• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)

DetectiveMcNulty said:
Maybe you guys should stop recruiting children and then pictures for mom wouldn't be such an issue?

That’s enough.  No need for the personal attack. It was a reasonable question.

Army.ca Staff

Furniture said:
As suggested, carry your uniform in a garment bag and change at the studio. Less gawking from the public, and no real potential to do anything that can be seen as inappropriate while in uniform.

More importantly, it will protect you from sticky fingered kids and getting splashed by a speeding minivan that just dropped off those same kids.

mariomike said:

My mom would've loved a studio photo of me in my DEU, but they were not cheap to get back then.  Sadly she passed away many years before I reached a rank where such photos were required and provided by the CAF.

Haggis said:
My mom would've loved a studio photo of me in my DEU, but they were not cheap to get back then.  Sadly she passed away many years before I reached a rank where such photos were required and provided by the CAF.

I was serious when I asked that. Moms love photos of their kids.

I joined the PRes when I was 16. My parents took photos of me in the old RCASC battledress, and dress uniform.

Sorry to hear about your mother. Dad passed away, but Mom is still going strong.

There is more than Mom's who like pictures.

My wife and I (both serving members - that's where we met) and her brothers (3 of them) all served in the Navy. obviously, we all wanted pictures in uniform, separate and together, from professional photographers for our own sake.

Nothing wrong with that. We did, and I must say they are an item of great interest to our children.

I got some professional photos taken right after I was commissioned. My mom has one framed and it sits with all the other family photos in her condo.

I still have copies in a photo album. God damn I was skinny and my hair was a golden blond back then!  :'(

mariomike said:
Sorry to hear about your mother. Dad passed away, but Mom is still going strong.

Thanks.  My mom passed away while I was deployed in 2004.  My last "family" photo with her was taken while on HLTA on New Year's Eve 2003.  She was very proud of my service but wasn't around to see my promotion to CWO or subsequent commissioning. My dad was a Second World War Canadian Guards junior NCO.  Not sure how my commissioning would've been accepted by him.  ;D

Haggis said:
Thanks.  My mom passed away while I was deployed in 2004.  My last "family" photo with her was taken while on HLTA on New Year's Eve 2003.  She was very proud of my service but wasn't around to see my promotion to CWO or subsequent commissioning. My dad was a Second World War Canadian Guards junior NCO.  Not sure how my commissioning would've been accepted by him.  ;D
My parents both were NCO’s. Both still take the piss for me becoming an officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize to anyone I offended with my inappropriate comment.

However, as someone that also signed up to the PRes at 16, I stand by my comments that no one should be eligible for military service until they reach the age of majority (and I don't think anyone under 25 should deploy) I have good reason to feel this way, but it was not the right place to voice my concerns.

Haggis -  :salute:

DetectiveMcNulty said:
, I stand by my comments that no one should be eligible for military service until they reach the age of majority

You can join the PRes at age 16. But, don't deploy until age 18.

Age Limits to Join 
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/12904.250
31 pages.

Mariomike...I'm well aware of that. You are still being indoctrinated at age 16. That makes no sense to me.

I stand by 18-21 to join, 25 to deploy.

Edited to add: I'm now getting docked milpoints for politely sharing my view on something. Apparently free speech is "aggressive". I will no longer be posting on this site. Thank you to Mike and army.ca for all the years of good reading and the good people I met on this site.

:salute:

DetectiveMcNulty said:
Mariomike...I'm well aware of that. You are still being indoctrinated at age 16. That makes no sense to me.

But, at least in my experience and opinion, that indoctrination was all positive.

I loved being an MSE Op in the PRes.

Calvillo said:
The Dress Instructions say:

With that, can a Reservist not go to a photo studio to have her photograph in uniform taken for personal use?
Sheesh, the amount of churn over this simple question is amazing! Calvillo - if you want a photo of you in uniform for your family or friends, do what MM/Furniture said (take your uniform to the studio in a garment bag, change, and change back to civies afterwards) and have at ‘er.

Now what about the poster getting married in uniform with "moving" pictures and stills?

Rifleman62 said:
Now what about the poster getting married in uniform with "moving" pictures and stills?

For reference to the discussion,

The Military Wedding Superthread- merged
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/1366/post-15799.html#msg15799
7 pages.

DetectiveMcNulty said:

I guess it would depend on how desperate they were for trained wo/manpower during wartime?

My dad joined the RCN in 1943 when he was 17. Went into action when he was 18. His brother joined the RCAF in 1941 when he was 18. KIA over France in 1944.

My grandparents did not have a studio photo of my uncle in his uniform. Just informal snapshots. They asked him to get one, but apparently, he never got around to it. When he went MIA, they insisted my father go to a photo studio on the Atlantic coast in his uniform.

During the war, if you wanted a studio quality photo, you had to go own your own. The CAF just did "mug-shots" for your personnel record. At least, that's what I understand.

ArmyDoc said:
Sheesh, the amount of churn over this simple question is amazing! Calvillo - if you want a photo of you in uniform for your family or friends, do what MM/Furniture said (take your uniform to the studio in a garment bag, change, and change back to civies afterwards) and have at ‘er.

Yes, people are getting all worked up over something very innocuous.  The regulations concerning wearing uniforms in public are all about protecting the CAF image and preventing abuse.  We don't want to see folks in uniform getting into bar fights, but moving between Point A and Point B at whatever time, for whatever legitimate reason is fine.  Getting a photo done is a legitimate activity, whether regular/reserve or on paid service or not.  If you want to get a photo done, go for it.  If it makes sense to carry your uniform in a garment bag, do it.  If it makes more sense to simply wear it, that's OK too.

Relax.  It's not that big a deal.

[quote author=DetectiveMcNulty] I will no longer be posting on this site. Thank you to Mike and army.ca for all the years of good reading and the good people I met on this site.

:salute:
[/quote]

I think you should stay, and I'm actually super smart about these things.

DetectiveMcNulty said:

That would have saved us a lot of money and training time in our Second World War effort.

They would have been ready to ship overseas around 1946.  :)

Hello,

I have another case. My wife works in a company that sells stuff. Not for public retails but for contractors. Her boss the Location Manager, is apparently a CIC Officer. I believe he is the CO or XO of his unit. The thing is, during the day of the week where he has cadets in the evening he just wears his uniform to the office. So there he is, talking to clients or doing staff meeting in his day job wearing his no. 3B or 3C.

Is that in any way appropriate? I really do not want to mind anybody's business and I do not want my wife to jeopardize her job there.

Back