• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

War taking unexpectedly harsh toll on vehicles

super26

Inactive
Reaction score
War taking unexpectedly harsh toll on vehicles
All LAV IIIs to be replaced within the year
GRAEME SMITH

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN — All of Canada's LAV III armoured vehicles in Afghanistan will need to be replaced within the next six to eight months, Canada's army chief told troops Monday, because hard fighting and harsh conditions are taking a greater toll than expected.

“We're going to replace them faster than we'd planned,” Lieutenant-General Andrew Leslie said of the vehicles that are the backbone of Canada's fighting force.

The army's fleet of available LAVs, however, is shrinking because 20 of the $3.5-million Light Armoured Vehicles have been destroyed and they're no longer manufactured. The remaining ones will have to be refurbished for service.

In an open-air forum with troops in Kandahar last night, the general responsible for all Canadian land forces also described maintenance issues with two other military vehicles that have forced the military to scramble for spare parts and look at replacing old tanks.

Related to this article

Enlarge Image
Articles
Afghanistan police to get RCMP help, Day pledges 
Game on! It's a hockey-heavy Easter for troops 
Pitched battles in Afghanistan 'unlikely' 
Hillier predicts renewed attacks 
The perils of sniffing out safety on Afghan roads 
Follow this writer
Add GRAEME SMITH to my e-mail alerts 
Latest Comments
" Asterix M from Canada writes: It feels like Canada always...
I noticed how the article said 'When Canada bought 75 of them...
"if the anti-american printing presses break down then you buy...
I love how this turns into a Harper hate-fest even though it...
33 reader comments | Join the conversation
Problems have cropped up with the new RG-31 Nyala, the commander said. When Canada bought 75 of them from South Africa last year, the vehicles didn't come with any guarantee that Canada could also buy sufficient spare parts.

“They break a hell of a lot faster than we thought,” he said.

But some of the worst problems described by the commander concerned the Leopard tanks sent to Afghanistan late last year. Canada has only 17 tanks on the battlefield, but they serve as a symbol of military power in districts where many people remain unsure about which side has more strength.

Lt.-Gen. Leslie said he hopes Stephen Harper will replace the old tanks, adding that he expects the Prime Minister's decision within about a week.

The Leopard tanks are 30 years old and are vulnerable to the increasingly powerful suicide bombs faced by Canadian troops, he said, and with temperatures climbing every day he expressed concern about how the tanks will handle the 55-degree heat.

“They're on their last legs,” he said.

Government researchers have been studying ways to prepare the tanks for summer, but the ideas — such as outfitting soldiers with cold-water cooling vests, or installing air-conditioning — would involve modifications to tanks the military had already planned to decommission four years ago.

“We're either going to replace them, or not,” Lt.-Gen. Leslie said. “If we replace them, thank God. If the decision is ‘No,' we'll suck it up, we'll come up with some workarounds, and we'll soldier on. Quite frankly, we'll see within the next week or so.”

The commander made the comments as he answered questions from soldiers, the majority of whom asked about vehicle issues. The forum came at the end of a visit by Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day, Treasury Board President Vic Toews, and Helena Guergis, secretary of state for foreign affairs, as they toured the Provincial Reconstruction Team's small base in Kandahar city.

Lt.-Gen. Leslie thanked the ministers for the support of their government, which last year approved the largest increase in military spending in decades. In some cases, he said, more money won't immediately solve the problems: The shortage of spare parts for the Nyala has been caused by high demand among the countries that operate the vehicles, and it's impossible to find enough parts.

“It's not a question of money,” he said. “There's a lack of widgets.”

But when the parts become available, Lt.-Gen. Leslie said, they will be expensive. Turning to Mr. Toews, from the Treasury Board, he said the government has promised to spend whatever is necessary.

“The minister's standing right here, and he said he'd pay the cheque. Did he not? He's nodding,” he said, jokingly.

Other supplements to the battered fleet of vehicles are already on their way to Afghanistan, he added. In addition to the 45 boxy, tracked M113 armoured vehicles that arrived on the last ship, he said, another 100 M113s will be prepared in the next six to eight months and shipped over.

Within the same time frame, the military also plans to buy another 85 heavily armoured trucks, adding to the 300 armoured trucks now in the final stages of the purchasing process.

Besides trying to replace equipment, the commander also told his troops that he needs their help to replace themselves. The next rotations of soldiers in Afghanistan will require trainers, he said, making an impassioned plea for troops to stay in the military after they return to Canada.

“I need you to come back,” he said. “When you're finished this tour, work with us to change the culture of the army, to pass along your combat experience and your practical wisdom.”

Please supply a link to the article.

Either great minds think/read alike, or fools seldom differ....  :)

Anyone have any idea how many of the 300 new trucks are slated for the sandbox?

If the Tanks and Lav's are going to need replacing maybe instead of buying Globemasters they should of put that money into replacing the tanks and Lav's.

