• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Want to be an officer but your grades aren't good enough?

munky99999

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
So you went down to the recruiting office with your transcript to find out that your grades aren’t good enough for the RMC. However you feel you are smart enough to obtain a degree but those ruddy high school marks are holding you back? Look no further I have just what you are looking for!!!

http://www.athabascau.ca/

Our Admissions policy allows admission to the University and registration in a course (except where a pre-requisite is needed) that is not based on prior academic achievement.

This is distance education and they don’t look at prior marks.</Ramble>

PS.I don’t have any sort of association with these people. I’m not advertising for them or anything of the sort.

I have heard of this University before.  My step-mother thought this would be a good idea for me to pick up some extra courses because many times I am unable to put time aside to attend University during normal school hours.  I would highly suggest this for many people as I have heard good reviews.

munky99999 said:
So you went down to the recruiting office with your transcript to find out that your grades aren’t good enough for the RMC. However you feel you are smart enough to obtain a degree but those ruddy high school marks are holding you back? Look no further I have just what you are looking for!!!

http://www.athabascau.ca/

This is distance education and they don’t look at prior marks. This is exactly what I have been searching for. I find myself a couple % lower then the average because of this very awkward Neo-Nazi situation where my teacher started to believe I was one.</Ramble>

PS.I don’t have any sort of association with these people. I’m not advertising for them or anything of the sort.

What the hell are you talking about??

Athabaska University is an accredited distance learning facility, which bestows recognized degrees - I have a BAdm  from them, and it wasn't easy.

What's with this "Nazi" crap??  How does your lifestyle and political beliefs (or others perception thereof) relate to the institution in question??

I think that perhaps your grades weren't "good enough" for a reason.

Edit: Spelling.

I don't think he was knocking the school Roy, merely reccomending it for people who couldn't get into RMC or ROTP because of their highschool marks.

I think the Nazi thing was somehow related to his highschool teacher.

I've got a lot of friends who pick up intersession credits through Athabaska, heard good things.

Che said:
I don't think he was knocking the school Roy, merely reccomending it for people who couldn't get into RMC or ROTP because of their highschool marks.

I think the Nazi thing was somehow related to his highschool teacher.

I've got a lot of friends who pick up intersession credits through Athabaska, heard good things.

You may be right - however, what you and I think about his intent will remain speculation because of munky99999's lack of clarity in the original post.  This obvious lack of communication skills supports my original opinion - his grades weren't "good enough" for a reason.

Roy Harding said:
You may be right - however, what you and I think about his intent will remain speculation because of munky99999's lack of clarity in the original post.  This obvious lack of communication skills supports my original opinion - his grades weren't "good enough" for a reason.

Roy, he's a clown, dont wate your precious time.

Don't go to Asthabasca U just because it's a solution to crappy grades. AU is still a university, and although it's not the best school in Canada, it's not going to be a cake-walk either. But if you really want to be an officer, try AU. See what happens... you never know.

Even if you had less than stellar grades in high school what makes you think you would do any better in University? Lets not forget that these are University courses that where originally intended for people who excelled in high school. If I where to take a University English course and I just barely passed my high school English by the skin on my teeth, what are the chances of doing any better? Especially considering that high school academic English is meant as a catalyst to more advanced post-secondary education.

My two cents.

Hey

if you can't get into Carleton University....  then
you really have to have crappy grades.

I went to last chance university and my grades were POOR.

Take Inspir's advice. Most people have a first year university average 10% lower than their final year of high school. I went to RMC and then University College at the University of Toronto, and they were worlds apart from high school.

I agree with the above re. Athabasca U. is not a cakewalk.  I took some courses once upon a time and found that you had to be supremely disciplined to complete them and do well.  If you could not do so in high school, then good luck when doing a university course entirely away from a regular school setting.  Carleton as Last Chance U. ... except for Journalism, so I hear.

aesop081 said:
Roy, he's a clown, dont wate your precious time.

Aesop: 

You're right.  I usually ignore these folks, but once in a while (usually when beer is involved), my buttons get pushed and I react.

I regret my reaction now - not because I was wrong, but because I wasted my time reacting to a "clown".

Roy,

If you don't mind me asking. How long did it take you to finish your degree?

Inspir said:
Roy,

If you don't mind me asking. How long did it take you to finish your degree?

It's embarrassing to admit, but it took me ten years.

Those ten years were filled with four Yugo tours, and an Afghanistan deployment - so I guess that's not so bad after all.

The folks at Athabaska University were outstanding when it came to deployments (giving extensions, excusals, etcetera) - they were also very helpful regarding credits for "real world" experience.

I'd recommend them for anyone interested in "improving" themselves academically.

As a somewhat ironic aside, note that although I have a BAdm from AU, I am currently employed as a Cabinet Maker, using skills I learned at NAIT (Northern Alberta Institute of Technology).

Life is what you make of it, and all knowledge is good - go get some - you won't regret it.

Roy,

Well done! You have demonstrated what a motivated person can do. Way to go.

I can relate to how long it takes to accomplish a degree when work is involved.

Couple of Points:

1) Education, no matter what the venue, is always a valuable thing.

2) I've always heard good things about the school being discussed.

3) As an Officer, low on my list of concerns would be your high-school grades. Let's talk about what being an Officer is really about.

4) If you have the character and will, consider doing some time in the ranks. I have often found that UT / CFRs are some of the best Officers that we have.

2.5 cents worth on this one.

Just to add to that, they also make some of the worst (usually the ones that UT/CFR before they reach Cpl.).

Ack WRT the last comment.

My intent was to address seasoned UT / CFRs.

As for the junior Cpl types who UT, the weeding of appropriate candidates is a Chain of Command responsibility.

Cheers

NL_engineer said:
Just to add to that, they also make some of the worst (usually the ones that UT/CFR before they reach Cpl.).

CFR is for outstanding MCpl and above.........

Back