• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Western Alienation - Split from General Election 2019

A couple points are coming to mind.

While the Americans would love our resources, I'm not sure they want to expand to include parts of Canada.  I also don't think the majority of people in those provinces would want to become American.

My other point is that Scheer is just plain negative and filled with hate when he talks.  I'm listening to Jason Kenney speak right now and Lisa Raitt earlier and they both sound like leaders when they talk.  Even Scheers concession speech was negative.  If the CPC ever want to have a chance they need to replace him fast.

AbdullahD said:
This is why I will fight seperation tooth and nail until the bitter end.

Not that I hate America, in fact I am very pro-USA. But because we as a nation, have our own identity that deserves to be preserved and protected.

I am extremely biased, maybe even ignorantly so against anyone trying to fracture our great nation.

One leaves, we may all end up falling apart. It is a short sighted game plan.

Abdullah

Agreed entirely.

All the "separation" talk is is just short sighted nonsense fueled by an immediate dislike of a problem.  That's it. 

As MarioMike said somewhere above, he's travelled the country and enjoyed all of it.  And I have to agree with him.  I love that I can go to the quiet cities of Comox & such out west, and see Canadian flags & meet people who are proudly Canadian.  I also love that I can go as far as the opposite coast allows, and see the same thing.

We truly do live in a wonderful country, where as PPCLIGuy stated, is boring and predictable.  And that's part of what makes it great, and truly is part of our identity whether we like it or not.  There are so many countries out there that would LOVE to have the same ridiculously petty problems we have.  (On that note, I would love to see leaders in future elections start to be asked about something different than the same old things, again & again.)

I've lived in Alberta most of my life, and I'm biased towards the "west is best" attitude simply because this is where I'm from.  I'm not, however, so passionately disliking of Ottawa that I think Alberta separating is even remotely a good idea.  Not just for Alberta and whatever provinces join, but for the country as a whole.  (It's that kind of dumb nonsense that almost tore the country apart when Quebec tried it.  A nation within a nation?  Ugh...)

And I don't think Alberta would actually do very well on it's own.  Oil & gas isn't going to make a huge comeback anytime soon, not in the way that fuelled our economy before anyway.  And while we aren't short of morons with giant pickup trucks driving around with their country music & going to Wal-Mart in their sweatpants, I'm not sure our labour force is all that impressive outside of friendly, hard working immigrants that tend to be the bread & butter of our everyday workforce. 

Until Alberta finds a way to adapt the oil industry to help it become competitive & robust again, and diversify our economy outside of 2 main industries, even an intellectual discussion on the merits/cons of separating isn't really possible.  And that's ignoring the FACT that most people here are proudly Canadian, even if we - like the rest of the country - aren't very impressed with our current leader.    :salute: :cdn:

2 quick after thoughts...

1.  It's easy to focus on the petty things, while ignoring all of the wonderful things this country represents not just for us lucky enough to live here, but for those in other parts of the world too.  Yes, we have a turd as a leader right now - but so do many other countries. 

2.  I'm going to attach a link to a video by Jocko Willink, former SEAL.  While this video is about America, many of the same things can be said for Canada also.  Helps put things in perspective, I find. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2wcnVlDjw

CBH99 said:
Agreed entirely.

All the "separation" talk is is just short sighted nonsense fueled by an immediate dislike of a problem.  That's it. 

As MarioMike said somewhere above, he's travelled the country and enjoyed all of it.  And I have to agree with him.  I love that I can go to the quiet cities of Comox & such out west, and see Canadian flags & meet people who are proudly Canadian.  I also love that I can go as far as the opposite coast allows, and see the same thing.

We truly do live in a wonderful country, where as PPCLIGuy stated, is boring and predictable.  And that's part of what makes it great, and truly is part of our identity whether we like it or not.  There are so many countries out there that would LOVE to have the same ridiculously petty problems we have.  (On that note, I would love to see leaders in future elections start to be asked about something different than the same old things, again & again.)

I've lived in Alberta most of my life, and I'm biased towards the "west is best" attitude simply because this is where I'm from.  I'm not, however, so passionately disliking of Ottawa that I think Alberta separating is even remotely a good idea.  Not just for Alberta and whatever provinces join, but for the country as a whole.  (It's that kind of dumb nonsense that almost tore the country apart when Quebec tried it.  A nation within a nation?  Ugh...)

