• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What are the differences between BMQ and BOTC?

Catherine

Inactive
Reaction score
hi all,
Planning to join the full time military and wondering what are the difference between BMQ and BOTC? I know one is for NCM and the other is for Officer, but both are running the same 12 weeks.
Can anyone provide details for both courses? Is BMQ easier?

cat

Here's a start.

BMQ

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/site/soyez_prets/qmb_e.asp

BOTC is actually IAP followed by BOTP

IAP

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/site/soyez_prets/pei_e.asp

BOTP

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/site/soyez_prets/peeo_e.asp

My one sentence answer?  There is no official leadership development on BMQ.  On BOTC, it is a requirement and you are assessed on it.

Now my question...why the question?  Are you trying to decide between NCM or Officer?

;D

Catherine said:
I think i am going to be an officer.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh there is just too much that could be said to this one...a "door wide open" as it were...

:-X

I just finished IAP/BOTP under the new program from CFLRS so if you have any questions regarding it please feel free to PM me.

I am also looking for a thread to vent about the new IAP/BOTP program...anyone know of any such thread on these boards?

Im pretty sure I thought I saw one back around this time last year when it was starting...  maybe not... I have a friend who was on the guinea pig course so I heard a lot about it).

I suppose you could always start your own.. there is generally less info on here about Officer life, which makes sense, since officers are proportionally less in the CF.

Seems to be lots of grumbling about the new IAP/BOTP.  I'm on the August 27th course and would be nice to know what's making people unhappy.

EDITED for grammar.  :)

...as there was last year as well...

...and the year before that probably...

...and the year before that...

;D

Just be careful what you pay heed to...PM me if you don't have a clue what I mean.  8)

tibor23 said:
Seems to be lots of grumbling about the new IAP/BOTP.  I'm on the August 27th course and would be nice to know what's making people unhappy.

EDITED for grammar.  :)

- 5am wakey wakey and PT
- PT
- 45 minutes to shower, change, eat and get ready for inspection
- 14k ruck march
- blisters, shin splints, sun burns (esp. baret burns)
- olive drab (if you are at Venture)
- other candidates (keep those to yourself)
- military tests (believe it or not some people complained about these)
- memos!
- team builders

Its all the usual stuff.

ejames said:
- 5am wakey wakey and PT
- PT
- 14k ruck march
- memos!
- team builders

Its all the usual stuff.

So they are unhappy with...being in the military??

Good career choice then.  ;D

ejames said:
- 5am wakey wakey and PT
- PT
- 14k ruck march
- memos!
- team builders

Its all the usual stuff.

I'm going to assume if you did the crse at Venture you are indeed a reservist and weren't subjected to the full 16 Week crse ie IAP is 6 weeks vice 9 and botc is 4 weeks vice 6 (yes I happen to know a thing or two about venture spent my last 7 years in Esq)

no ofence meant, I was a reservist for a time myself, I was merely trying to figure out how someone who took a shortened version of the course offered 3000 KM from the place the rest of us are going can comment on the course content in St Jean with any accuracy.

Ironically it seems as though every year there is a "new version" of IAP/BOTP. I recall when hubby was going through six years ago, he was on a guinea pig course as well, and subsequently all of his phase training was guinea pig as well.  ::)

Cheers,

CAW

ArtyNewbie said:
no ofence meant, I was a reservist for a time myself, I was merely trying to figure out how someone who took a shortened version of the course offered 3000 KM from the place the rest of us are going can comment on the course content in St Jean with any accuracy.

Because everything comes from CFLRS which is in St Jean. Our instructors have to train in St Jean before coming out to Esq. to run the reservist course and all of the wonderful power point slides (with wonderful English translation) are from St Jean. It was all any of the instructors talked about "..in St Jean they do it like this..."

Not to mention the fact that there were a few people on the course who did go for their training in St Jean and for various reasons completed it here at Venture.

I just completed a stint as enemy force for the courses here in Esq and witnessed the small party taskings, the printing the scenarios of the din minutes before delivering them to the candidates. Making MSE Requests at 1500 on Friday for 0800 Monday. The final parade and standard of drill. I have a friend who is an instructor there (name withheld for obvious reasons) a guy I've played darts with for years who said that when Venture standars disagreed with a MLP or Assesment form they simply changed it to make it work to thier standard. CFLRS Trained does not mean CFLRS Delivered. And as for the "they do it in St Jean" is simply a poor excuse for "I Don't understand the material but can read from a powerpoint slide" or along with "when I was a cadet" or "when I was in the reserves" or "back the first time I was in" A crse developed in one location will not neccessarily be run in the same manner, following the same schedules and timelines. This is true not only of BOTC, but other nationaly mandated, locally delivered crses. yes the daily routine is especially long, it has to be when you cram 16 weeks of trg into 9 or 10, and when you do compress an intensive crse like this something will get dropped.

Back