• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is "Peacekeeping?"

3rd Horseman

Inactive
Reaction score
CdnArtyWife said:
C'mon people...Peacekeeping is dead. Peacemaking is the deal now.

It is not dead just being applied correctly in A Stan which is a UN mission. It is the above perception of Peace Ops that aids the media in distorting what true peacekeeping is all about. Peacekeeping does not mean not shooting at an enemy, it just means we are fighting a war on a world mandate for a greater good.

edit split from other thread non relevant edited out.

3rd Horseman

At the risk of entering a definitional debate, I think that your arcs for "peacekeeping" are a bit broad.  Would you consider the Allies part of WWII "peacekeeping?" 

I feel that if you define something loosely enough it can begin to lose meaning.  I see "peacekeeping" as interposing neutral forces between two former belligerents who have both agreed to end the fighting before the peacekeeping troops arrive.  Anything else is war.  If one side has not agreed to the deal then the international forces are imposing their will and that is war.

For me, the distinction is important because it helps determines the kinds of forces, tasks and means that you apply. 

Cheers

Red_Five said:
I feel that if you define something loosely enough it can begin to lose meaning.  I see "peacekeeping" as interposing neutral forces between two former belligerents who have both agreed to end the fighting before the peacekeeping troops arrive.  Anything else is war.  If one side has not agreed to the deal then the international forces are imposing their will and that is war.

Then I guess Somalia, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosavo, East Timore, were wars.

edit new non relevant split from other thread.

3rd Horseman said:
Then I guess Somalia, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosavo, East Timore, were wars.
Is everything black & white to you?

peace‧keep‧ing  /ˈpisˌkipɪŋ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pees-kee-ping] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. the maintenance of international peace and security by the deployment of military forces in a particular area: the United Nations' efforts toward peacekeeping. 
2. an instance of this. 
–adjective 3. for or pertaining to peacekeeping: peacekeeping forces. 

Therefore, to keep the peace, it must already be present in some form, infering that both parties are "at peace," no matter how tenuous it may be.

One could easily argue that all of those instances you bring forth had either one or both (in some case multiple) sides not willing to live in a peaceful manner.  Therefore those military personnel who served in such situations were sent in to make peace, with the goal of then keeping the peace.

I would consider these as grey -- neither peacekeeping nor all out war.

It is not dead just being applied correctly in A Stan which is a UN mission.

BTW, did I miss something here?

Peacekeeping, in the "Pearsonian" sense, is an activity generally involved in interposing forces in a primarily observatory role between former belligerents.  The model that usually comes to mind is Cyprus, although Pearson won his Nobel Peace Prize, as I recall, primarily on the basis of the UN mission involving the Sinai in about 1956.  This definition, unfortunately, has taken on a life of its own (see below).

A more useful definition, I think, is that "peacekeeping" is one task, in the spectrum of all tasks, that can be assigned to military forces.  Because of their organizational, operational and logistical skills and flexibility, military forces can be assigned a whole range of tasks, from assisting with natural disasters, to delivering humanitarian aid, to search and rescue, to peacekeeping, to peace-enforcement (a somewhat more proactive task than peacekeeping, that involves more than just observation and reporting), to war-fighting (of various types), etc.  There are few, if any, organizations around that can be expected to fulfill such a disparate set of tasks.

So soldiers can be peacekeepers, warriors, firemen, policemen, rescuers, jail guards, traffic cops, child-care workers...the list goes on and on.  However, thanks to Mr. Pearson and a couple of generations of media inculcation (which itself was just mirroring back the prevailing culture of the 1960s and after), the Canadian public has had his misplaced notion (which seems to be fading, thankfully) that we don't have soldiers at all...we have this fuzzy thing called "peacekeepers".

MCG,  to me most of the time it is black and white as being a soldier it is simpler that way, to get into the grey would make life too difficult...guess that is my weakness.

Pearson won the prize for Suez and if I am correct that was to be a fighting force to meet two fighting nations in the middle with force if required. They were not at peace.

I like the wording of Peace Support Ops which has Peacekeeping, Peace Making and Nation building as its subcomponents. I think Pearson would be very proud of what we and other nations are doing in A Stan today.

Hello, I'm doing a video production Project/ contest    TITLED " What does peacekeeping mean to you?" our group really doesn't know much about peacekeeping and we're looking for some help. Some of the questions/topics, we're supposed to mention are...

