• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What are you watching now?

"Brooklyn's Finest" ( 2009 )

Saw it for the first time the other day on Netflix.

I liked the uniformed NYPD officer named Eddie. A very unremarkable 22 year career. His "service record is not commendable or extraordinary." But, it is satisfactory.

They assign Eddie a rookie partner. Fresh out of the Marines, and very gung-ho.

Eddie decides to take a little drive into a neighbouring precinct for some personal shopping. Outside the area where they are supposed to be. ( Probably has become less common since they installed GPS in emergency vehicles.  :) )

So, as Eddie does not wish his shopping to be disturbed ( and because they should not be out of their area ), he instructs the new guy, "Wait in the car. Don't touch or do anything."

Of course, the rookie does exactly the opposite. It doesn't go well. After that, they wouldn't even eat lunch together. It was their first and last shift as partners.

I didn't particularly enjoy the rest of the movie. But, I thought that little scene was interesting.

" 'Chernobyl' Is the Best Show No One Should Watch"

There are a few key events from the 80s I can remember vividly while being a reasonably sheltered kid growing up in a small town near the QC border. (It was certainly a very different period than what my own child is growing up in now.)

1. I remember the air-raid siren tests, and the one standing right at the edge of our school yard and the street.

2. I remember watching the Challenger explode while being home from school that day.

3. And I remember hearing about this, although I didn't really understand why the event was on the news all the time and why it was such a big deal when Russia was so far away. (I was only 8.)

I've watched a few documentaries about Chernobyl over the years and have read a lot, so I was eager to check this out. I'll let the article do the talking. ('Contains spoilers, so if you don't want to know, don't read it.) But I highly recommend it.

https://decider.com/2019/05/31/chernobyl-best-show-you-shouldnt-watch/

There’s nothing on television quite like Chernobyl. Whereas most dramatizations of true crimes and real life disasters play with the severity of their horrific realities before pulling back at the last minute, Chernobyl never does. From start to finish it’s an emotionally devastating and beautifully constructed take on a terrible tragedy — making it the best show on television I can’t recommend anyone should watch. Spoilers ahead for Chernobyl Episodes 1-4.

The problem, if you can call it that, is that Chernobyl is simply too good at its job. From Valery Legasov’s (Jared Harris) first moments on screen, creator Craig Mazin’s five-part miniseries makes it clear that it has one goal in mind. It wants to tell the truth about this devastating disaster as possible as best it can. And that truth is inherently grim. On April 26, 1986 one of Chernobyl’s nuclear reactors exploded in a shocking yet preventable catastrophe. An estimated 31 people died directly from this accident’s radiation, but countless other innocent lives have been lost due to radiation poisoning and the carelessness of one government.

There’s no way around it, that’s a bleak story to tell. And to its enduring credit Chernobyl never tries to lighten the mood surrounding its depressing subject matter. Over the HBO series’ past four episodes, so many heart-breaking and intimate stories have been brought to screen. Audiences have watched as a wife care for her poisoned husband as he slowly faded from life, factory workers volunteer to help even though they knew that meant certain death, surly miners walking head on into some of the worst of the radiation at the command of their government, and one young civilian murdering innocent, starving pets for the ultimate good of the world. Chernobyl has even shown us the death of a robot. All of these dramatizations are rooted in fact, by the way. In at least a couple of cases the onscreen version HBO delivered is kinder than what happened in real life.

However it’s the series’ very commitment to authenticity that makes it impossible to recommend. Not just as a critic, but as a human, when I recommend a piece of art to someone else, I want it to enrich their lives in some way. I want to bring them joy or comfort or a form of escapism to combat the frustrations of day-to-day life. In short, I want to make them feel better. And no episode of Chernobyl  has ever made me feel better.

Each hourlong masterpiece has felt like an emotional beating as I watch through partially covered eyes. It’s just all so sad: these people who have given their lives to save the world and who have received next to no credit. The families that were irreparably ruined by a manmade mistake. A government that absolutely refuses to help the victims it has created. That same government actively lying both to its people and the world about the severity of Chernobyl, only to save face. All of those good dogs.

