• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wedding: Got the Air Force tartan blues...

Shaynelle

Inactive
Reaction score
We are getting married in September and we are on an extremely tight budget because we just bought a house.

More than anything my fiance would like to get married in the Air Force tartan full formal uniform (kilt) but I can't afford the nearly $2,000.00 to purchase the full set.   I can get him just the kilt maybe (even that is $500) but it would be useless because it would look dumb without the matching jacket which is also $500. or so.

Does anyone know anyone who has a tartan kilt and or jacket (Air Force blue to match the kilt) that wouldn't mind lending it to him for our wedding?   We would pay to have it cleaned afterwards and we would pay for shipping, etc. and even give a cash deposit.   I really want to try and do this for him as a gift from me because it would mean so much to him.   He was in Seaforth Highlanders and loved their DEU's (kilts) and really misses the kilt because his background is Scottish.

Anyone here can help?   I realize kilts are made custom generally, as are the jackets, plus I realize I'm grasping at straws here, but I'd rather ask then just assume its impossible.

Thanks very much,
Shaynelle

You know that you can rent the whole outfit, much like a tuxedo, for a very reasonable investment.   Where are you located? Maybe I can refer you to a highland house that also rents.   Will save you on money and grief of shipping, lending etc etc...

dileas

tess

Shaynelle,

Just keep in mind also, that the air force tartan kilt is SUPPOSED to be only worn by Air Force pers. that are members of a pipe band.  I don't think that the uniform is to be worn by others looking to add a 'Scottish Flavor' to the uniform.

If you're intent on a Scottish wedding, I'd suggest that you do as 48th Regulator suggested and contact a Scottish shop and they'll point you in the right direction as to where to rent formal civilian highland attire.  If he's a former Seaforth he might want to consider wearing the MacKenzie tartan or he could wear the RCAF tartan with a 'Prince Charlie Coatee'.  That would probably be the most appropriate dress to wear for the wedding.

If you still live in the lower mainland then you have a few options. TartanTown is in Coquitlam http://www.tartantown.com/rentals.htm and a shop in Gastown that I'm unable to locate (I can't remember the name is why, but it's easy to find, East of Waterfront station a few blocks, North side of the road) rents out highland kit. Hope this tiny nugget helps.

[melancholy singing]I got the Air Force tartan blooooos...[/melancholy singing]

Matt_Fisher said:
Shaynelle,

Just keep in mind also, that the air force tartan kilt is SUPPOSED to be only worn by Air Force pers. that are members of a pipe band.   I don't think that the uniform is to be worn by others looking to add a 'Scottish Flavor' to the uniform.

If you're intent on a Scottish wedding, I'd suggest that you do as 48th Regulator suggested and contact a Scottish shop and they'll point you in the right direction as to where to rent formal civilian highland attire.   If he's a former Seaforth he might want to consider wearing the MacKenzie tartan or he could wear the RCAF tartan with a 'Prince Charlie Coatee'.   That would probably be the most appropriate dress to wear for the wedding.

I'm curious if this is the case, then why did the CO approve the request?   Mind you it wasn't official, it was verbal, so we should get a firm approval first before proceeding.  Is there a CANFORGEN on this?   Not to be rude, but if there is we need to read it so we can be aware of the policies regarding this.   Thanks for letting me know about this, especially the 'Prince Charlie Coatee', it does look very sharp and I believe would fit the bill if he's not allowed to wear the official uniform.  Thank you!

Although they are falling out of style, wearing a vest with the tartan can look quite sharp also. In terms of rental about the only jacket you will get is the Prince Charlie but on the plus side they fit well, look sharp and are easy to dance in. If you live near Vancouver, the shop in Gastown is quite good and IMO better than Tartantown as they are more oriented towards serving  the public.

I believe the shop in Gastown is called "House of Edinburgh."  Careful - there are two Scottish shops in Gastown; one sells predominantly clothing, the other sells food, clothing and souvenirs.

I'm quite familiar with both, as my family is of Scottish descent and my cousins lived for a time in Edinburgh.

Wahh we just moved from Vancouver to Winnipeg.  Maybe my profile still says Vancouver.  Have to change that.  But maybe my mom in law will rent it for him as she is still in Vancouver.  Thanks for the tip!

The kilt looks quite sharp with the mess kit jacket, and the dress regs (re: pipers only) don't extend to the mess kit.  There was an exhausted debate on this subject on another discussion board.

Back