• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

The thing is, the show up in Legion regalia, and it's likely stuff that they've earned through roles that they've legitimately filled with the legion.

The general public doesn't have a clue that medals worn on the right by Legion members do not actually equate to military service. They just see a rack of stuff, and assume "OMG - A HERO"....
I have always found Legion medals to be self aggrandising and pointless for anything but attempting to look like they have earned actual medals. Considering they are a veterans organization they should understand more than anyone how much value is placed on medals by those who earned them.

I have always found Legion medals to be self aggrandising and pointless for anything but attempting to look like they have earned actual medals. Considering they are a veterans organization they should understand more than anyone how much value is placed on medals by those who earned them.
The thing is, most of them are NOT actually former military.

I was convinced to 'step up' as the Sgt at Arms for the local Legion at one point - I stepped down due to the Needs of the Service (I was posted back to a ship, with a busy schedule, and could not commit to the rest of the year) but here's the thing.

After 12 months in the position, you become eligible for a Legion Medal. Attend 10-12 meetings and get a gong to wear around and feel important.

Why they went that way? I don't know. Maybe someone 25-40 years ago liked to have bling and decided that legion bling was a way to look good. shrug

Maybe someone 25-40 55-70 years ago liked to have something to show that they did more at the legion hall than the others who just sat around, drank beer and told stories.
Like the CAF members who use their number of medals to compare themselves against others... Which leads to some deciding their honourable service needs to be embellished so they are more special.

Maybe someone 25-40 55-70 years ago liked to have something to show that they did more at the legion hall than the others who just sat around, drank beer and told stories.
Could be that as well.

From what I can tell, there used to be a pin/badge, but at some point they switched to their 'medal' format and that seems to have stuck.

The thing is, the show up in Legion regalia, and it's likely stuff that they've earned through roles that they've legitimately filled with the legion.

The general public doesn't have a clue that medals worn on the right by Legion members do not actually equate to military service. They just see a rack of stuff, and assume "OMG - A HERO"....
I think referring to them as medals isn't the best idea. The Legion is far from the only organization that hands out unofficial medals to its members. The Legion is very specific about when they can be worn (on the right side, only on Legion uniform), and they have made them distinctly different from traditional medals, they are noticeably smaller, and for the most part, they all have the Legion badge on them.

Unfortunately, you will occasionally see people abuse them and wear them when not in a Legion uniform or mount them with medals from multiple organizations. However, at least you don't see people wearing them on the left side with recognized medals in a way that many first responders are guilty of, I've even seen some of those people wearing them on military uniforms as well. They are generally a high enough rank that no body charges them.

At the end of the day it takes a lot of work to keep organization going and doing all the building upkeep. Also in any volunteer organization 10% of the people do 90% of the work. Most people want to either enjoy a drink or be "seagulls" (fly in, shit on everything and then fly off) or the good idea fairy, suggest something and then go away, take credit for it if it works and blame other if it does not.
I am sure Legion politics and bureaucracy can be a real pain in the butt. But they are also dealing with a fair bit of cash flow which can lead to problems (like sticky fingers). They do need to modernize their dress codes and outfits. Another issue here is that all restaurants and food services are suffering revenue shortages, most unions have closed their kitchens as they were losing money which costs them customers. the only reason most Legions survive is because they own their property outright.

However, at least you don't see people wearing them on the left side with recognized medals in a way that many first responders are guilty of, I've even seen some of those people wearing them on military uniforms as well. They are generally a high enough rank that no body charges them

First responder service medals are part of our medals, honours and awards and belong with the rest of your rack.

I think referring to them as medals isn't the best idea. The Legion is far from the only organization that hands out unofficial medals to its members. The Legion is very specific about when they can be worn (on the right side, only on Legion uniform), and they have made them distinctly different from traditional medals, they are noticeably smaller, and for the most part, they all have the Legion badge on them.