- Canada's role in  peace keeping and conflict resolution.
- what does peacekeeping mean to you as a Canadian
- what contribution can Canadians make to support UN peacekeeping?

PURPOSE:
To gain an understanding  of the importance of the united nations peacekeeping, Canada's contribution and how it relates to our Canadian indentity.

For those that have served in a peacekeeping operation from Congo to Cyprus to Cambodia and, more recently, east Timor, and Sudan. please tell me your experience and how it effected you and how it has effected Canada.

Also if you want to just say what you want and what you think about the UN, My group is just trying to get a understanding of the UN and trying to get some answers.

Thank you. :salute: :cdn:

Could you clarify who "your group" is?

DELTA108 said:
My group is just trying to get a understanding of the UN and trying to get some answers.

Thank you. :salute: :cdn:

There's the rub. Nobody, including the people that work there, understands the UN.....................and they've never been very good with straight answers to well defined questions. It only puts them on the spot and makes them feel uncomfortable.

DELTA108:

Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937.0.html

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937/post-259412.html#msg259412

Recruiting FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html

Infantry FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21131.0.html

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

Google search of Army.ca - http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=+site%3Aarmy.ca+%22search+term%22&btnG=Search&meta= (follow the link then replace "search term" with what you are looking for)

Army.ca wiki pages - http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

To summarize. Welcome to Army.ca, start reading.

The Canadian Peacekeeping Myth (Merged Topics) - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/29913.5

Dallaire: Peacekeeping has failed  - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/51104/post-453826

Has the UN proven itself to be impotent? Who Cares? Road Ahead? - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23879.0.html

How is the Canadian Army in terms of Combat operations?  - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18507.0.html

"Shake hands With the Devil" - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/27798.0.html

3rd Horseman said:

Pearson won the prize for Suez and if I am correct that was to be a fighting force to meet two fighting nations in the middle with force if required. They were not at peace.

You'll be pleased to know that you are not correct.

Pearson proposed a tripwire of sorts which would be introduced only after a ceasefire and separation of forces was in place.  It's primary strength was to be its weakness  The change to established (in 1948) UN Peacekeeping was that the force would be large enough to actually occupy areas rather than just deploy unarmed observer teams.

The UNEF was to be lightly armed – to give it a bit, and only a bit, of self defence capability.  It was, quite specifically, not designed, organized, equipped or mandated to fight, except in extremis, in local self defence.

Pearson and Urquhart posited that there is such a thing as international public opinion and that it would be outraged if either Egypt or Israel violated the cease fire.  It worked for a decade, until Nasser thought he might unite the Arabs and so on and so forth.

The UNEF’s power of public opinion was backed up by an explicit guarantee from President Eisenhower – which was where the real power lay.

Gentlemen,

At the risk of being attacked by persons more articulate than I am, I am going to jump in here simply because the word "peackeeping" in all its variations (noun, verb, adjective etc) drives me insane.

There is no such thing as a "peacekeeper", and selling this idea of of kinder, gentler military force is the primary reason that we in the CF are in the position that we are in in terms of rust-out.

If you are going to use your military for "peacekeeping", then you do not have to equip it, train it, or maintain it at high states of readiness for medium-to-high intensity operations. If the only combat that you face is an accidental byproduct of the inherent friction of separating two warring factions (who by definition have already agreed to a tactical pause to rearm in order for you to enter the theater), you certainly can allow your overall forces to decrease. Thus, you no longer have to buy modern heavy MBTs, you no longer need to have massed indirect fire capabilities, and you can now "re-role" everyone but the front gate commissionaire in order to put them on the mission. In my opinion, this has led to the decline of the CF as a credible warfighting entity (thankfully this is changing back, but at a high price).

This is all bad enough, but the ridiculousness of our position on the moral plane is even greater. We (Canada) have made the fact that we can no longer prosecute an independent war a virtue and put ourselves on a higher plane than those nations who actually can impose their will upon other countries (last time I checked, the ultimate end-product of any military operation). This is much like being the one kid at the party who does not have a car, has to either walk everywhere or borrow rides, and then turns around and says that he is better than everyone else because he is staying fit and caring for the environment. I, for one, would feel a whole lot better about this whole idea that we are a "peacekeeping" nation if we were spouting that rhetoric while backed up with a military force that could beat all comers.

