• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

My brother ran into one of these morons on a construction site in Calgary. The first time he told it, he had recieved several medals for his combat service in Afghanistan. Later that day he was telling it to a different group in the coffee room, and someone called him out. First it turned into, "well I was going to go to Afghanistan, but I got injured," and eventually it just became, "at one time I considered joining the Canadian Forces"

I wasn't there, but I have to admit I think there might have been something a little bit off with this fella.

I recall my primary flight training in Portage when one of my fellow students insisted we call him "Trigger" because of an incident that happened when he was on OJT in Cold Lake.

Suposedly he's been in the back seat and was given control of the targetting systems and locked on to a commercial airliner.  Sure, that happened, right in the middle of the Cold Lake weapons range where the airspace goes up to 60,000'.  ::)

Strike said:
I recall my primary flight training in Portage when one of my fellow students insisted we call him "Trigger" because of an incident that happened when he was on OJT in Cold Lake.

Suposedly he's been in the back seat and was given control of the targetting systems and locked on to a commercial airliner.  Sure, that happened, right in the middle of the Cold Lake weapons range where the airspace goes up to 60,000'.  ::)

let me just say that i'm not the "trigger" in question here  ;D

trigger324 said:
let me just say that i'm not the "trigger" in question here

Oh, no worries.  If you were you'd have been spouting off more war stories than your non-operational career would allow.  ;D

"Trigger" eh?
Sounds like a 'one-pump chump' who needed a war-story to explain why the girls were calling him that  >:D

Journeyman said:
"Trigger" eh?
Sounds like a 'one-pump chump' who needed a war-story to explain why the girls were calling him that  >:D
DING DING DING

We have a winner!

(No, Journeyman isn't a poser, but his response is classic!)

:salute:

i am now working construction for a company in Ottawa. Anyways we had this day  labourer worng for us.
He told he  was recruited by  the army...not sure what  army  but he came froma long line of  military  men.
He told me he was asked to join the special forces because of his special skills. He said no because he did not want to go and die in a foreign land. He also told us he could never get his  heavy equipment papers because he did too many  drugs and could never pass the pee pee test.  He was in his 40s and  said that his younger years keep haunting him.

Another clown back home in Renfrew, told everyone at the bar he was joining the army because they  wanted him to join because they  heard he was the toughest guy  around and the army  needed tough guys to send over seas to kill the bad guys.  The catch was he made a deal he could keep his long hair ( we are talking past the shoulder long hair)  hehad to fight the Sgt to keep his hair and he won...what special rules they  make for freaks of nature

It has been my experience that the real tough guys never feel the need to tell people how tough they are. And I would add there rarely is any doubt about their toughness in the eye of the beholder.

Even though these guys are Walts, I take it as a bit of a complement.  After all, they find it worthy to pretend to be one of us.  So, let them have their day in conversation.  If they try to get special treatment because of it, then draw the line.  If they are trying to impress at work, or are trying to get laid, or whatever, then hey, live and let live.  After all, those of us who know better, well, we know better!

But they are still Walts!

Danjanou said:
Don't be selfish share him around Kiwi.  >:D

Haha, I might just have to do that.

Some more interesting details of his colourful career for you folks:

The incident where he was shot occurred when he got out of a hummvee somewhere in Afghanistan.  As the story goes a 13 year old boy with an AK-47 shot him twice on the right side of his chest/abdomen.  He then proceeded to shoot his attacker and managed to steel himself against the pain and get back inside the vehicle.

From there he went to Kandahar (he did actually drop that name so it slightly threw me off that he knew a little of the local geography) and underwent surgery.  A month or so of recuperation and he was back to work.

He admitted that he had been dishonourably discharged for disobeying orders.  As the story goes he was working closely with US troops and they had been ordered to complete a particular task.  They then ordered the Canadian troops to do it instead of them (due to its dangerous nature) and when he refused he got kicked out.

All in all he served a non-stop 16th month tour in Afghanistan (apparently that's the normal length of time you chaps do over there).

The thing that bothers me about all this is can be summed up in this statement:

Kiwi: “Would you ever consider rejoining?  Maybe as another trade?”

Corey: “No, I've already taken two bullets for my country.  I've got to think about my kids”

How F**KED is that?  Not content with simply making up pretend war stories he gets on his high horse about how he's made sacrifices for his country and got treated badly by the military in return.

Just to further exemplify this fine behaviour with a dash of hypocrisy: On the bus ride home from the work site he introduced me to a neighbour of his who happened to be riding the bus at the same time.  They started talking about the neighbour's brother who Corey dislikes due to the fact that he lies about going to jail and the crimes he's committed.  As you can imagine, it was hard to keep a straight face when I heard this.

