• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What did you want to become ?

TV/Film/Acting/Radio/Performing Arts....

Once I got older I realized that it's stupid competitive and that most of the jobs/pay suck....

14 years of Army reserve later, and I'm getting close to (Hopefully) jumping into the world of Law Enforcement.

I didn't really have a specific aspiration. I always loved medieval times and Knights as I kid so I always wanted to be a Knight. But as far as an actual profession, that all depended on what I was watching/doing at the time. I wanted to be a lawyer at one point, never a doctor. A soldier was always there but more so during the remembrance day period (back in the day when TLC wasn't reality show TV) watching documentaries.

When I was little people would always ask me what do you want to be when you grow up, I thought a police man, fire fighter, something in the Miltary, .....now ask me what do I want to be when I grow up??  I wanna  be retired!

Loachman said:
Francophones destroyed your ability to punctuate properly and capitalize where appropriate?
not what I meant , just doesn't have any opportunity to practice

krimynal said:
not what I meant , just doesn't have any opportunity to practice

Well, that gentle hint wasn't terribly successful, was it?

I wanted to be a science fiction writer after a period of being a beatnik poet.

I managed to spend a few years as a beatnik poet, although I focused more on the beatnik part than the poet part.

As we are currently in the middle of the PER season, I now seem to write a lot of fiction, and there is a science to it......

When I retire, I will run a compund that can survive the coming apocalypse: cleared fields of fire, run up distances for my German Shepherds, and stockpiles of the essentials (weapons, smokes, and Lagavulin).  I will not need actual survival supplies - rather I keep a list of hippies who have all of that and will simply take it from them once I establish my fiefdom.

I started out wanting to be a Naval Architect, and did things to move in that direction. Spent off days from school with the old man when he was teaching at Fleet School, met with several MarEng O's for guidance, read reams and reams of tech books and pubs from the trades.

When I hit High School, made a bit of a lane change and joined the PRes as a Vehicle Tech. Went to university as a Civil / Structural Engineer (Structural being a prerequisite for a Masters in Naval Architecture). Running through the woods in Aldershot and Gagetown took any desire to sail the oceans right out of me. ;)

Graduated, and looked for employment in a down market, finally went to work in the precast concrete industry.

Now I live in the US, and manage production and construction operations for a small consulting engineering company that holds patents on a large concrete retaining wall system.

PPCLI Guy said:
I wanted to be a science fiction writer after a period of being a beatnik poet.

I managed to spend a few years as a beatnik poet, although I focused more on the beatnik part than the poet part.

As we are currently in the middle of the PER season, I now seem to write a lot of fiction, and there is a science to it......

When I retire, I will run a compund that can survive the coming apocalypse: cleared fields of fire, run up distances for my German Shepherds, and stockpiles of the essentials (weapons, smokes, and Lagavulin).  I will not need actual survival supplies - rather I keep a list of hippies who have all of that and will simply take it from them once I establish my fiefdom.

seems like an awesome plan , you might consider getting some Dobermans and Border collie , Dobs to help protect and the border to run the whole yard over and over and over again

*blows off dust from all the lurking*

Architech. I loved building houses, building, etc with Lego so much that it just manifested in my mind. Then high school came around and I discovered how much I disliked autocad.

PPCLI Guy said:
I will not need actual survival supplies - rather I keep a list of hippies who have all of that and will simply take it from them once I establish my fiefdom.
Directly in line with my own plans.  Why stock up on food and water when you can take what others have with your massive supplies of ammo and weapons?

Jim Seggie used to be on board with me and linking up, but I think his plans are to move Westward.

Fighter pilot. I've always had my eye set on becoming one.  But then I found photography. I'm still young (really young 17) I guess I could still do it.

...an SNCO at a formation HQ....waaaiiiittt a minute....

Had lots of dreams, did lots in life, my plan in my early 30's was to become a commercial  Blaster, took a temporary job in the Coast Guard and still working for the feds, now retirement is on the horizon and working on becoming a dirty old man and grouchy old fart, with a degree in "Old dinosaur"  :nod:

I wanted a secure job. Some of the kids said they wanted to be doctors or lawyers, but I remember a teacher telling us that the only secure jobs were in the civil service.

So, after my 18th birthday, I took the subway down to City Hall and put my application in.

The teacher was right. In all the years that followed, our department was never laid off, or on strike.

Back