If there is a silver lining, and in true Chernobyl form it’s a slim one, it is that we’re all still alive to reflect on Chernobyl as a past tragedy and not an ongoing disaster. That’s it. Us being alive right now is the message of hope at the end of this supremely dark tunnel. The everyday heroes who gave their lives and sacrificed everything to contain this monstrosity now have a chance to be posthumously remembered for their bravery.

So though I can’t recommend watching it, through its pain-staking showcases of bleak sacrifice, it has helped to make me a better, more grateful person. I leave it up to you if you want to take that journey, as well.

The final episode of Chernobyl premieres on HBO 9/8c.

BeyondTheNow said:
" 'Chernobyl' Is the Best Show No One Should Watch"

There are a few key events from the 80s I can remember vividly while being a reasonably sheltered kid growing up in a small town near the QC border.

I think for our local emergency services, Three Mile Island got more attention.

1) It happened first. ( 1979 )

2) It was closer to home.

Our department sent a couple of members down as observers. The lessons learned during the evacuation in Pennsylvania may have helped a few months later during the Mississauga Train Derailment. Prior to Hurricane Katrina, it was the largest peacetime evacuation in North American history.

There’s been a fair amount of movie, documentary and TV watching lately. ‘Thought I’d get this started again.

Watching right now:

-Documentary: Episode 3 of “The Last Dance” on Netflix.

There’s a lot of nostalgia associated with this series for me. I was a big fan of Jordan and the Bulls back in the 80s/early 90s. As the baby sister, I had to be involved in everything my older brother was doing, and he and his friends would practice their b-ball skills in the driveway whenever possible; even dragging out a small trampoline so they could dunk. I’d watch them constantly and join in when they’d let me. They’d hang their tongues out and try to emulate Jordan’s moves. Their bedrooms were plastered in Jordan posters, we all watched the old documentary “Come Fly With Me” probably 100 times. I was exposed to basketball constantly for a large chunk of my childhood, which led to me playing a little in elementary and high-school. (I was never very good though, other than playing 21.)

The footage, histories, background, interviews and backstories are excellent and bring back a lot of memories. It’s great seeing and hearing from many top players during those glory days also.

Watched recently:

“Jo-Jo Rabbit”, Oscar winner for Best Adapted Screenplay (as well as another 33 wins & 151 nominations. IMDB)

Its awards and nominations are well earned. I knew it had done well during awards season, bit thought I’d hate it when it was first suggested to me.

IMDB synopsis: A World War II satire that follows a lonely German boy named Jojo (Roman Griffin Davis) whose world view is turned upside down when he discovers his single mother (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a young Jewish girl (Thomasin McKenzie) in their attic. Aided only by his idiotic imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler (Taika Waititi), Jojo must confront his blind nationalism.

But the movie is touching, laugh-out-loud funny during many moments, and deeply (yet subtly) impactful. It tackles difficult subject matter in a unique and light manner. The costume and set design is terrific. The casting is perfect. It’s now one of my favourites. If you enjoy satire, and are in need of a good chuckle, I highly recommend it.

"Ozarks" on Netflix.

Also season 4 of Bernard Cornwell's "The Last Kingdom" started yesterday on Netflix.

:cheers:

I just finished Season 3 of WestWorld, on Crave.  (First month is free, so just cancel before the first month is up and you don't get charged.)

Wow.  Just wow.  :eek:

I don't watch many shows online at all.  Maybe one a year or so.  I decided to check out WestWorld, and HIGHLY recommend it!

Anthony Hopkins & Ed Harris absolutely kill it.  DO NOT GOOGLE anything about the show before starting it... allow the adventure to happen, and I guarantee you won't be disappointed, regardless of what you're looking for in a show. 

"Shetland" on Netflix. British crime adventure following a detective team set and filmed in the Shetland Islands. Based on the novels by Ann Cleeves. https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=ann+cleeves+shetland&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Shows you that you don't need guns/shoot-outs and car chases to have a good police drama as long as you have a good story and interesting characters (well acted ones)

:cheers:

Back