And I don't think Alberta would actually do very well on it's own.  Oil & gas isn't going to make a huge comeback anytime soon, not in the way that fuelled our economy before anyway.  And while we aren't short of morons with giant pickup trucks driving around with their country music & going to Wal-Mart in their sweatpants, I'm not sure our labour force is all that impressive outside of friendly, hard working immigrants that tend to be the bread & butter of our everyday workforce. 

Until Alberta finds a way to adapt the oil industry to help it become competitive & robust again, and diversify our economy outside of 2 main industries, even an intellectual discussion on the merits/cons of separating isn't really possible.  And that's ignoring the FACT that most people here are proudly Canadian, even if we - like the rest of the country - aren't very impressed with our current leader.    :salute: :cdn:

2 quick after thoughts...

1.  It's easy to focus on the petty things, while ignoring all of the wonderful things this country represents not just for us lucky enough to live here, but for those in other parts of the world too.  Yes, we have a turd as a leader right now - but so do many other countries. 

2.  I'm going to attach a link to a video by Jocko Willink, former SEAL.  While this video is about America, many of the same things can be said for Canada also.  Helps put things in perspective, I find. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2wcnVlDjw

The country was eventually going to break up one day nows the time for us,the rest of this country won’t ever respect the West especially Alberta and when we really need them the most right now they made it clear last night what we mean to them.
Our main problem with selling our oil is the governments blockade of any future pipelines from being built it’s driving away any new investments and the only thing to do now is to get organized and vote for independence parties we don’t need to get involved anymore into the BS climate change fanaticism cult.
If we want to have a prosperous future we have to get Toronto and Quebec out of our affairs completely

VinceW said:
If we want to have a prosperous future we have to get Toronto and Quebec out of our affairs completely

Facta, non verba

VinceW said:
We’re soon see where this takes us.

Good luck with that, Vince.

Metro looked into getting out of Ontario. For the GTA to secede from Ontario to create a new province would require an amendment to the Constitution of Canada. The constitutional amendment would require resolutions from the House of Commons of Canada and the Senate of Canada, and resolutions from the legislative bodies of 7 of the provinces representing at least 50% of the population.

If it's that tough getting out of a province, I imagine it will be harder getting out of the country.

Western alienation hasn't the passion of Quebec separatism.  There will be the usual whining, but nothing of substance.

But, if hardball is played, AB and SK just need access to export markets and they already have a border with the US.  More pipeline capacity would help.

However, BC needs AB oil.  A week into an embargo, as the tanks of gas in the cars run dry, whatever party holds the government benches in the BC legislature would feel the heat to deal.  And most politicians can't muster the will to hold out against a garbage strike.

>If it's that tough getting out of a province, I imagine it will be harder getting out of the country.

Getting out of a province and into the country as a new province or otherwise privileged region might require permission all around, but is different from walking out the door.  Ultimately, if a region wants out badly enough, all it has to do is prepare to weather the economic turmoil and dare the government of Canada to be willing to kill people to preserve a broken marriage, or back off.

I would do everything lawful to prevent Canada from going to war to retain people who want out.

[quote author=Brad Sallows] dare the government of Canada to be willing to kill people to preserve a broken marriage, or back off.[/QUOTE]

Would that be the same government that wants to treat lawfun gun owners, many of whom I imagine are military and police, like criminals?

And is afraid of soldiers in the streets, with guns?

mariomike said:
Good luck with that, Vince.

Metro looked into getting out of Ontario. For the GTA to secede from Ontario to create a new province would require an amendment to the Constitution of Canada. The constitutional amendment would require resolutions from the House of Commons of Canada and the Senate of Canada, and resolutions from the legislative bodies of 7 of the provinces representing at least 50% of the population.

If it's that tough getting out of a province, I imagine it will be harder getting out of the country.

Are you prepared to kill people if the provincial / municipal Govt. say they are independent? ?    If not, all that kife you posted is mute...

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Are you prepared to kill people if the provincial / municipal Govt. say they are independent? ?   

Am I prepared to kill people?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Everybody needs to take a chill pill.

I am an Albertan who lives in BC. Everyday, I am exposed to loudmouths and "experts" who are certain Alberta will end planet Earth. They are wrong and intolerant.

