• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is wrong with our flag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ballz said:
I know this thread was started in 2002 and the current discussion has moved away from this, but

Why didn't the person challenge it in court as acting against his freedom of expression?

I'm sure if an immigrant had a foreign country's flag up in their window, and hell all the power to them, and a landlord told them to take it down, that's where the case would end up.

That is because the person was living in military accommodations and they strictly follow the flag protocol and etiquette, as the military is representing and fighting for the flag and country.

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/etiqtt/index-eng.cfm

So going to court over it with the military would be quite silly. 

Talking about the original article, thanks for posting a link that was already posted in this thread though. ::)

mellian said:
I understand protocol and what it means to those in the military or those outside of it like the government. The part that amuses me is people believing those not following protocol automatically mean they intentionally disrespect it, when there is different ways in showing one's pride in their flag and country. Yes, there is rules to be followed, but does not mean one is anti-flag or anti-Canada if they break them, or they do not follow protocol.
I'm glad I amuse you. 

Now, for serving member's we (at least I) do believe that if protocol for the flag is not followed, it is disrespectful; automatically at that.  I suppose that we all have our prejudices.  I wouldn't have to explain to a fellow-serving member how I would come to that automatic belief. 

Steel Badger said:
  Yet another example of Mellian's disconnect with the cultural values of the CF. It will be one hell of a culture shock for her if she gets as far as  CFLRS.

I wasn't aware ad hominem was now an accepted use of logic in an argument against an idea.

Stukov said:
I wasn't aware ad hominem was now an accepted use of logic in an argument against an idea.

Interesting comment Stukov, but I am not suggesting that I dislike Mellian and therefore any claim made by her is false; I am suggesting there is little congruency between the cultural values of the CF and her perception of same.

Cheers

SB

Steel Badger said:
  Interesting comment Stukov, but I am not suggesting that I dislike Mellian and therefore any claim made by her is false; I am suggesting there is little congruency between the cultural values of the CF and her perception of same.

Cheers

SB

From what I've gathered so far, in the context of this thread, the only individual who has portrayed an idea that is not the norm (on the protocols of flag handling) on this forum is Mellian. Regardless of her intention, Mellian presented an argument to the rest of those individuals reading and responding to this thread presumably to begin a discussion or debate. Your original comment had absolutely nothing to do with the argument Mellian presented and only created a stigma against Mellian's idea by directly stigmatizing Mellian. By responding publicly in such a manner, you promoted no objective view of the issue in hand. At times, I find the argument from authority to be an incredibly blinding force on matters of protocol.

With respect, Mellian has stigmatized herself in numerous threads.

My comment still stands, as do my observations as a serving member.

Stukov said:
It shouldn't be; however, it is de facto.  Check out question period any time.  "Attack the plan, not the man" was the mantra in staff college, yet here we are.

Anyway, going back on topic: No, there is nothing wrong with our flag.  :cdn:

mellian said:
The part that amuses me is people believing those not following protocol automatically mean they intentionally disrespect it, when there is different ways in showing one's pride in their flag and country. Yes, there is rules to be followed, but does not mean one is anti-flag or anti-Canada if they break them, or they do not follow protocol.

I can certainly accept that many -- probably most -- breeches of flag protocol come from a lack of knowledge rather than any conscious effort to poke the country in the eye.  I suppose there is an expectation, realistic or not, that CF members will generally know better.

N. McKay said:
I can certainly accept that many -- probably most -- breeches of flag protocol come from a lack of knowledge rather than any conscious effort to poke the country in the eye.  I suppose there is an expectation, realistic or not, that CF members will generally know better.

Agreed, a long with government and public funded institutions. Not so much for the average Canadian, adult or not.

Members of the CF spend their careers serving, in a lot of cases fighting for, and in some cases dying for...ideals.  Ideals such as "freedom".  These ideals sometimes take the form of symbols - such as the National Flag.  Respect for and adherence to these ideals and their associated symbols are drilled into us from the very beginning.  Not so for your average adult civlian.  They get up everyday, generally speaking, and go do a job that is not based on ideals, but on some sort of tangible reward, usually in the form of a salary.  That kind of sentitment  - actually, the lack of any devition to an ideal and the consequential lack of overt respect for the flag - simply annoys most of us in the CF, but it is something we can appreciate - that freedom - even if we find it distasteful to whatever degree.

For CF members, "breaches of potocol" are, and should be taken very seriously.  Especially, as is the case here, when it concerns our national flag.  It is arguably  the most important, tangible symbol of our efforts and our sacrifices.  We drape the coffins of our dead with it.  There is no "lack of knowledge" on our part and there is thus no excuse.  The expectation that a CF member should and would know better IS realistic.  That is why it does more than annoy us - it tends to incense us, or at least really upset us.

