents. I just finished BMQ at St-Jean 2 weeks ago.

I HIGHLY suggest going to cpgear.com and get yourself an order on a nametag, flap and a  :cdn: shoulder flag because St-Jean sent us to our new units without those and guess what, the QM here (Kingston, can't talk for other bases) has ran out of shoulder flags and we got told that getting our nametag (the cadpat one) could take up to 6 months.

I dunno why St-Jean keeps those but I'm guessing that they're running dry and figured our new units would have everything ready for us without even noticing them.

The result is a bunch of graduates going into a mess for their first meal in a new unit and have all the officers stare at you and questioning you about your missing flap, nametag, shoulder flag...

It could just have been this 1 course I came from though, remains to be confirmed by other graduates from St-Jean.

Back