• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What it was like in the 70s?

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
M

MAJOR_Baker

On the weekend my son was asking me what it was like to grow up in the 70s.  Being from Alberta I don't remember too much about vietnam, oil embargos, biafrins, soviet union, asian imports, etc.  It seems that with the present world situation his history teacher is focusing on the negatives rather than the positives.

So I came up with the Team Canada vs the Red Army team and Paul Henderson's "goal!" 

Anyone else remember a significant 70s event, negative or positive?

- Four stellar Led Zeppelin albums
- Reggie Jackson, 4 home runs from 4 different pitchers in one World Series game
- Miami Dolphins perfect season 18-0, baby, all the way to the big one
- Bohemian Rhapsody

The end of the Muscle Car  :( - when the oil prices went out of control

6 years old ans seeing Star Wars, it was phenomenal
BattleStar Gallactica
50 cents = pop Chocolate bar bag of chips a bag of ju-jubes and a pack of hockey/baseball cards or whatever was in season
Jaws came out and I didn't swim at all that summer.
My brothers sneaking me into the drive in theater on a sunday night to see Cheech and chong movies.
The Muppet's.
Playing outside because there were no real video games.
Riding bikes. Tabletop hockey.
3 channels and I was the remote control.
Good music. Girls wearing no bra's and me being the cute adorable little brother who was seen as not threat and was allowed to stay in the cottage when the girls were changing into their bathing suits......ahhh the 70's

Willy, Waylon, Boseephus and Merle. And that upstart disco dancer John Ravolta in Urban Cowboy.  ;)

Students in Toronto striking in protest against plans to increase class sizes

Lt William Calley Jr. found guilty of My Lai massacre

Patton wins an Oscar( George C Scott, best actor)

Watergate then later Ford grants Nixon a pardon

"Streaking becomes a fad"

Plane hijackings become a new form of budget holiday planning, 'anyone for Cuba.'

Summer Olympic in Montreal

Signed on the dotted line to join the CAF

How about 8 tracks
Supertramp albums
music on vinyl records
the Munich Olympic massacre
budget overruns for the Montreal Olympics
We moved from Chatham NB to Cold Lake Alta.....culture shock

Polyester leisure suits ::)

Also for me finishing High School and joining the Militia

FLQ and free trip to Montreal
  UNEF 2 free trip to Cario

Regards OLD F of S

Early 70's. Apollo Moon Program and Viet Nam winding down
"71 or '72 Kingston Pen riots (forget which year)
'72 Canada-Russia series. Way to go Paul
'73 US troops pull out of Viet Nam
"75 South Viet Nam folds
'76 Canada Cup. Bobby Orrs last hurrah
'77 Started high school (and survived many a high school dance blaring disco)
'78 Played hockey against a touring Soviet team (we lost)
'79 Iranian revolution. US embassy stormed and hostages taken (Hostages finally released when Ronnie took over from the peanut farmer)

"Good times, bad times, I know I've had my share"
Some incredible music, Zepplin, Lynrd Skynrd, Rush, Nugent, Foghat etc. Even liked some punk like the Sex Pistols!

If you want an idea of what the seventies were like, watch the movie "Dazed and Confused". Scary, it was almost like my autobiography on film! :eek:

How about the non military stuff from the 70's?

Or do you guys watch to much History Channel.....

The SON Of SAM
Charlies Angels
Threes Company
Peter Frampton
Shaft

Mover, don't need to watch the History Channel, I lived it! ;D

Try and imagine using manual typewriters, awful green dress uniforms, and lugging around a much heavier weapon in the field.  Oh yeah, milk in plastic backs. 

and lugging around a much heavier weapon in the field

and what, pray tell, would that heavier weapon be? Surely not the FN C1 (basically same weight as C7 with sight), or C2 (MUCH lighter than C9)? I admit I've never seen a C5, does it weigh more than a C6?

Interesting....The C1 and C2 disappeared long before the C5........

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I had lugged a C1 around in the field. All these weapons were withdrawn before I was born(I think). I have thrown around the C1/C2 civvy side and during foreign weapons lectures only.

Also, as I understand the infantry stopped using the footborne C5 somewhat earlier than the Armd, who continued to use it on vehicles for quite some time. ?

Back