• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What kind of glasses should I get?

mark1993

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I am joining the infantry reserves and will need glasses. I understand I will be issued inserts for the ballistic glasses but not regular prescription glasses. Right now I have a pair of designer glasses so I don't think it would be wise for me to wear them to training. I was wondering what type of glasses would be recommended for training? I know I will be wearing the ballistic glasses while on the range, but for all the other exercises I will need a pair of regular glasses. Can anyone recommend me a pair that doesn't bounce around a lot, doesn't fall off, and is durable for BMQ?

I eagerly await the photographic suggestions that you are sure to get.

Loachman said:
I eagerly await the photographic suggestions that you are sure to get.
Ask and you shall receive.
eltonjohn7.jpg

The above glasses will keep you in style while you're slugging it out in the bush.  And although they may draw the attention of your course staff, it will only be because they are jealous of your "mad cool bling-wear".

I highly recommend Canadian.Trucker's suggestion, how ever if you aren't as flashy as Elton John, you can always go with the American classic Birth Control Glasses..  also work great for those who want to be a hipster  :D

261204568_6473ec9667.jpg

Seriously, any regular glasses you get will work out; just get ones that are a dark frame(no blues, red, etc), and are subtle in fashion. Going for frames that don't bend easy would be beneficial as well.

Oh, and a FYI any glasses you wear will at some point fog up on you.. enjoy  ;D

You should get as unbreakable frames and lens as you can afford, and/or maybe even spring for a second pair. While the system will replace your glasses if you break or lose them, there is no real guarantee it will be done in a timely manner and your training could suffer as a result.

Be proactive in getting your ballistic prescription inserts before the course or you may have to wear your own glasses. Also make sure the ballistic eyewear fits your face properly. I've had issues with ill fitting glasses (my own fault) that would slide down or get knocked out of place when I was on exercise or at the range.

During BMQ/SQ, any time you're doing anything that could potentially ruin your glasses you'd probably be in FFO (full fighting order) and can wear your ballistics. Other times (marching to places, in classes, cleaning the shacks), you can decide for yourself if your designer glasses would be at risk. If you are truly worried, there are sport glasses like Liberty Sport that are impact resistant.

edit to add: I find polycarbonate lenses (impact resistant) doesn't give the same clarity as plastic lenses, so you'll want regular glasses for lecture definitely.

lucia_engel said:
Be proactive in getting your ballistic prescription inserts before the course or you may have to wear your own glasses.

What do you mean by that getting the inserts before the course? Don't I get issued everything I need including the inserts prior to BMQ?

BEW are issued to everyone, but if you don't ask to get prescription inserts (ie. talk to your unit chain of command, make the eye exam appointment), no one's going chase you down. I've been on a couple reserve courses and not everyone who wore glasses had inserts. Those who didn't, the staff would permit wearing regular glasses. There were no time spared to take students to get inserts done while on course. I could be wrong, no one ever submitted a memo for it.

Back