I'd be able to let it go at simply having nothing to do with the guy but he told me that he'd gained a job working as security at a nightclub due to his military service.  I'm going to have a chat with the guy who runs the labour company we work for and ask whether Corey has mentioned military service to him and warn him that all may not be as it seems. 

If I do get a chance to present our 'walt of the hour' with the reference material I've printed off I'll give you all an update.  Hilarity should ensue.

I have to feel sorry for these people. They need to make up stories so their lives seem more than what they have. I have come across several of these people. I usually listen and acknowledge their fantasies. If it makes them feel better about them selves what do I care. I know what I've done and I know what a REAL Vet has done. One thing I have noticed is the real deal doesn't usually just start bragging about what they have done. In a lot of cases the folks that have "been there, done that" don't spout off unless it's in a mess then, the flys open up.

Sometimes it's just good entertainment to listen. Besides it passes the time if there is nothing much going on!

Is it right, hell no, but is it fun watching them make fools of themselves!

Kiwi said:
The incident where he was shot occurred when he got out of a hummvee somewhere in Afghanistan.  As the story goes a 13 year old boy with an AK-47 shot him twice on the right side of his chest/abdomen.  He then proceeded to shoot his attacker and managed to steel himself against the pain and get back inside the vehicle.

From there he went to Kandahar (he did actually drop that name so it slightly threw me off that he knew a little of the local geography) and underwent surgery.  A month or so of recuperation and he was back to work.

Do you know if he performed the surgery himself,  perhaps with his bayonet and the needle and thread in his "housewife" ? 

Kiwi,

I live in West Kelowna (across the bridge). In July I saw a fairly young guy wearing a one stripe CF uniform with Admin Badges, cloth unit identifier on the epaulet (can't remember what it read, 1 1/2 wide) white gloves. I cannot remember his name tag. As I was going into that same retail store, I went looking form him as my wife shopped. Found him in sporting goods with his tunic jacket off, tie undone. 

I challenged him on wearing an old CF uniform, wearing it incorrectly, etc, etc. He gave me the story how he is authorized, wounded veteran,  he was assisting the local Legion with a Vets funeral, etc, etc. This is all in front of the store staff. I showed him my NDI 75 Record of service card, and told him very firmly he is not authorized to wear the uniform.

I went to the local RCMP who refused to take a report and I made an issue of it at the local Legion. The RCMP said he was probably unstable and to be careful approaching him.

Have not seen him again. Did I prevent him from wearing the uniform? Most probably not. I was not home on 11 Nov, so have no idea if he turned up.

Just my experience.

Technoviking said:
(No, Journeyman isn't a poser......)
Well, occasionally I try to pass myself off as someone who's shy, humble, non-opinionated...

...but I usually get called on it.  ;D

My favorite thing to ask guys like that is simply what was their call sign? Its pretty good some of the responses you get ;)

Shec said:
Do you know if he performed the surgery himself,  perhaps with his bayonet and the needle and thread in his "housewife" ?

He's not some kind of supersoldier, y'know.  I stitched him up while he drove us back to KAF, full blackout and no NVGs.

Way way back in the 70's and early 80's, I myself was a reservist HF of C.  I had progressed to the point where during the winter of '81 I  volunteered for a back fill position with 1 RCR for their annual Norway excursion.  It was a 3 month class b posting and CFB London being so close I usually came home if we had the weekend off.  I had been out with some high school buddies and had a few too many wobbley pops so we took the local public transportation home.  When to my suprise in the bus terminal in downtown Kitchener I run into 2 individuals from my unit who had recently completed GMT, ( that's what we called BMQ back then) dressed in old OD combats complete with web gear and knives.  Atop their respective heads Balmorals (sic?) avec cap badges and hackles.  But what was suprising was that upon their epulates one wore Full Col bars while the other had L/Col bars.  They were making lewd comments to passing young ladies, and generally showing their arses.  I quietly walked up behind them and yelled their names.  Reflexively they came to attention and I publically jacked them up and questioned their sanity and integrity.  Informing them that they had best be prepared to answer for their actions.  I brought this to the attention of the unit on individual never showed up to face the charges and was never seen around the armoury again.  The other did 8 months later after I ran into him again and asked him about it.  He hemmed and hawed but I convinced him to be a man and if he had a pair to face the music take your licks and carry on.  Suprisingly enough he showed up and faced the charges.  I do not recall the punishment but it involved alot of extra duties on range weekends at Ipperwash. 

Back