• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

AmmoTech90 said:
It's only illegal if it is likely to be mistaken for an award that was earned for war service.  Diamond jubilee doesn't fit that criteria.

(b) wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds received or service performed in war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services, or any imitation thereof, or any mark or device or thing that is likely to be mistaken for any such mark, medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or order

The highlighted section covers non-war service military awards.

cupper said:
The highlighted section covers non-war service military awards.

Rogers comma time:
war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services,

The highlighted comma separates clauses.  Because there is no comma before the second and third ors the preceding description of medal, ribbon, badge and chevrons falls in with decoration or order for war services.

Here we go again.......not sure if this has been posted yet or not. 

"Man arrested for impersonating a soldier at 3 Remembrance Day events"

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-arrested-for-impersonating-a-soldier-at-3-remembrance-day-events-1.2120254#ixzz3KCRqFWq2

George Wallace said:
Nope.  That is a new one.  They are really come out of he woodwork this year.

Despite what some people think there is more goodwill and respect for CF members these days.  Support like this hasn't been this high in a long time.  I'm not surprised that some lowlifes are trying to cash in on it.

No different than scammers "raising money" for "in" causes and tragedies of the day.  It's an abuse of trust.  The real victims in all of this are the clueless public who really just want to thank veterans and serving members.  Glad we're seeing more arrests for this stuff.

DAA said:
Here we go again.......not sure if this has been posted yet or not. 

"Man arrested for impersonating a soldier at 3 Remembrance Day events"

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-arrested-for-impersonating-a-soldier-at-3-remembrance-day-events-1.2120254#ixzz3KCRqFWq2

I wonder if this is him?

George Wallace said:
Nope.  That is a new one.  They are really come out of he woodwork this year.

Isn't there an old wives tale about the more Walts that show up, the harsher the winter will be?

Non-CF related, but I came across this today and had to laugh at least a little at some of the replies to the questions :)

http://youtu.be/e9TlpNkVJcQ

Military discount on Black Friday...I can see the temptation, but the adacity of some people is shocking.

Once bitten, twice shy ....
The federal government is probing how current and retired soldiers are invited to citizenship ceremonies after a Hamilton man who welcomed new Canadians was exposed as a false war veteran.

"We are reviewing the process of inviting (Canadian Forces) members and veterans to citizenship ceremonies, but remain deeply appreciative of the role CAF members and veterans play in welcoming new citizens to the Canadian family," Remi Lariviere, Citizenship and Immigration Canada spokesperson, said in an email.

In addition to debunking Donald Lemmond's claims of U.S. army service, The Spectator has learned his story of Canadian military service is wildly exaggerated.

Lemmond, who has masqueraded as a highly decorated war veteran, was also a guest speaker at Mohawk College's Remembrance Day ceremony.

He also met with students at Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Catholic Elementary School.

Officials at Mohawk and the Catholic board said they were introduced to Lemmond through his role in citizenship ceremonies held at their institutions.

Military participants are "almost always" referred to Citizenship and Immigration Canada by the Canadian Forces, Veterans Affairs or other partners such as the Royal Canadian Legion, Lariviere said ....
B821781448Z.1_20141201230118_000_G0L1CJG1B.2_Content.jpg

Donald Lemmond after his speech at Mohawk College’s Remembrance Day ceremony on Nov. 11, 2014.  (Photo:  Daniel Levinter)

More from the U.S. on using viral video to out walts ....
A viral video exploded on the Internet in the last few days, starring a man in an Army uniform who is confronted by a veteran in a shopping mall on Black Friday. The man in camouflage says he served in Afghanistan and Iraq and is a member of the elite Army Rangers, but seems confused about a variety of Army rules, regulations and units.

The veteran  — a former infantryman with the 101st Airborne Division — lobs a series of questions at the heavyset man in uniform while at Oxford Valley Mall near Philadelphia. He appears confused when asked why is wearing more than one Combat Infantry Badge, an award for those who have personally been in combat, and a U.S. flag on the wrong part of his sleeve.

