• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What ever happened to....

Lil_T

Inactive
Reaction score
The Canada Fitness Test?  I  do remember doing it through elementary school, and in cadets so it must have been scrapped sometime in the 90's.  It was a special kind of awful, but I always managed to badge in it at least.

Why did they stop offering it in schools?  Please oh please don't say it's because some of the kids couldn't achieve an award.  They should bring it back.

Program shut down in '92 (after a bit of Google-fu). Write your MP if you'd like to see it back.  And after discovering that it's gone, I'm going to do just that (my MP, plus the minister of health, plus the minister of amateur sport).

I think I will.  Makes me sad that kids these days really have nothing to strive for.  At least until they get to the age where it's "acceptable" for them to be competitive.  Unfortunately by then it's too late and they've already been coddled into a false sense of fairness, so that when they do compete (and fail) many give up and don't want to try again.

Do you mean ParticipACTION?

According to the website, it was originally established in 1971 and operated for nearly 30 years.  It was revitalized in 2007 but I haven't seen or heard much about it, except on Corner Gas.  ;D

PMedMoe said:
Do you mean ParticipACTION?

According to the website, it was originally established in 1971 and operated for nearly 30 years.  It was revitalized in 2007 but I haven't seen or heard much about it, except on Corner Gas.   ;D

mm not exactly.  The Canada Fitness Test was a standardized fitness test run in schools in the 70s and 80s.  There were 4 badge levels Bronze, Silver, Gold, and the award of Excellence. (Red)  It consisted of a shuttle run, endurance run, push ups, situps, standing long jump, and the flexed arm hang... good times really.

me too - I always wanted the award of excellence though - that red badge would have looked snazzy on my backpack.

I have a few of the Red ones in a Tin Box somewhere, I heard that it was stopped and then started again but I didn't hear that it stopped again.  But in today's climate I am not surprised. Someone probably complained that those with disability's were unable to compete.  Or that it was not fair to have differant levels.  We live in a world where everyone must get a prize so that they too can feel "Special"

ParticipACTION badges:

canada_fitness_award_badges.jpg

Look familiar?

I does, and I was just about to add " Participaction" was the name, The other shape was a flat topped shield if I recall correctly same logo and such.  It has been a while since I looked at that Tin Box, must re-bond with my " Treasure's"

The shield shaped ones were the Award of Excellence - higher than gold in the hierarchy.

yes and no.  The ones we used to get didn't have any black on them.  But I guess that's just due to design change.  The black ones were older I think.

1380055471_fa20432b8b.jpg

Lil_T said:
yes and no.  The ones we used to get didn't have any black on them.  But I guess that's just due to design change.  The black ones were older I think.

1380055471_fa20432b8b.jpg

Those are the ones I remember.

I'll take being younger than someone.  ;D  I'm the oldest in my group of friends.

Back