• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What’s a good percentile for infantry?

Stargell1313

Inactive
Reaction score
I apologize in advanced if this is the wrong thread or the wrong place to post. I’m still learning how to use army.ca.

I just did my CFAT yesterday and was told for NCM I scored 94th percentile overall and around 77th percentile for officer. My individual scores are: 99th percentile for problem solving section, 84th percentile for spatial ability and around 53rd percentile for vocabulary.

Is this a good score for infantry? Also, if in the distant future I decide to become an officer, is this a good enough score to get in or should I retake the test in the future?

Thank you for any information you can provide for me.

Did you do the CFAT or the TAFC? Was it in English or French? What is your mother tongue?

strange, do you read? or was it the way questions were asked?

strange, do you read? or was it the way questions were asked?

53rd percental means they scored a sliver above the median score, it's not a 53% like they got 53 out of 100 correct.

If they at the 99% percentile for problem solving skills, I'll take them for any job. Hell, if they're that good at solving problems and their vocabulary is "average" it's probably for the better, they won't use big words that crayon eaters can't understand.

Is this a good score for infantry? Also, if in the distant future I decide to become an officer, is this a good enough score to get in or should I retake the test in the future?

Sadly, I think your problem solving skills will cause you great angst in the CAF.

A bit of this thread has gotten off track (which provided good laughs); but no one answered this for you.

Percentiles are based on the number of people who've taken the test. So the percentiles today may not be the percentiles in 10 years from now. Luckily when I switched from NCM to Officer my scores from 1999 stood up to the test of time and I was still high enough to be commissioned.

Honestly don't worry about how your scores will hold up down the line, worry about getting the occupation you want TODAY. If you want to go officer down the road and your score isn't good enough the CAF will tell you and give you a chance to take the CFAT again (providing you haven't already used all 3 of your lifetime attempts).

For those curious, yes if you do a re-write while trying to enrol into the CAF, that effects the ability to take the test again down the road in your career.

Back