• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What makes a good soldier?

Keyboard

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been reading around this forum for a while, and I've got a question.  I keep reading about Reserve Force soldiers trying out and making it through JTF-2 selection and the SOAC.  Now, whenever someone describes a Reserve Soldier who has gone to selection, they are described as "switched on", or being "hardcore".  Now, what I'm trying to ask here, is what does someone mean when they say a soldier is "switched on", and what kind of character traits are the elite units looking for?  I would imagine, professionalism, dedication and maturity are key, but what other traits would a Reserve Soldier be able to work on to improve one's soldiering ability, as well as the chance of making it through selection if one were so inclined to try out?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Keyboard said:
I've been reading around this forum for a while, and I've got a question.  I keep reading about Reserve Force soldiers trying out and making it through JTF-2 selection and the SOAC.  Now, whenever someone describes a Reserve Soldier who has gone to selection, they are described as "switched on", or being "hardcore".  Now, what I'm trying to ask here, is what does someone mean when they say a soldier is "switched on", and what kind of character traits are the elite units looking for?  I would imagine, professionalism, dedication and maturity are key, but what other traits would a Reserve Soldier be able to work on to improve one's soldiering ability, as well as the chance of making it through selection if one were so inclined to try out?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Intelligence would be an asset, as would mental and physical toughness. Ability to work as a member of a team.

Knows his trade and is able to apply what he has learnt - Proffessional
Physicaly fit
Has a head on his shoulder
Uses initiative
Able to act & react
Team player
Natural leader
Leads by example

IMO, that question has no answer..........no one knows what will happen to any individual until the poop is flung.

..and, thats where I think good soldier's/ people are made, not on course's, etc.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
IMO, that question has no answer..........no one knows what will happen to any individual until the poop is flung.

..and, thats where I think good soldier's/ people are made, not on course's, etc.

So true Bruce. I have seen troops who seemed to be the "poster child" for JTF fail selection, and at the same time seen guys who nobody gave a rats ass of a chance who not only passed selection but then went on to become a valuable member of the unit.

geo said:
Knows his trade and is able to apply what he has learnt - Proffessional
Physicaly fit
Has a head on his shoulder
Uses initiative
Able to act & react
Team player
Natural leader
Leads by example

IMHO - good soldiers are born to be soldiers. Everyone else have to work their butts off.

GUNS said:
IMHO - good soldiers are born to be soldiers. Everyone else have to work their butts off.

I'd change that to read:

Everyone has to work their butts off.

New Soldiers are like blank slates waiting to be filled with information. In basic training, they get the entry level instruction in tactics and techniques of their MOS, but the learning never stops. The combat arms (that's my frame of reference, so that's why I specify) are extremely complex and there are layers upon layers that make up the whole. Every team relies on every other team, and every sub-team, and every Soldier within all those sub-teams. I would go so far as to say that many Soldiers don't grasp how complicated the Army is. Especially in peacetime, you never see the thing in in full mass, even on maneuvers like the old REFORGERs. On CALFEX ranges you begin to see the complexity when combat teams move, shoot and communicate with live ammo and supporting arms.

These are the US Army's leadership principles and they go back many, many years. They've been tested and proven again and again in combat and training. I think they offer a great view of not only what it takes to be an effective leader, but to be a follower as well.

The U.S. Army's Eleven Leadership Principles

* Be tactically and technically proficient
    * Know yourself and seek self-improvement
    * Know your soldiers and look out for their welfare
    * Keep your soldiers informed
    * Set the example
    * Ensure the task is understood, supervised and accomplished
    * Train your soldiers as a team
    * Make sound and timely decisions
    * Develop a sense of responsibility in your subordinates
    * Employ your unit in accordance with its capabilities
    * Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions

cheers, Mark

Mark, those seem very similar to our Principles of Leadership :)

That doesn't surprise me MedTech. When you strip away all the unique things of nationality, the core of soldiering is the same whether you're a Canadian, American, Australian, etc. 

"One More Step"
I read this on the back of a RMC students shirt and I said to my self , self "now that sums it up doesn't it"

No matter how hard things get
No matter if you have no sleep
No matter what

"One More Step"

The ability to keep soldiering on no matter what and telling you just "One More Step"

That is what makes a good soldier

If you keep stepping forward others will see and fall in behind.  :salute:

integrity, loyalty, selflessness.

strength of mind, body and character.

compassion. 

Eye In The Sky said:
Strength of mind, body and character.

If you added 'and ethics' I would say that sums it all up.  Everything else is gravy...

Honesty, Integrity, Professionalism, Compassion, Accountability and Respect

That's what I believe in... and that's what I believe any good soldier should have.

MedTech said:
Honesty, Integrity, Professionalism, Compassion, Accountability and Respect

That's what I believe in... and that's what I believe any good soldier should have.

... add to that the heart and soul to serve and sacrifice.

MedTech said:
Mark, those seem very similar to our Principles of Leadership :)

Yes, and guess where we got them from? I beleive that they were orignally published in a US Army manual in the 70s.

To sum up, courage, mateship, and teamwork.

Sound fair?

Timmies runs in the mornings would send you up the chain quick.

Back