Finally, as far as "peacekeeping" being a Canadian value, go ask either the Boers, the Germans (WW 1 and 2), the Japanese (WW2), the North Koreans etc exactly how many times we used to hold up our hands and say "Stop or I'll say "Stop" again!" Last time I checked we used to stomp the crap out of them on a per capita basis.

Rant done. Sorry about that . I will await the inevitable roasting.

From the Toronto Star... although there are portions of the article I disagree with, I believe the writer captures an essence or Mr Pearson, and thus a Foreign Affairs legacy for Canada, to wit, true peacekeeping in Canada's enlightened self interest and without apologies... without all the white pickup and blue beret crap....

From the Toronto Star, shared under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act, RSC

My emphasis added. My ellipses interposed as abridgement.. full article on link

Central myth of Canadian diplomacy

On a small non-descript pillar in the lobby of Foreign Affairs Canada hangs Lester B. Pearson's Nobel Peace Prize — a reminder of Canada's high-water mark on the international stage.

Pearson received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1957 for his and Canada's suggestion and deployment of a peacekeeping force that would separate opposing forces in the Suez while a peace plan was implemented. Tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary of the UN General Assembly vote to send that police force into Egypt. It was the birth of peacekeeping. For many Canadians, even 50 years later, the crisis remains the defining moment of Canadian foreign policy, symbolizing Canada's international role as a pacifist intervener that puts global interests before national self-interest.

But where has this ideal led us?

What happened? Did Pearson's success steer Canada in the wrong direction? Are the Suez Crisis and Peace Prize the bane of our foreign policy?

Sadly, the answer is yes. The blame lies not with Pearson but with us and our collective misunderstanding of the man, his ideas and his legacy. Much of the popular imagery surrounding him is myth, a national exercise in selective memory.

If we are serious about building an effective foreign policy for the 21st century, we must confront the central myth of Canadian diplomacy. Contrary to everything you learned, Pearson was neither a Boy Scout nor a dove. He was so much more: a creative problem solver who respected great-power politics and was unafraid to champion Canada's national interests.

The 50th anniversary of the Suez Crisis and the invention of peacekeeping is the perfect starting point for such a critical reassessment. Contrary to the mythology, Pearson did not advocate peacekeeping out of a humanitarian desire to prevent some far-off war. Rather, he recognized that unlike other conflicts of the time, the Suez Crisis threatened to draw the United States and Soviet Union into direct confrontation. Consequently, it posed a real and direct threat to Canada.

In 1956, intercontinental ballistic missiles were not a significant part of the world's nuclear arsenal. Consequently, any war between the superpowers would have been fought in the skies over Canada as American and Soviet strategic bombers raced overhead to deliver their nuclear payloads. Pearson's peacekeeping was not designed to stop a Middle East war but to prevent nuclear bombs from falling out of the sky over Toronto. Self-interested problem solving, not altruism or idealism, launched the peacekeeping project.

Nor was Pearson a dove. Yes, he recognized the essential role played by economic and social resources in improving society and proposed 0.7 per cent as the benchmark for foreign aid. However, he was equally aware of the critical role played by military power in international relations.

If our foreign policy is to experience another golden age, it must regain its relevance to Canadians. Our leaders need to understand Canada's interests, articulate them clearly and find a means to advance them in a manner consistent with our internationalist values. Pearson understood this. It also explains why his legacy has been so difficult to grasp. He defies labelling. He was neither a hawk nor a dove, neither pro- nor anti-American. He simply solved Canadian problems in a way that made the world better for everyone.

Apollovet...no roasting from me, and probably very little from anyone on this site.  I think you're absolutely right...so, +1 to your post.

As I've said before, "peacekeeping" is just one of many tasks that a military force can conduct, along with "warfighting", "aid to civil authorities", etc.  If you organize, train and equip your forces for the most intense and demanding of these--fighting a high intensity war--then they'll be prepared, with some additional, mission-specific training, to carry out any of them

muskrat89 said:
Could you clarify who "your group" is?

Its grade 11/12 video production class *high school..*...
I'm actually currently in the process of joining the the CF (infantry) *The Royal Westminster Regiment....
:salute: :cdn:

Back