Unfortunately, you will occasionally see people abuse them and wear them when not in a Legion uniform or mount them with medals from multiple organizations. However, at least you don't see people wearing them on the left side with recognized medals in a way that many first responders are guilty of, I've even seen some of those people wearing them on military uniforms as well. They are generally a high enough rank that no body charges them.
Cadets and Navy League also have their own medals that they are authorized to wear on their cadet uniform. They also get awarded Legion medals from time to time and from a few other organizations. Some Army Cadets also earn Jump wings. My daughter have the Navy League Medal of Excellence, she likes to bug me about having a medal and I don"t :giggle:

a68e28da46b20983cfac9a5b4f76b587

First responder service medals are part of our medals, honours and awards and belong with the rest of your rack.

I'm talking about the ones that aren't on that list. Ones handed out by departments or occasionally by the provinces. Some of the provincial medals are authorized, but others aren't generally because the relevant service is recognized by an official medal. For example, firefighters receive the Exemplary Service Medal for 20 years service. Ontario awards a 25 year service medal which is not included in the order of precedence because that service has already been recognized.

I can't say I've seen that. Emergency services exemplary service medals are recognized honours.

Sorry - I missed your above response.

Figured Emergency Services would get dragged in. Again. :)

Speaking only from my own experience, I received my 20-year ESM, with 10-year Bar, after 34 years of full-time 9-1-1 Operations in Canada's largest city.

Never worn it. Never will. Only had a year to max-out anyway.

On a scene, we looked at the lower left sleeve. One cloth insignia for every five years of completed full-time service on the job.

Not part-time / full-time CAF service, or TI with another municipality.

Depends. The province of Alberta and the city of Calgary issue some emergency responder medals that aren’t approved, but that various emergency services out there frequently (with official sanction, it appears) wear them mounted with national honours. Though generally you’re right, most of the provincial ones we see worn have Rideau Hall approval.

The province of Alberta and the city of Calgary issue some emergency responder medals that aren’t approved, but that various emergency services out there frequently (with official sanction, it appears) wear them mounted with national honours. Though generally you’re right, most of the provincial ones we see worn have Rideau Hall approval.

If bling is your thing, the City of New York ( Police, FDNY Fire / EMS ) has a solution.

No other federal, state, county etc. bling is worn on their departmental uniforms.

Attachments

• NYPD_Medal_Poster-574x698.jpg
    NYPD_Medal_Poster-574x698.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 9
  • FDNYmedals.jpg
    FDNYmedals.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 9
I seem to recall or it was at least my understanding that say you were presented with the sultans freedom medal you could wear it while in that country? Out of respect for the host?

If bling is your thing, the City of New York ( Police, FDNY Fire / EMS ) has a solution.

No other federal, state, county etc. bling is worn on their departmental uniforms.

I like that we have one coherent and consistent system of national honours.

I like that we have one coherent and consistent system of national honours.

They don't wear national honours / honors on their departmental uniforms.

Medal Day is one of the Department's most time-honored traditions, dating back to 1869.

"Tradition. Unimpeded by progress." :)

Attachments

• fdnymedal.jpg
    fdnymedal.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 11
Thing is, Legion medals were created within the legion by veterans back when the Legion executives were veteran dominated. Most of the internal medals have stayed the same since. So this is something that was done by vets.
Vets who likely understood the value in medals, hence the desire to have more for their self worth even if they never did much to earn them.

At the end of the day they can do as they wish, I just feel its a tacky low quality show for those who need a bunch of medals to feel important. Especially considering the amount of medals is substantially more than most CAF members will ever earn for doing real potentially dangerous work.

. However, at least you don't see people wearing them on the left side with recognized medals in a way that many first responders are guilty of, I've even seen some of those people wearing them on military uniforms as well. They are generally a high enough rank that no body charges them.

Left side, no rank, and I'll even plead guilty....charge me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231114-180035_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231114-180035_Samsung Internet.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 44
Back