• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weapons Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianblue

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering, what do you all think is the best combat weapon out in the world today?

Feel free to add pics.

For what situation?
Handheld, crew-served, or vehicle?
Personal preference and "look cool factor"?
An "I wanna shoot that" opinion?

There are too many factors to readily define any one weapon or weapon system the "best" overall.

Please feel free to define your question parameters. You may also find some interesting related threads in the Weapons section of the Infantry FAQ - http://army.ca/forums/threads/21131.0.html

Aside from all the modern stuff, I reckon the  "Rifle, .303 No.1 MkIII SMLE" has got em beat! It has the range, accuracy, punch, high rate of fire and great mag capacity, robustness and reliability.

It can launch grenades, and a bayonet can be attached. The sights are easily adjusted, and it can be fed from chargers, and there is ammo from drill, blank, ball, tracer, AP, API to name a few.

It has sling swivels, a stacking swivel, well placed safety, a butt trap (with oil bottle and pull-thru), and from an armourer's point, easy to work on, and no plastic!

In the hands of a trained Rifleman, the results were impressive. From Bullecourt in WW1, to Kakoda in WW2 to Kapyong in Korea, and even today here in Australia, the Lithgow SMLE is still in the system, has a NSN, but is obsolete.

Plus the Lee-Enfield is still around (in service in Africa and India and other places) owned by thousands of private citizens worldwide, and has already started it's third century.

The rifle is truly in a class of its own!

Cheers,

Wes

The best combat weapon is a well trained and well motivated soldier. Everything else is a tool for him to use.

Wesley H. Allen said:
Plus the Lee-Enfield is still around (in service in Africa and India and other places) owned by thousands of private citizens worldwide, and has already started it's third century.

Still in service in Canada for that matter... they're issued to Ranger patrols, for several reasons... cheap as they're still kicking around from WWII/Korea stocks, easy to train Rangers to use them, effective in arctic conditions, and most importantly, they give you a fighting chance versus a polar bear.

I couldn't agree with Wes more, i have a 1943 Australian SMLE, was rebuilt after WW2, a extremely well made rifle,i love taking it to the range, also have several Canadian No.4 Long Branch rifles, these rifles too can give a guy a rush

My brother actually has a Lee Enfield as well. Thats one fine weapon.

What do you all think about the Garand, and how about the British SA80

If I had to choose a gun, I'm not sure but I'd probably go with the M14, thats the gun that I always use when playing Rainbow Six Raven Shield.

If I had to choose a gun, I'm not sure but I'd probably go with the M14, thats the gun that I always use when playing Rainbow Six Raven Shield.

You would chose a weapon based on how its portrayed in a video game???? Oie!  ::)

....and with that, I guess any serious discussion on military small arms has went out the door.

Future Trooper, this isn't a video game.  Switch your radio to "receive".

Infanteer said:
Future Trooper, this isn't a video game.   Switch your radio to "receive".

Greatest line ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back