I mean theres no point in owning heavy lift planes if you haven't anything heavy to lift.

nowhere_man said:
If the Tanks and Lav's are going to need replacing maybe instead of buying Globemasters they should of put that money into replacing the tanks and Lav's.

I mean theres no point in owning heavy lift planes if you haven't anything heavy to lift.

Conversely, one could argue "there is no point in owning anything heavy if you haven't any heavy lift planes".

To each of those arguments, I would point out that there is a real requirement for tanks, LAVs and the Globemaster.  It isn't as simple as "pick one" when all 3 are vital to current operations, training and the ability to do the job.

So, ya, IMHO, we need all those, and probably more too.

MRM

So please tell me why this is an unexpected turn of events...I remember asking about replacements for the LAV's as soon as the mission was annouced.

Now the Tank issue I can understand and the part supply for the Nayla's. But for the LAV's it was clear that we were going to wear them out. Likely they will replace them with the LAV IV fitted with a turret ring and reuse the turrets?

Read what LGen Leslie said about the tanks, folks:

"We're either going to replace them, or not," Lt.-Gen. Leslie said. "If we replace them, thank God. If the decision is 'No,' we'll suck it up, we'll come up with some workarounds, and we'll soldier on. Quite frankly, we'll see within the next week or so."

The CLS is saying that there's a plan to replace Canada's main battle tank, and that that plan will be approved or not this week.

That's big news.

And to those who wonder where the money will come from, note that we're cancelling the MGS purchase with only about $16M in total costs incurred, which leaves about $634M in already-allocated money to find another tank replacement.

What can you buy with over $600M?

Last summer, when this issue originally came up, I sent an email to the MND regarding there being an opportunity for Canada to tag onto the last production run of the LAVIII. I received an email back essentially poo pooing the need for any more LAV's and that we had purchased enough and no more would be needed  to meet out needs. Go figure.....

Adding absolutely nothing of value to this thread......

Nice illustration with the article; how long have we been tying antennae to the back deck?  ;D

GAP said:
Last summer, when this issue originally came up, I sent an email to the MND regarding there being an opportunity for Canada to tag onto the last production run of the LAVIII. I received an email back essentially poo pooing the need for any more LAV's and that we had purchased enough and no more would be needed  to meet out needs. Go figure.....

"I'm a bureaucrat....I know better than you right up to the point my incompetence is exposed at which point I look for a scapegoat."

Matthew.  :blotto:

Babbling Brooks said:
Read what LGen Leslie said about the tanks, folks:

The CLS is saying that there's a plan to replace Canada's main battle tank, and that that plan will be approved or not this week.

That's big news.

And to those who wonder where the money will come from, note that we're cancelling the MGS purchase with only about $16M in total costs incurred, which leaves about $634M in already-allocated money to find another tank replacement.

What can you buy with over $600M?

Was there not a bit of a fire sale over in Germany a couple of  months back? $600M goes a long way for a bunch of slightly used and abused tanks.

Here's the CTV Article and Video interview with Gen Leslie
Video Link
Canada to accelerate rebuilding of LAV-3 vehicles
Updated Tue. Apr. 3 2007 8:25 AM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

The Canadian army is speeding up the rebuilding of LAV-3 armoured vehicles that have been pummelled by heavy fighting and Afghanistan's harsh terrain.

Lt.-Gen. Andrew Leslie confirmed that most of the army's fleet of light armoured vehicles, which are repaired at a plant in Edmonton, will be serviced within the next six to eight months.

"The equipment is being hard-used," Leslie told Canada AM on Tuesday. "The Canadian army has about 600 of these light armoured vehicles and every 12 months or so we have to replace the stock. The current fleet is (already) getting to the stage where we have to think about shifting them around."

CTV's Paul Workman reported Tuesday from Kandahar that 20 of the $3.5-million vehicles have been destroyed and cannot be replaced.

"The difficulty is that this vehicle is no longer manufactured and it's really the backbone of the vehicles the Canadian Forces use here," said Workman.
More on link

Was there not a bit of a fire sale over in Germany a couple of  months back? $600M goes a long way for a bunch of slightly used and abused tanks.

If I were a betting man, I'd be looking not only at the Germans, but at which other countries might be in the same position as Germany...

In my opinion the reporting of this story is all over the map. Apples, oranges and ash trays are being mixed willy nilly, primarily by journalists who are not in country. I have heard several widely varying versions of events on the same news outlet(s) in a matter of a few hours. The most coherent explanation was from a CTV reporter (Roger Smith?) who is travelling with the party. The CTV Newsnet host this morning launched into a long explanation which missed all the points; Smith? refuted her and explained that there is a LAV rebuild program on in Canada, along with some facts re the tanks and RG31s.

Leslie is talking about returning LAVs to Canada for rebuild, something that is a normal part of the life cycle of armoured vehicles. He is not saying we have to replace them, although in my opinion it would be nice to have some more.

The RG31s have a spare parts supply problem, something that all users are having to cope with.

As for the Leopards, it is clear he hopes to receive approval to buy some new(er) tanks. If this is not forthcoming, as he says, we'll soldier on.