Petamocto said:
Particularly as a lower back tattoo  ;)

You mean like this?

5896_272576150594_676770594_8671681.jpg

Now, I know it's not really our "flag" but the maple leaf is there.    ;)

Quick, some body get a tan!!! :eek:

Mellian, are you sure about all those poor oppressed Americans?

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm
Are there penalties for violating the Flag Code?

No. The Flag Code serves as a guide to be followed on a purely voluntary basis to insure proper respect for the flag. The Supreme Court has ruled that politically motivated violations of the Flag Code are protected by the First Amendment.

The Flag Code has no provision for enforcement. No fines, no penalties. There is nothing law enforcement can do when the Flag Code is broken.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hj111-8

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States authorizing the Congress and the States to prohibit the act of desecration of the flag of the United States and to set criminal penalties for that act.

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Somebody or some body?  I'm not dead.......yet.  ;)

Nah, I don't tan anyway.  Burn only.  Kind of like my cooking.  :-\

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Mellian, are you sure about all those poor oppressed Americans?

I stand corrected. No, was not hundred percent sure, but no one from the states corrected me. I always got the impression way more frown upon there than here.

Personal attacks, deserved, ad hominem or otherwise are NOT ok. The posts in question have been deleted and the topic is now locked.

*Milnet.ca Staff*

As a note, there are certain members who seem to have all the threads they participate in getting locked. Anyone heard the expression "the common denominator in all your failed relationships is you."? Everyone needs some time in their corners to re-evaluate how they are coming across.

MARS said:
Ideals such as "freedom".  These ideals sometimes take the form of symbols - such as the National Flag.

If our flag symbolizes "freedom", does not "freedom" include using our flag as one wishes - beyond the blatantly disrespectful? Or does it only symbolize "freedoms" that some people agree with?

And where does one draw the line? Each of us, probably, parallel to, and at varying distances from, others' lines.

Would the "lower back tattoo" previously mentioned be a sign of disrespect, or of patriotism? I would take it as an expression of the latter, but, if the former, why? I've seen soldiers with flags incorporated into their tattoos. Is that disrespectful? Or is it okay on some body parts and not others, ie arms okay, lower back not so much? I have no objection to the lower back, but would find inking it over crotch or butt, so that certain not-for-prime-time-viewing anatomical features figure prominently and centrally, definitely so.

Burning it, ripping it, stomping it into mud, and urinating on it most assuredly shows great disrespect against us as a country and a people, because our flag symbolizes us.

Using a flag as curtains strikes me as exceedingly tacky, but I don't feel that way about displaying it in a window. What's the difference? I haven't quite decided myself.

We had a flag in KAF with multiple signatures of supportive members of some group (I cannot remember which) all over it. Techically, that is wrong, but nobody faulted those people - we took it as it was meant: a symbol of patriotism and support.

Is it an actual flag itself, being used for something other that being tied to a pole, that is objectionable, or is it anything that looks like a flag? If the latter, then some of you need to be talking to all of those who make, sell, and use folding lawn chairs in red-and-white with a maple leaf on them, beach towels, T-shirts, mugs, and a bazillion other items (yes, I know, invariably made in China) that proud Canadians use daily to express their patriotism. If it is wrong to hang a flag in a window (whether for display or function), then surely it must be wrong to sit in it, lie upon it, or drink tea out of it, nein? Can a flag-like item, such as a painting of one, be mounted on a wall? Why/why not? How about a flag in a frame?

Perhaps it's just wrong for Mellian to talk about it.

But that flag symbolizes her freedom as much as it symbolizes every other Canadian's.

On the subject of Mellian, some people seem to set themselves up here from the start as a convenient target of opportunity. Reasons vary. Sometimes it stems from a blatantly offensive or stupid first post (or posts; learning is slow for certain people), and sometimes it stems from an innocent misunderstanding. Perhaps the poster did not explain his/her idea perfectly, or perhaps the reader did not read it properly. Regardless, a pack mentality seems to form and responses to that person's postings begin to come more from presumption, habit, and instinct than any higher mental function.

Remember, this is one of the most imperfect forms of communication ever. Should soemthing offend you, read it carefully and make sure whether or not it was intended to offend. Chances are, it was not. Seek clarification politely if unsure. Give the poster the benefit of the doubt.

Mellian's posts seem to inspire a greater negative response in some people. She frequently discusses things which are completely foreign to some people, and this seems to generate discomfort in them. Her logic has sometimes been called into question, and that is valid. I do not recall, however, any disrespectful postings on her part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back