• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'We could hear the burning': Canada's top soldier remembers the Battle of Medak Pocket

A friend of mine was with 12 RBC during a Balkan tour. He met a former PPCLI member who was a Croatian Army Officer who kept making disparaging remarks at the regiment trying to provoke him.

I was in Croatia for a NATO meeting in the late 200s and I was quite nervous about it. I met one of my Spanish counterparts and he told me that he had seriously considering bring a pistol for self protection before he left Madrid. He had done a tour in Croatia a few years back.

A number of friends were never the same after they returned home from the Balkans. One of them, in hindsight, tried to commit suicide by walking at night alone in a bad neighbourhood numerous times. Another friend with the CAR was administratively released when he told the CoC that he needed mental health services support. He was branded and shamed for being "weak." Another guy committed suicide by shooting himself years after the conflict.

Not good memories.

Thanks for this - intriguing timeline on his web page ....

Number of young guys from the 807 area code headed there in those days to fight the fight. No word re: what happened to most of them.
I knew a few ethnic Croats growing up in Victoria - one kid in my brother's high school class was a bit of an Ustache type that I would have voted most likely to fly back, but apparently was all mouth and didn't go back to the motherland despite him wandering about slagging Serbs.

I knew a few ethnic Croats growing up in Victoria - one kid in my brother's high school class was a bit of an Ustache type that I would have voted most likely to fly back, but apparently was all mouth and didn't go back to the motherland despite him wandering about slagging Serbs.
I did hear from some older Croats here saying that at least some of the "heroes" were just walking around in the old country just drinking and hitting on the ladies.

From what I understand the killing is not over. Next time let them do it.

Thanks for this - intriguing timeline on his web page ....

Number of young guys from the 807 area code headed there in those days to fight the fight. No word re: what happened to most of them.

Also interesting seeing leaders of the more nationalist Croatian parties touring Canada making sure Thunder Bay was one of the stops, especially for fundraising.
Interesting that he only lists Croatian as his citizenship and not Canadian - gotta wonder if he collects CPP, GIS and/or OAS......

Corporal to General, that is a big career move.

almost seems like a walter claim to fame
Ya, but precedent has already been set about 125yrs prior on this sort of meteoritic rise in ranks. I give you ex-Sargent Danny Dravot who rose to be King, from Sargent, in Kafiristan. Danny Dravot become known as 'The Man Who Would be King.'......

Remember, in the land of the blind, the One Eyed Man is King.....

Two things I've said and been pilloried mostly by people who seem to have some connection to the conflict.
Too bad I stand by them both.
"Welcome to the Balkans , don't forget to turn your watches back 500 years."

" The average residents of the former Yugoslavia can't tell what you what they had for breakfast that morning.
But they can tell you the color of the sky the day somebody did dirt to one of their ancestors. Some 3 -400 years ago."

Both of the above I think may help to explain why the country/countries are the way they are . It's a lot more complex then that of course .....but.

Interesting that he only lists Croatian as his citizenship and not Canadian - gotta wonder if he collects CPP, GIS and/or OAS......
No doubt in my mind he does collect.

One thing to note, none of those "social security benefit programmes" have citizenship as an exclusive requirement for eligibility; residency in Canada is the common eligibility requirement. It is probable that he qualifies for CPP since he was employed in Canada (CAF, police, other jobs?) and, like all other workers, made his contributions. OAS requires 20 years residency in Canada after the age of 18 for individuals who are living outside Canada when they apply, so it is very possible (based on his on-line CV's employment history) that he left Canada before he completed that 20 year mark. GIS requires one to be receiving OAS to be eligible and they only receive it if living in Canada.

But (and there's always a "but"), the calculation/eligibility of any Canadian benefits that he could receive may also depend on a "social security agreement" between Canada and other countries where he may have entitlement to applicable social security benefits. And yes, Canada does have a social security agreement with Croatia.

Back