“You got me on that one, buddy,” the man in uniform says, moving the flag higher on his shoulder at the direction of the veteran.

The situation escalates, with the veteran cursing at the man in uniform and calling him a liar.

“Why don’t you just admit you’re a phony?” the veteran says. “You know that’s illegal, right?”

The clip has been viewed more than 2 million times since it was posted Black Friday. But it’s hardly the only one like it. It illustrates a broader trend in which veterans and active-duty troops spot people they believe are faking military service, confront them on video and then post the results on social media.

“I watched this guy talk to this little kid for like 10, 15 minutes. I heard him say he was Special Forces,” the veteran in the video, Ryan Beck, told Army Times. “Nothing added up with this dude.”

U.S. troops and veterans have long loathed those who fake military service. But in an era of social media and cell phone cameras, they now expose them rapidly, with the videos distributed widely with scorn because of the sales discounts, free drinks and other perks faking military service can yield.

But the practice also has a dark side. The fiancee of the man in the video, told Army Times that they have faced fierce cyber bullying, with contact information and family photographs posted online. Beck told the newspaper that was never his intention.

“That’s a shame,” Berk said. “His kids obviously have nothing to do with it. That’s wrong. That wasn’t my intention. My intention was to have this guy put on blast so he stops doing it.” ....

The federal government is probing how current and retired soldiers are invited to citizenship ceremonies after a Hamilton man who welcomed new Canadians was exposed as a false war veteran.

"We are reviewing the process of inviting (Canadian Forces) members and veterans to citizenship ceremonies, but remain deeply appreciative of the role CAF members and veterans play in welcoming new citizens to the Canadian family," Remi Lariviere, Citizenship and Immigration Canada spokesperson, said in an email.

It shouldn't really be that hard. If you have an NDI 75 or NDI 20, you're good to go. Requests for speakers can be filtered by the local/regional/unit PAFFO.

In keeping with the theme of this thread...

Search function is n/s at this time, but I recall someone posting on this site about a Jimmy with an extravagant and possibly fictional account of his adventures on Op Apollo ROTO 0. It may have been related to a Facebook post or maybe a CBC story. I recall thinking to myself at the time that the story didn't quite ring true, based on what I recall hearing and seeing on that tour. Fast forward to today...

Mrs Mark-space and I are at the local Chapters, and I spy this book in the history section:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/afghanistan-a-canadian-story/9781894673716-item.html?ikwid=afghanistan+a+canadian+story&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0

Amongst the many stories detailed therein is a ridiculous account written by a self-proclaimed Signal Operator named Rayne Timmons. Says he joined the CF in 2001, and by 2002 was kicking down doors and popping bad guys while with 3VP BG in Kandahar! Frankly, I could not believe that what was clearly the product of someones imagination found itself between the pages of an otherwise serious and respectful accounting of our 13 years in Afghanistan. Please check it out next time you're in the book store...

Google search while typing this post reveals the author has apologized:

http://www.afghanistanacanadianstory.ca/

Perhaps the outing of "Sgt" Gervais et al shamed him into telling the truth!

What a shameful thing to do. Seriously f****ing disgusting. Has two daughters; what a sad sad example of a human.

Does this sound legit?

A civilian guy in CFB borden teaching CF soldiers on a sniper course.  Has something like that ever happened?

I was unaware they ran sniper courses in Borden. If he's being employed for real then he would have been vetted and if he passed the vetting and is a phoney they will be able to tell very quickly.

Isn't this the same guy who was outed waaaaaaaay back in this thread. Sig Op who was attached to US forces, using incorrect acronyms for things. Was determined there was now way he finished all his courses in time to be deployed.. Seems to be very similar.

Jarnhamar said:
Does this sound legit?

A civilian guy in CFB borden teaching CF soldiers on a sniper course.  Has something like that ever happened?

Perhaps someone is exaggerating a famil shoot with sniper weapons on a Weapon Tech course?

I think this guy may be a bit touched in the head. If not he soon will be.

http://popularmilitary.com/valor-thief-catch-can/

Back