I will no more tolerate loudmouths and "experts" from Alberta expounding on separation. Most of us in uniform have first hand experience with how fast things can go south in a country when toleration and trust breakdown. Do any of you actually want the possibility of a civil war? Think very, very carefully on that.

Everyone: stop listening to politicians and experts who have messages of division. Stop posting or forwarding memes on facebook (or whatever). It does no one any good. Speak well of each other across Canada and take the moral high road!

SeaKingTacco said:
Everybody needs to take a chill pill.

I am an Albertan who lives in BC. Everyday, I am exposed to loudmouths and "experts" who are certain Alberta will end planet Earth. They are wrong and intolerant.

I will no more tolerate loudmouths and "experts" from Alberta expounding on separation. Most of us in uniform have first hand experience with how fast things can go south in a country when toleration and trust breakdown. Do any of you actually want the possibility of a civil war? Think very, very carefully on that.

Everyone: stop listening to politicians and experts who have messages of division. Stop posting or forwarding memes on facebook (or whatever). It does no one any good. Speak well of each other across Canada and take the moral high road!

Remain quiet keep it to yourself and accept your fate no matter how bad it is ain’t going to happen here there are limits that don’t get crossed and PM <edit> went well past them and he keeps on going.
You underestimate Albertans ability to handle this in a civil manner.

Milnet.ca staff: Edit to remove pejorative term contrary to site guidelines.

VinceW said:
Remain quiet keep it to yourself and accept your fate no matter how bad it is ain’t going to happen here there are limits that don’t get crossed and PM <edit> went well past them and he keeps on going.
You underestimate Albertans ability to handle this in a civil manner.

Vince, I will remain calm. I understand how badly Alberta and Saskatchewan are hurting- I have lived in both places and love them dearly. I am not the enemy.

That said, it would not at all shock me if Chinese or Russian bot farms were not now working overtime, fanning the flames. Don't fall into that trap. Don't be manipulated and instead, stand up for a Canada that works for all Canadians.

Milnet.ca staff: Edit to remove pejorative term contrary to site guidelines.

SeaKingTacco said:
Vince, I will remain calm. I understand how badly Alberta and Saskatchewan are hurting- I have lived in both places and love them dearly. I am not the enemy.

That said, it would not at all shock me if Chinese or Russian bot farms were not now working overtime, fanning the flames. Don't fall into that trap. Don't be manipulated and instead, stand up for a Canada that works for all Canadians.

We’re doing what’s right for us now the country has failed and is too corrupt to try and save again.

‘When fortune empties her chamber pot on your head, smile and say We are going to have a summer shower.’

John A. Macdonald

VinceW said:
We’re doing what’s right for us now the country has failed and is too corrupt to try and save again.

Yeah.. that worked well in Syria, Iraq, Etc.

First. World. Problems.

Actually I am sorry, I am getting childishly angry over your drumming of the seperation drum.

I will stop and try to collect my dignity. Again sorry, but I love my country...

Abdullah

VinceW said:
Canada is dead I’m only voting for independence parties now

TBH, I disagree as I completely love Canada and enjoy spending great time there. Coming back to voting, I do agree for voting the best political party.

AbdullahD said:
Yeah.. that worked well in Syria, Iraq, Etc.

First. World. Problems.

Actually I am sorry, I am getting childishly angry over your drumming of the seperation drum.

I will stop and try to collect my dignity. Again sorry, but I love my country...

Abdullah

I learned a long time ago that reasoning with seperatists is useless.  They don't think with their brains . They think with their emotions.

Remius said:
I learned a long time ago that reasoning with seperatists is useless.  They don't think with their brains . They think with their emotions.
That's a preeeeeety broad brush you're wielding there.

Throwing the attached into the mix (source) for discussion.

Attachments

• ScottMoeLetterSK.png
    ScottMoeLetterSK.png
    262.7 KB · Views: 99
So a few articles from back in the spring about this topic.  This is months before the election result.

One from Jay Hill trying to promote western separatism.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/opinion-independence-if-necessary-but-not-necessarily-independence

One from the national post as a rebuttal.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/colby-cosh-advice-on-western-separatism-dont-take-it-more-seriously-than-it-takes-itself

Back