• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

I'd be tempted to ask which he spent more time shining - his boots or his tin foil hat?  :nod:

Ask him if his military service was on Call of Duty 4. He probably thought that the game was the real thing..  :p  Like receeguy said- run away!

He obviously has a wild imagination.. but no actual military experience.  That part should be obvious.

I worked with an older guy a few years back and when I mentioned I was in the military, he told me he was in JTF2 back in the 70's....  I left it at that...  ::)

Xiang said:
He obviously has a wild imagination.. but no actual military experience.  That part should be obvious.

I worked with an older guy a few years back and when I mentioned I was in the military, he told me he was in JTF2 back in the 70's....  I left it at that...  ::)

You mean like another comic-book kid who once told me that when he was in the 12th Manitoba Dragoons during the 1950's  the milita regiment was tank mounted armoured airborne, jumping with  Sherman tanks from C-119 Flying Boxcars.

Yea, along the lines of the super secret ninjasnipercommandojtf2csorrambo

Some jerks need to be exposed as the frauds they are, but in your case I think you should smile and enjoy the "war stories". Then proceed to post them here.

but in your case I think you should smile and enjoy the "war stories". Then proceed to post them here.

Or in this case, try to 1up his stories, just to see how far he will take his next one ;)

I served with Corey (not his real name, for PERSEC reasons, of course) in the IA Drang Valley of Afghanistan.

We were both wounded in the same engagement, the capture of Mullah Mohammed Omar.  I was shot in the head and died but he was able to save me.  Later, while carrying me up a rock face to the waiting rescue EH 101, he was shot from (in his) behind.  The round exited out his moth, hitting the rotor retainer nut on the last remaining Canadian EH 101, which then crashed on the rocky outcrop above us.  We were able to fight off the Taliban by fashioning swords and spears from the scraps of chopper wreckage until we were Sky Hooked off the ledge by the 160th SOAR and flown direct to Dwyer Hill.

I wouldn't mess with "Corey".

Haggis said:
I served with Corey (not his real name, for PERSEC reasons, of course) in the IA Drang Valley of Afghanistan.

We were both wounded in the same engagement, the capture of Mullah Mohammed Omar.  I was shot in the head and died but he was able to save me.  Later, while carrying me up a rock face to the waiting rescue EH 101, he was shot from (in his) behind.  The round exited out his moth, hitting the rotor retainer nut on the last remaining Canadian EH 101, which then crashed on the rocky outcrop above us.  We were able to fight off the Taliban by fashioning swords and spears from the scraps of chopper wreckage until we were Sky Hooked off the ledge by the 160th SOAR and flown direct to Dwyer Hill.

I wouldn't mess with "Corey".

Wimps.  Back in the day, we used our bare hands.

I had a cab driver in Barrie telling me one evening about his experience as a Tank Driver with the Canadian Armoured Engineer Division in Vietnam in 1969. I loved the story and just kept asking him about it until he dropped me off. It was good  entertainment for the drive between Barrie and Borden.

I've met a few guys online who have had 'false' military experience and just shrug it off. I've also met people in real life who took a Reserve BMQ course and then quit so they are on the same level as me with military 'coolness' in civi-land. This guy must have some sort of mental disability(joking aside) because to make a claim that preposterous, he must have some underlying mental or social problems.

Sonnyjim said:
This guy must have some sort of mental disability(joking aside) because to make a claim that preposterous, he must have some underlying mental or social problems.

It's diagnosed as an intense lack of self esteem complicated by a predeliction to bovine scatology.

Don't run, guys like this must be cultivated,. Befriend him , encourage him, and then causally drag him out for drinks somewhere that real BTDTs can be found such as army.ca M&Gs. Make sure we all know in advance he is coming so we can prepare suitable questions.

Don't be selfish share him around Kiwi.  >:D

Edit for mong spelling/typos

When it comes to "BS-ing about Military Service" it's not always limited to civilian wannabes but has occurred with serving and former serving members as well. Outing these types is even sweeter. I remember a former reservist who told everyone at a veterans club he was a former member of 1 RCR only to turnout that he was attached to 1 RCR for a couple of weeks for a fall ex. He also claimed to have been trained by The RCR Battleschool for TQ3 before it actually was in operation. He sure had a funny look on his face when I told him I didn't remember him as I was a member of 1 RCR at the time he claimed to have been there.  His beer sure was finished quickly before a fast departure.

dapaterson said:
Wimps.  Back in the day, we used our bare hands.

Yeah, well our hands were burned to the bone in the chopper fire.  We had no choice but to use the chopper as a weapon.

I use to run into alot of these types back in the early 90s when I was kinetic energy sniper with the JTF4 (the guys JTF2 call for when the "shit" gets too deep) and I found that they we're just misunderstood and desperately searching for acceptance, a warm brotherly hug usually help sort them out!  ::)

Gramps said:
I had a cab driver in Barrie telling me one evening about his experience as a Tank Driver with the Canadian Armoured Engineer Division in Vietnam in 1969. I loved the story and just kept asking him about it until he dropped me off. It was good  entertainment for the drive between Barrie and Borden.

I didn't know Cookie was drivin' cab in Ontario.

;D

Teflon said:
I use to run into alot of these types back in the early 90s when I was kinetic energy sniper with the JTF4 (the guys JTF2 call for when the "crap" gets too deep) and I found that they we're just misunderstood and desperately searching for acceptance, a warm brotherly hug usually help sort them out!  ::)

Teflon, I'm buyin' everything else you said....except the "hug" part.  C'mon.  Get real.

There were 2 of them in my Squad in Cornwallis - both ex-Reservists, one louder mouthed than the other.  One had apparently been to Cyprus just recently before his CT, but couldn't tell me which unit he'd been with much less what part of the country he worked (it was 3 VP there at the time).  He even claimed to have worked for a platoon warrant that had a confirmed kill from each of his previous 3 tours there (couldn't verify that one).  He was working on his 4th recourse when we graduated...the other claimed to have done a stint in the IDF Golani Brigade and had some interesting stories from Lebanon and the West Bank - until we got ahold of his carelessly left out security clearance form which said he'd never even left the country, much less served wth a foreign military.  Being he was also only 19 sort of led us to put 2 and 2 together.  One of the quick witted ones in our squad dubbed him  a "GI Jew".

BTW, I'm not slamming ex-Reservists.  I am one myself, as were several other guys I was in Basic with.  We just kept our mouths generally shut most of the time....

MM

Back