This story, which should be straight forward, is being further complicated because of the deployment of some more M113s to theatre, Some people are interpreting this as a replacement of the LAVs by them.

Rant ends.

I wonder if the M113’s coming over are the Engineering versions, which would be quite useful.

According to one source the New Leos have been approved ( for lease ) so that will surely help out.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terror/2007/04/03/3906930-cp.html

CP exclusive: Canada to lease new tanks for Afghanistan

By MURRAY BREWSTER

OTTAWA (CP) - A federal cabinet committee has given the green light to the lease of 20 state-of-the-art tanks to replace aging armoured vehicles in Afghanistan, The Canadian Press has learned.

The cabinet priorities and planning committee approved the lease of the German-built Leopard A6M tanks last week, said a Defence Department source, who asked not to be named.

The recommendation, which is unlikely to be overturned, is now on Prime Minister Stephen Harper's desk for final approval.

The news Tuesday came as Gen. Andrew Leslie, the country's top army officer, said he might have to consider pulling existing tanks - which don't have air conditioning - out of service in Afghanistan this summer because of the heat.

He also told troops in Kandahar to expect a decision from the prime minister on the new tanks within a week.

The new tanks have air conditioning, as well as improved protection against road-side bombs and suicide vehicles, both of which have been packing progressively bigger punches lately.

The army has a handful of older Leopard tanks, which are currently doing duty in western Kandahar as part of NATO's Operation Achilles.

The deal, which apparently includes access to ample spare parts, also gives Canada the option to purchase an unspecified number of additional tanks at a later date.

Reports last winter suggested that in addition to a lease, the army wanted to purchase 80 new Leopards, but the source said that number is likely to be scaled back.

Harper wouldn't bite on questions about the future of the vehicles.

"Cabinet has been discussing the tank issue and we'll have an announcement on that shortly," he said in Kitchener, Ont.

Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor, in Montreal for a speech, said he wasn't aware the issue was resolved.

A Defence Department spokesman didn't deny that a lease arrangement has been struck.

"We are exploring a number of options to address an operational requirement," said Lt. Adam Thomson. "However, we have nothing to announce at this moment."

The defence source could not say how much the arrangement was worth, but brand new Leopard tanks cost roughly US $6 million each.

Currently, the army has 17 of its old 45-tonne tanks patrolling the desert and dirt roadways of rural Kandahar. The biggest drawback to the vehicles is their lack of air conditioning in a climate where daytime summer temperatures soar above 50C.

Defence Department researchers have looked at installing air conditioners in the vehicles but that would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per vehicle.

Another idea proposes to give tank crew cooling vests - the same kind used by professional race car drivers - but they would be cumbersome when layered along with existing body armour.

Aside from the comfort factor, the lease of new tanks is seen as a more cost-effective solution, said the defence source.

Alex Morrison of the Canadian Institute of Strategic Studies said buying new equipment is better than retrofitting.

"It just makes more sense," he said. "This is a decision that's been in the mill for at least the last seven months."

New Democrat defence critic Dawn Black said she's not opposed to the lease arrangement, but only because it means tank crews won't have to roast.

"I think it was irresponsible to deploy them, knowing they weren't suitable for the climate," she said.

In February, a policy think-tank produced a report that criticized Canada's deployment of tanks to Afghanistan, saying the 1970s vintage Leopard-C2 vehicles were vulnerable to insurgent attacks.

Researcher Michael Wallace, of the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, argued that new Leopard A6Ms would also be vulnerable to road-side bombs and rocket-propelled grenades. He said the introduction of tanks had the potential to spark an "arms race" with insurgents, prompting the Taliban to build bigger bombs.

Morrison dismissed the arguments, calling them ridiculous.

"What would they have us do?" he asked. "Take the tanks home and then the insurgents won't use whatever weapon they have? What will happen in the end is the insurgents would control the whole country."

nowhere_man said:

I hope that in reading the rest of this topic, you have seen the error in you logic.

Are we still relaying them using the Antanovs?

I believe that  when he talked about replacing the LAVs in Afghanistan, his intent was to replace them with LAVs from Canada, not purchase brand new vehicles.  They would come back to Edmonton and be worked on.  And when their replacements needed to be worked on the cycle would repeat itself.  People are jumping the gun with all this replace the LAV hype.  
From experiance with the LAV in Afghanistan, I can say that there is no better killer of the enemy in theater.  It saves lives of Canadians, and takes those of the enemy.  It is by no means ready to be retired or replaced with a new vehicle, and to suugest otherwise would be foolhardy.  It is the most capable vehicle in the fleet.
The Nyala has its own and different role, for which it is well suited.  Sure, spare parts are an issue, but so are spare soldiers as replacements.  
As for M113s to theater, right out of 'er.  The LAV and tank combined effort is more than enough.  Then we have to stgart with dealing with spare parts for other veh.  

Forget this media garbage, lets just kill more jundis!!!

Kiwi out!

Back