• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

And then there was the Canadian LCol with SAS wings (worn on a British DPM arctic smock, while in combats) who was very vague when I asked him about his times on selection. I should have asked him about the boathouse but was too fascinated by the BS to think fast enough. It's just sad....

Question for a submariner:

An (allegedly) ex-Navy coworker was telling me tales of spending two weeks in a sub (he was normally a surface guy) -after which it was necessary to spend time in a decompression chamber AND not be exposed to white light for a couple of days.

I know jack about subs although I was under the impression they do surface from time to time (at places were there are no decompression chambers).

Am I correct in my assumption that my intelligence was being horribly insulted ? Wait -lemme rephrase that...

He was BS'ing, right ? 

I'm no submariner, but I can't think of any reason he'd need to go to a recompression chamber unless the boat sank and they had to do an escape...

But I'm just an ex-dive PA.

MM

Bass ackwards said:
He was BS'ing, right ?

I'm not a submariner, but I have been related to some of them.  Yup, he was BS'ing you, on both points.

medicineman said:
I'm no submariner, but I can't think of any reason he'd need to go to a recompression chamber unless the boat sank and they had to do an escape...

But I'm just an ex-dive PA.

MM

Thanks, mm. He never said anything about the boat sinking (although they're supposed to do that aren't they ...?  :))

REcompression chamber ? Did they change the name or have I been reading it wrong all these years ?

Edit:
Thanks also, Michael O.
I kinda thought things were going downhill when he said he'd never heard of sailors having to wear green uniforms (even though he left in '89) and had no clue what I was talking about when I mentioned to him that the RCN was getting its name back (which was what started the whole conversation). 

I am a submariner and, yes, I'd definitely call BS on that!  Incidentally, Bass,  there is such a thing as a decompression chamber - but it has a different purpose.  It's used by surface supplied divers to make decomp stops and is a submersible hyperbaric unit - "hard hat" commercial divers and the like use them.  Recompression units are the ones ( like the one over in Shearwater) that are used for treating decompression sickness.  Semantics, really.  Both are hyperbaric units.

Reminds me of when I was a kid. A guy told me he was so tall he had to sleep in the torpedo tubes.  :)

Never heard of anyone sleeping in the tubes before! Funny enough though, sleeping in the torpedo racks is actually common - there's no bunks allocated for training.  I did, however, sail with a guy who cut the door out of his locker (at the top of his rack) and slept with his head in it.

Technoviking said:
Or, he got mature, and is now a reasonably fine leader of troops.

Some people do grow up............i look at a guy who did every morning when i shave.

Towards_the_gap said:
In his left hand was a C6 BFA, in his right was a 9mm pistol.

I fell for that as a new Sapper at 2 CER.........

Meh those ppl exhist everywhere not just here in Canada and not just military.  I see it as a need for attention or constantly needing to feel like everyone sees you as more superior than anyone else.  I call it chronic liar syndrome myself but that's just me.  I can't stand bein lied to, one of my biggest pet peeves.  Some stories can be entertaining but when they go out of their way to try and make you feel low about yourself by having to 1up you it's aggravating...

-T.

Fotoshark said:
Meh those ppl exhist everywhere not just here in Canada and not just military.  I see it as a need for attention or constantly needing to feel like everyone sees you as more superior than anyone else.  I call it chronic liar syndrome myself but that's just me.  I can't stand bein lied to, one of my biggest pet peeves.  Some stories can be entertaining but when they go out of their way to try and make you feel low about yourself by having to 1up you it's aggravating...

-T.

Please use proper spelling and spell check......

MILNET.CA MENTOR

Journeyman said:

I had the proper spelling, it's the iPod touch's "auto correct" spelling crap.  Sometimes I catch it before it changes things sometimes I don't.  Surprisingly they have many websites displaying how 'different' it's results for auto correcting are... Lol

-T.

Fotoshark said:
I had the proper spelling, it's the iPod touch's "auto correct" spelling crap.  Sometimes I catch it before it changes things sometimes I don't.  Surprisingly they have many websites displaying how 'different' it's results for auto correcting are... Lol

-T.

You can turn off the "auto-correct" function.

Pusser said:
You can turn off the "auto-correct" function.

Well aware of that, it has other advantages.  As I said, sometimes I catch it before, and sometimes I miss it.  Only human, and every human makes mistakes.

- T.

Fotoshark said:
  Surprisingly they have many websites displaying how 'different' it's results for auto correcting are... Lol

-T.

Please use proper spelling and spell check.

Regards,

milnet.ca reader  ;D

Fotoshark said:
Well aware of that, it has other advantages.  As I said, sometimes I catch it before, and sometimes I miss it.  Only human, and every human makes mistakes.

- T.

While we understand that everyone makes mistakes, once they have been pointed out then it behooves us to make an effort to correct said mistakes. Not to mention you can edit your posts for up til 24 hours. Make the effort.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Ex-Dragoon said:
While we understand that everyone makes mistakes, once they have been pointed out then it behooves us to make an effort to correct said mistakes. Not to mention you can edit your posts for up til 24 hours. Make the effort.

Milnet.Ca Staff

That and "u" instead of "you" is not an auto-correct problem.

Back