• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Westboro Church Protest Mega-thread

I note the irony of welcoming the death of a person who was greatly disliked for welcoming the deaths of people he greatly disliked.

I just wonder if people are going to protest at his funeral, and what the fami....er cult will have to say about it.

Hatchet Man said:
I just wonder if people are going to protest at his funeral, and what the fami....er cult will have to say about it.
Duffelblog or Onion had an article about Westboro Baptist protesting at his funeral :nod:

He will have to account for his actions to his maker,just as we all will when our time comes.

One thing I found interesting about Fred Phelps was that he was a big proponent for the African American civil rights movement. So apparently he only hated some people.

Technoviking said:
I note the irony of welcoming the death of a person who was greatly disliked for welcoming the deaths of people he greatly disliked.

Or an atheist praying for his death  ;D

Technoviking said:

Irony, far out.  I'm okay with it.

Maybe Alanis Morisette could write a song about it. ;D

Kat Stevens said:
Irony, far out.  I'm okay with it.
I'm not.  I have no love lost for this guy, but I'm not going to stoop to his level and wish him a slow, painful death.  Nor would I protest his funeral, or whatever.  Instead, I'd rather see him fade away into obscurity.

Technoviking said:
Instead, I'd rather see him fade away into obscurity.

I'm quite sure that your wish will come true, sooner rather than later.

"What goes around comes around... "

Westboro Baptist Church Gets Punked With Thanksgiving Avian Flu Turkey Prank

The vehemently anti-***** group, which infamously protests the funerals of American soldiers and the concerts of super stars like Cher because it believes those events promote pro-***** sentiment, found itself the butt of a Thanksgiving prank.

The National Report, a satirical website, published a story earlier this month warning readers of a turkey recall due to avian flu.

"...It appears that the virus has recently developed the ability to move from bird hosts into humans... The results could be disastrous," The National Report stated. "The handling, preparation, and eating of these turkeys could infect millions of people during the Thanksgiving holiday," a CDC epidemiologist supposedly told the site, which cheekily bills itself as "America's #1 Independent News Source."

The site encouraged readers who were worried about their turkeys to contact the "Turkey Safety Hotline" in order to determine if their birds were affected by the recall. However, the phone number printed by The National Report didn't belong to a turkey hotline, it belonged to Westboro Baptist Church.

Addicting Info notes that "this caused the 'church' to receive countless calls, jamming their phone lines, and causing 'consumers' to be frustrated."

More at link below:

Huffington Post

17 June 2016

Westboro Baptist Church to protest funerals of Orlando shooting victims
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/orlando-westboro-baptist-church-protest-funerals-nightclub-shooting-a7088406.html
The infamous Westboro Baptist Church announced plans to demonstrate outside of an Orlando church while funerals for two victims of the Pulse nightclub shootings are underway.

mariomike said:
17 June 2016

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/orlando-westboro-baptist-church-protest-funerals-nightclub-shooting-a7088406.html
The infamous Westboro Baptist Church announced plans to demonstrate outside of an Orlando church while funerals for two victims of the Pulse nightclub shootings are underway.

What a bunch of *****, I won't wish bad on them. I'll wish they grow up and realize what they have done and are doing.

On the day of judgement these chaps are going to have a rough time it looks like.

mariomike said:
17 June 2016

In response, several groups came together to ensure that they did not disrupt the funerals.

Photos and Video at the link.

'Angels' blocked anti-gay protesters from Orlando shooting victim's burial

https://news.vice.com/article/angels-blocked-anti-gay-protesters-from-orlando-shooting-victims-burial

Funerals for two of the 49 Orlando massacre victims took place amid anti-gay protesters and an impatient driver who cut through a funeral procession, injuring two deputies.

The four anti-gay protesters were from the homophobic Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church. They raised signs with anti-gay slogans outside the Cathedral Church of St. Luke, where services took place for Christopher Leinonen, who was one of those killed in the attack on the Pulse nightclub in Orlando.

Police formed a line between the Westboro protesters and the hundreds of funeral attendees, who included members of the LGBTQ community, priests, bikers, and locals.

The crowd cheered when members of Orlando's Shakespeare Theater wearing "angel wings," measuring eight feet across and three feet above their shoulders, to block out the Westboro protesters.

The wings were made of white cloth and plastic piping. Reuters reports that the wings first surfaced at the 1998 funeral of Matthew Shepard, a gay student who was brutally murdered in Wyoming.

Hundreds of counter-protesters sang "Amazing Grace" in response to the Westboro group.

During the funeral procession for Jean Carlos Mendez in Kissimee, Florida, about 20 miles south of Orlando, a driver became impatient, cut through the procession and injured two sheriff's deputies on motorcycles.

The mass shooting, which took place a week ago, killed 49 and injured scores more. On Saturday evening in Berlin, more than a thousand people attended a candle-lit vigil to show solidarity with the victims of the attack, their families, and the wider LGBT community. The Brandenburg Gate was lit up in rainbow colors.

US Attorney General Loretta Lynch condemned last week's mass shooting as "an act of terror and an act of hate," echoing the line used by President Barack Obama and others, and thereby acknowledging that when the gunman targeted a gay nightclub, he was targeting the LGBT community at large.

Back