• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniform in Public (Cadets)

my72jeep said:
Not what I meant and you know it.

Then what does being the father of a daughter have to do with it? I am the mother of a daughter. There's nothing wrong or improper in her knowing how to do, or actually doing, any of these things.

Note that I am also the mother of a son; he too can do all of these things. And, the father of that boy would tell you there's nothing wrong with his knowing how to do so either.

1. a cadet making alterations to the uniform mybe because it doesn't fit. hits to the CO in me.
2. a female cadet making alterations to the uniform maybe because it doesn't fit or to make it fit tighter.hits the father in me.

my72jeep said:
1. a cadet making alterations to the uniform mybe because it doesn't fit. hits to the CO in me.
2. a female cadet making alterations to the uniform maybe because it doesn't fit or to make it fit tighter.hits the father in me.

#1 is fine and that should hit the CO in you ... or ... the Sup Tech in me.

But, there is no evidence that #2 is ocurring or that it was even inferred in the sense of "making it tighter".  Sad fact is, for girls ... especially ones with larger butts and smaller waists / big shoulders with smaller chests ... off the rack garments provided by the CF just don't fit us properly. Every set of DEU pants that I've been issued has to be taken in at said waist else I could shove both arms in the gap there while they'd fit my butt perfectly. My shirts are huge in the chest in order to fit my shoulders. It's a fact of life that most girls live with while most boys don't.

Ever gone jean shopping with your wife? I have yet to find a pair that fits me properly.

my72jeep said:

It doesn't fit right, and I altered it to fit right. There's another thread about this...

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/102708.0.html

I wouldn't alter it to make it tighter though... I cut some material and hemmed the bottom of the gunshirt, to make it shorter, but it was hanging around my knees. I brought it up to mid-thigh. Less to tuck in. Also, the pants are designed for guys straight-ish bodies, not the female's curves. It just didn't fit right. Now it's as comfortable as can be, and looks the exact same as all the others. Gunshirts have no give in the chest, let it out, tuck the wait in, equals less to belt up, less bulk, less heat, and less chance of passing out on parade.

Also, on offering the same services to the other females, I do the same thing. Less bulk, fits proper, more comfortable. Once the Cadet program comes out with either a tailoring service, or a uniform line for females (see link), I will continue with it.

EDIT: To add afterthought...  :facepalm:

RemembranceDay said:
It doesn't fit right, and I altered it to fit right. There's another thread about this...

I wouldn't alter it to make it tighter though... I cut some material and hemmed the bottom of the gunshirt, to make it shorter, but it was hanging around my knees. I brought it up to mid-thigh. Less to tuck in. Also, the pants are designed for guys straight-ish bodies, not the female's curves. It just didn't fit right. Now it's as comfortable as can be, and looks the exact same as all the others. Gunshirts have no give in the chest, let it out, tuck the wait in, equals less to belt up, less bulk, less heat, and less chance of passing out on parade.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. Been there, still there, and still doing it.  :-\

Pat in Halifax said:
Everyone loves a sailor!

Everyone, except the Navy.

The RCN hates its sailors. It's the only possible explanation.

I wish that the Cadet program would do away with its 70's style collars on the tunic.

Get Nautical said:
I wish that the Cadet program would do away with its 70's style collars on the tunic.

Well, we use STU's for the most part now, save CD's... I like the collars...

ArmyVern said:
#1 is fine and that should hit the CO in you ... or ... the Sup Tech in me.

But, there is no evidence that #2 is ocurring or that it was even inferred in the sense of "making it tighter".  Sad fact is, for girls ... especially ones with larger butts and smaller waists / big shoulders with smaller chests ... off the rack garments provided by the CF just don't fit us properly. Every set of DEU pants that I've been issued has to be taken in at said waist else I could shove both arms in the gap there while they'd fit my butt perfectly. My shirts are huge in the chest in order to fit my shoulders. It's a fact of life that most girls live with while most boys don't.

