• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Warhammer 40k, Any players?

eharps

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just saw this board and only saw one old post about 40k, but I think it was about the Space Marine videogame.

Does anyone here play 40k at all? If so, what are your armies, formations, interests etc? I am always looking for new people to have a round with as well as talk about it!

Let me know!

eharps  :salute:

Been playing since 2nd edition was new.  Just paint and model now though.

Underway said:
Been playing since 2nd edition was new.  Just paint and model now though.

I never understood the painting. Why can't they just come pre-painted? I told my buddy who was big into it that I'd play him, but that my army consisted entirely of pieces of paper with the names of my units written on them. He kicked me out of his room.

Lumber said:
I never understood the painting. Why can't they just come pre-painted? I told my buddy who was big into it that I'd play him, but that my army consisted entirely of pieces of paper with the names of my units written on them. He kicked me out of his room.

LOL. This post has officially made my day.

Oh man, that is funny. In all seriousness, I remember proxying some small-scale action figures as Dreadnoughts for a small points boost, not a proud moment for me as a kid....

What armies do you guys collect/play?

I used to play a while ago. I was debating on getting a army up and running again but so much has changed. Last time I played there was no planes, and rending had just become part of the game (things like rending claws on Tyranids and your assault cannons became the best weapons in the game as you had 4 shots and if you rolled a 6 it was virtually a instant kill).

If I do get a army up and running it will be my Imperial Guard, I also have a Ravenwing army kicking around somewhere but it is apparently very outdated (as now there is not much point in having a pure Ravenwing army anymore).

Eaglelord17 said:
I used to play a while ago. I was debating on getting a army up and running again but so much has changed.

That's why it is such a great thing! I just got back into it from roughly an 8 year hiatus and it is so much fun. Now I have amassed a fairly sizeable Dark Angels army and am making some custom boards and terrain. I love the creativity I get to put into it because frankly, I am not an artistic guy with anything else.

Also, battling it out with some buddies and beers is a great way to waste an evening or a day.

I have seen this game from time to time, and it makes as much sense as recreating the battle of the Somme with nuclear weapons while running around in tie dyed t-shirts.

Still, people seem to enjoy it, so who am I to complain?

I play Tau and Tyranids, both very fun, for me table top games are a social game. Go have beers with friends, play a game or two, chat and make a day of it, versus video games which just make my head hurt after about an hour

I started playing 40K in 2000 using money earned while on Phase training LOL.

I started out with Imperial Guard Praetorians, then moved into Sisters of Battle. Sold everything in 2006 because I thought I'd never have time to play anymore with a young family. Have gotten back into it in the last 5 years as my children get a bit older.

I now have a Death Korps of Krieg army, a "DIY" Blood Angel Successor army, and an Inquisition army that's been in the works forever but is more of a modelling/painting project since it will always suck on the tabletop. I haven't done much 40K at all in the last year though as my two sons convinced me to get them some Star Wars: Legion and Flames of War and these two are their favourites.

Thucydides said:
I have seen this game from time to time, and it makes as much sense as recreating the battle of the Somme with nuclear weapons while running around in tie dyed t-shirts.

This is pretty close.  Though I prefer Goth Science Fiction Tolkeinistic recreation of Stalingrad.  If you want science fiction realism (sort of) then look to Dropzone Commander. Excellent game with realistic explanations for the short weapons ranges and lack of artillery support.

LittleBlackDevil said:
I now have a Death Korps of Krieg army, a "DIY" Blood Angel Successor army, and an Inquisition army that's been in the works forever but is more of a modelling/painting project since it will always suck on the tabletop. I haven't done much 40K at all in the last year though as my two sons convinced me to get them some Star Wars: Legion and Flames of War and these two are their favourites.

Death Korps is my dream army, just can't justify the Forgeworld and don't trust China forged.  Craftworlders for me.

Underway said:
If you want science fiction realism (sort of) then look to Dropzone Commander.

I don't play games like that but I just read up about this game and it looks really interesting. Pretty cool backstory too.

I don't play Warhammer 40K but I know GamesWorkshop recently tried to up their sales by introducing this crazy plot twist in their cannon. Basically people have been hiding on Mars for 10'000 years and poof all of a sudden they're back so here's a bunch of new expensive miniatures for you to buy. Like special special special special, special forces.

Their stocks appear to be going steadily down since releasing their new stuff.

Jarnhamar said:
I don't play games like that but I just read up about this game and it looks really interesting. Pretty cool backstory too.

I don't play Warhammer 40K but I know GamesWorkshop recently tried to up their sales by introducing this crazy plot twist in their cannon. Basically people have been hiding on Mars for 10'000 years and poof all of a sudden they're back so here's a bunch of new expensive miniatures for you to buy. Like special special special special, special forces.

Their stocks appear to be going steadily down since releasing their new stuff.

Quite the opposite.

https://www.ft.com/content/cd8bf2b8-020d-11ea-b7bc-f3fa4e77dd47

Shares have gone up quite a bit.  They are starting to diversify into animated film and have an Eisenhorn TV series in the works.

Remius said:
Quite the opposite.

Shares have gone up quite a bit.  They are starting to diversify into animated film and have an Eisenhorn TV series in the works.

Their IP is massive.  It was only a matter of time. With Kirby finally out at the top and isolated on the board of directors the "New GW" is able to shine.  And their army packs are actually discounted (wait I get a tank for free???) The best thing they ever did was hire that Belgian marketing director.

I downloaded Warhammer and will play it after not having played it in years.

Remius said:
Quite the opposite.

Didn't want to pay $1 to read the article but I checked my source and you're right. I took a back-bearing when reading the graph and got it backwards lol
Lots of what I've read online in forums and groups suggested WH40K were abandoning the franchise so I wrongly concluded.

They are starting to diversify into animated film and have an Eisenhorn TV series in the works.

I remember the last animated film they released in 2010 `Ultramarines'. Pretty underwealming.

There's some good fanmade stuff out there. Check this one out
https://youtu.be/TEtYJIx7WZw

Whoever did that animation understands small team tactics.

Jarnhamar said:
I remember the last animated film they released in 2010 `Ultramarines'. Pretty underwealming.

There's some good fanmade stuff out there. Check this one out
https://youtu.be/TEtYJIx7WZw

Whoever did that animation understands small team tactics.

Definitely some good stuff out there.  Ultramarines was terribad. But they learned a lot fro it.

This teaser shows what they are working on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OT1ye8LabGs

Not sure how up you are on the lore but some of the highlights are the upcoming Angels of Death movie, the anime style one is the whole Nightlords story arc after Curze gets assassinated and they chase the assassin. They kid style animation is along the lines of Teen Titans Go for a younger crowd. 

Eisenhorn is a live action series.  Likely 10 episodes with a game of thrones vibe to it.

related to the topic, I have noticed a resurgence in table top gaming in recent years. not just a growing 40k player base but other games such as Star Wars Armada, X-Wing, even Battletech has come back and is seeing a slowly growing player base. Anyone else noticing this trend?

MilEME09 said:
related to the topic, I have noticed a resurgence in table top gaming in recent years. not just a growing 40k player base but other games such as Star Wars Armada, X-Wing, even Battletech has come back and is seeing a slowly growing player base. Anyone else noticing this trend?

Yes, I have as well.

Back