• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Western Canada Reserve Military Police Questions

lohocard said:
That actually sounds like something I'd be down to do. Even that little info made me even more interested haha. Well, my trades are Supply, infantry and MP and I was qualified for all 3...I was totally fine with either one, honestly. So it'll be hard for me to choose (if they're all actively hiring). My interview and medical are in 3 days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually for Reserve applicants, you pick one trade because it is based on whichever unit provides you with the required Letter of Understanding.

If you Google Western Canadian Reserve Military Police - and take a look at the thread on Blueline.ca and this thread you will get a pretty good idea of what you can expect when you join PRes MP.

Hello, recently the RCMP and MP Branch have agreed to allow Sworn RCMP members to serve as PRes MP. If you are a sworn RCMP member and interested in the MP pls contact me at jason.forbes@forces.gc.ca. Thanks!

I went recently to talk to a recruiter and told me I needed the 2 year diploma regarding  law enforcement.

rrlmushu said:
I went recently to talk to a recruiter and told me I needed the 2 year diploma regarding  law enforcement.

Do you seek part-time or full-time employment?

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

It is my under standing that the requirement has been waived for Primary Reserve Military Police in Western Canada (1 MP Regt). This was done to attract more suitable applicants as Reserve MP are not as focused on the investigative role. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail If you are interested in the Reserve side. Requirements change very quick depending on the operational tempo and specific requirements at that time.

My experience has been that because the requirements listed by MP Branch changes from time to time (due to staffing issues) sometimes the recruiting offices are behind or have not yet been advised of the change. Also MP Platoons are sometimes disconected from their area recruiting office so they do not always have the best path of communication. This happens because we recruit relatively lower numbers than typical reserve units.

I am the recruiting rep for 15 MP Coy Western Canada and I have to stay on top of things to be current - no slight on our area recruiters - this is a nuance specific to the Res MP I believe.

Just to confirm: Reg Force MP needs 2 years post secondary, res MP does not?
I'm a former MP from Sweden (conscription). We were tasked to patrol outside of urban areas (reg MP were city) as counter-sabotage patrols.

Swally said:
Just to confirm: Reg Force MP needs 2 years post secondary, res MP does not?
I'm a former MP from Sweden (conscription). We were tasked to patrol outside of urban areas (reg MP were city) as counter-sabotage patrols.
Reg Force MP requires a recognized 2 year diploma, Res MP has no trade specific educational requirement.

garb811 said:
Reg Force MP requires a recognized 2 year diploma, Res MP has no trade specific educational requirement.

I understand this is months old, and a super uneducated question, but I haven't had the opportunity to ask anyone yet.

Do they ever make any sort of exceptions for equivalencies? I've had an 8 year so far Law Enforcement Career, that I feel I have reached as far as I can go in my current Agency, unless I want to leave the front line. I'm not ready to leave the front line, I've got a decade plus of fire left there, so I'm looking at other options, and the military seems like a good change. I understand starting from scratch training wise, etc etc, I'm fine with that, but the idea of going to achieve a 2 year diploma in police foundations(or whichever program they offer near me) is really ridiculous at this point in my overall career. Especially since I really found over the years that these diplomas don't necessarily make better officers at all.

This is probably a question that has been answered multiple times, so I apologize if I am being redundant.

Fatboy,

There is a big difference between someone who asks the same questions that have already been asked because they are too lazy to use a Search function, or simply call Recruiting...and yourself, someone who is already in emergency services & looking to do something similar, and coming in with a lot of experience.  And I agree with you - a police foundations diploma doesn't always equal a better officer at all. 

Don't apologize for the question, it's a good solid question. 

I unfortunately think I know the answer already, but that's alright.

Oh yeah, let me clarify that when I said "officer" I forgot I was on a forum where officer carries a little different meaning! 

fatboy said:
I understand this is months old, and a super uneducated question, but I haven't had the opportunity to ask anyone yet.

Do they ever make any sort of exceptions for equivalencies? I've had an 8 year so far Law Enforcement Career, that I feel I have reached as far as I can go in my current Agency, unless I want to leave the front line. I'm not ready to leave the front line, I've got a decade plus of fire left there, so I'm looking at other options, and the military seems like a good change. I understand starting from scratch training wise, etc etc, I'm fine with that, but the idea of going to achieve a 2 year diploma in police foundations(or whichever program they offer near me) is really ridiculous at this point in my overall career. Especially since I really found over the years that these diplomas don't necessarily make better officers at all.

This is probably a question that has been answered multiple times, so I apologize if I am being redundant.

Hello,

"Law Enforcement" is a rather broad range of jobs. For example Correction Officers are included in the "Law Enforcement" umbrella, so in that case no equivalencies are made.
For the Reserve Force, they will look at someone if they have a minimum of one year of full-time work experience as a sworn Canadian Police Constable within the past 10 years.

Hi there,

The Reserve Military Police Platoons in Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg are looking for applicants. Please PM or e-mail at Jason.forbes@forces.gc.ca if you are interested.

Thanks

Jason

Back