• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springroll

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Just a question for all of you service members.

Am I permitted to wear my late grandfather's and great grandfather's medals on Rememberance Day and on major parades?

Both have quite a few medals for their service, and sacrifice, and I am curious if I am able to honour their service by wearing their medals?

No.

See article 419 of the Criminal Code.

http://www.canlii.org/ca/sta/c-46/sec419.html

And this has been brought up before, I know you don't like being told to seach, but..... Search.

I did search and everything posted contradicts itself.

That is why I posted it.
Maybe we will get clear answers instead of alot of opinions and "so and so said I could" crap.

Is the Criminal Code a clear enough answer?

Springroll...Do you just wanna wear some medals on your BMQ Grad Parade? Why not earn some first? eh? ;D

Inch said:
Is the Criminal Code a clear enough answer?

Actually, it isn't. This is the link you posted:

PART X FRAUDULENT TRANSACTIONS RELATING TO CONTRACTS AND TRADE
              Public Stores
Unlawful use of military uniforms or certificates

419. Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him,

(a) wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force or a uniform that is so similar to the uniform of any of those forces that it is likely to be mistaken therefor,

(b) wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds received or service performed in war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services, or any imitation thereof, or any mark or device or thing that is likely to be mistaken for any such mark, medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or order,

(c) has in his possession a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card from the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force that has not been issued to and does not belong to him, or

(d) has in his possession a commission or warrant or a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card, issued to an officer or a person in or who has been in the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force, that contains any alteration that is not verified by the initials of the officer who issued it, or by the initials of an officer thereto lawfully authorized,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

By this, as long as you have permission to wear it, it is ok.... ??? ??? ???

>>Infanteer101<< said:
Springroll...Do you just wanna wear some medals on your BMQ Grad Parade? Why not earn some first? eh? ;D

Fudge NO!!!

I am not like that.

I was asking a simple question, not looking for a debate.
If I am able to wear my grandfather's and great grandfather's medals on Remeberance Day, than I want too.
BTW, I was given permission in my grandfathers will. :)

Springroll said:
Actually, it isn't. This is the link you posted:

PART X FRAUDULENT TRANSACTIONS RELATING TO CONTRACTS AND TRADE
               Public Stores
Unlawful use of military uniforms or certificates

419. Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him,

(a) wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force or a uniform that is so similar to the uniform of any of those forces that it is likely to be mistaken therefor,

(b) wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds received or service performed in war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services, or any imitation thereof, or any mark or device or thing that is likely to be mistaken for any such mark, medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or order,

(c) has in his possession a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card from the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force that has not been issued to and does not belong to him, or

(d) has in his possession a commission or warrant or a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card, issued to an officer or a person in or who has been in the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force, that contains any alteration that is not verified by the initials of the officer who issued it, or by the initials of an officer thereto lawfully authorized,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

By this, as long as you have permission to wear it, it is ok.... ??? ??? ???

You must have lawful authority to wear them, sorry but just because Grampa said you could, it doesn't mean you have lawful authority.

DHH Website FAQs: http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dhh/engraph/faqs_e.asp?category=honawa&FaqID=25#answer

Question
May I wear a relative's medals?

Answer
Article 419 of the Criminal Code of Canada prohibits the wearing of orders, decorations and medals by anyone other than the individual who was awarded the honour.

I have already said that he gave me LAWFUL permission in his will when they were presented to me.

Like I said, I will ask his lawyer.

Springroll said:
I have already said that he gave me LAWFUL permission in his will when they were presented to me.

Like I said, I will ask his lawyer.

Was your grandfather a judge? Then I don't think he constitutes lawful authority and neither will your lawyer.

Whiskey, little help here?

Inch said:
Was your grandfather a judge? Then I don't think he constitutes lawful authority and neither will your lawyer.

Whiskey, little help here?

Do you not know the definition of lawful permission???

law ·ful    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (lôfl)
adj.
Being within the law; allowed by law: lawful methods of dissent.
Established, sanctioned, or recognized by the law: the lawful heir.
Obeying the law; law-abiding.

per ·mis ·sion    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (pr-mshn)
n.
The act of permitting.
Consent, especially formal consent; authorization.

In other words, by my grandfather stating in his will that the medals were given to me and were permitted to be used at my discretion, than I was given LAWFUL PERMISSION.

Understand now??

Springroll said:
Do you not know the definition of lawful permission???

Oi, yes I do, lawful means being in harmony with the law. The law states in pretty clear terms that you can't wear a military medal or decoration if it wasn't awarded to you.

If I was to give someone permission to wear my complete uniform, it would still be illegal for them to wear it since it would be in contravention of article 419. I don't constitute lawful authority.

But, I have a sneaking suspicion that you're not going to listen to what I have to say and I'm going flying so I digress.

Got that right because this sentence says it all:

419. Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him, is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

I have lawful authority, as was stated by my grandfather in his will.
I am begiunning to wonder if maybe you do not understand any of this then.... ???

A grantor cannot give "lawful permission" in a will to use estate property granted to an estate beneficiary for something that is prohibited by statute. They may however dictate how the medals may not be used, displayed etc. A military medal is much more than than mere "memorabilia". They are meant to convey a regulatory recognition of acts done by the person to whom they awarded, not those to whom the medals were granted in a will. A grantee wearing the medals in the manner that they were intended to be worn by the person who earned them would constitute the offence mentioned by Gunner 98.

That being said, I have my grandfathers DFC set in a casing and occasionally wear it with a chain. [something I gather a person who actually earned the medal would never do].  

Royal Canadian Legion medals may be a different story ... but wrt GoC/Crown medals the law and the policy rationale behind it are quite clear.

Springroll
It seems to me that you are not interested in getting the correct answer to your question, the only answer that you seem to be looking for (and wont stop until you get it) is "Yes you can wear your grandfathers medals". The links provided by the other members are infact correct and that is the only answer that you will get. Sometimes the answers that we seek questions to are not always favourable...

I think may be easier to just call up my grandfather's lawyer and ask him...he knows the law.

I am not looking for a specific answer, but the link that was provided is basicall for those that will walk around claiming they are a veteran, when they never even got close to the recruiting center...basically fraud.

I have heard that i can wear them but on the other side of my chest, and I have heard that I can not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back