Ever gone jean shopping with your wife? I have yet to find a pair that fits me properly.
Vern I do, I really do understand, but she is my first and only girl and she starts school this year and the 5 yo down the street is showing intrest in her. I'm not sure I'm ready for her to start modifying her clothes yet.

my72jeep said:
Vern I do, I really do understand, but she is my first and only girl and she starts school this year and the 5 yo down the street is showing intrest in her. I'm not sure I'm ready for her to start modifying her clothes yet.

The 5 YO; ready your shotgun - it gets worse with age!! No worries yet though as she's only at the "he has germs" stage.  :eek:

RemembranceDay said:

Also, on offering the same services to the other females, I do the same thing. Less bulk, fits proper, more comfortable. Once the Cadet program comes out with either a tailoring service, or a uniform line for females (see link), I will continue with it.

EDIT: To add afterthought...  :facepalm:
Sorry I may have accused you of doing something you have not. back in my cadet days 78-84 it was common for the female's to tighten the uniform.

my72jeep said:

Sure it's not my little brother? LOL, but I don't blame you for being protective. My father is too, and I love him for it.... He actually (jokingly) said to my boyfriend (first, only, and now ex) that he would get out MY gun.... (Daisy 853c).

RemembranceDay said:
Sure it's not my little brother? LOL, but I don't blame you for being protective. My father is too, and I love him for it.... He actually (jokingly) said to my boyfriend (first, only, and now ex) that he would get out MY gun.... (Daisy 853c).

and shoot him in the eye at point blank range, strike his face with the butt of the rifle?

The new material used for cadet uniforms is the same cotton/poly blend used for the white Navy trousers.  Continued pressing with a steam iron (i.e. several weeks worth of daily wear) will eventually cause a razor sharp crease to form.  It will happen.  It just takes awhile.  Another trick is to take some brown paper towel (the standard found in most CF washrooms), soak it in water, wring it out and use it as a pressing cloth.  It has a starch-like effect on polyester (notwithstanding that regular spray starch is useless on that stuff).

When I was a cadet, a lot of us used to alter our uniforms to get a better fit.  I will admit that the guys had an easier time of it, but we still had problems.  My biggest complaint was that the silly belt was too high.  I used to cut it off (they were sewn on back then) and wear a white belt instead (my position in the corps had me wearing a white belt anyway).

I am a Sgt. at my local cadet corps and I just tell the younger kids, don't try to shortcut your uniform, because #1 you are to young to know what your doing and get away with it, and #2 Your uniform can be just as good if you take some time away from the TVs and computers and spend a few minutes a night touching up your uniform, Just 10 Min's can make a big difference.

William Hoskins said:
I am a Sgt. at my local cadet corps and I just tell the younger kids, don't try to shortcut your uniform, because #1 you are to young to know what your doing and get away with it, and #2 Your uniform can be just as good if you take some time away from the TVs and computers and spend a few minutes a night touching up your uniform, Just 10 Min's can make a big difference.

I think I ran out of breath just reading this in my head.

William Hoskins said:

Can you clarify this? "You're too young to know what you're doing", and then you contradict yourself (or so it seems) with Your uniform can be just as good if you take some time away from the TVs and computers and spend a few minutes a night touching up your uniform, Just 10 Min's can make a big difference.

It's like you're telling them "don't do your uniform.", and then telling them to take ten minutes a night.... Not understanding this.

RemembranceDay said:
Can you clarify this? "You're too young to know what you're doing", and then you contradict yourself (or so it seems) with Your uniform can be just as good if you take some time away from the TVs and computers and spend a few minutes a night touching up your uniform, Just 10 Min's can make a big difference.

It's like you're telling them "don't do your uniform.", and then telling them to take ten minutes a night.... Not understanding this.

Good, glad I wasn''t the only one who was confused. I thought I was having another seniors moment there. :-[

Back