• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

vision requirements

shootergurl

Inactive
Reaction score
I am a 31 year old woman who has always wanted to join the military.  Now I think that I am ready, I am concerned about the vision requirements.  I am very nearsighted.  My perscriptions says -6.5 in one eye and -6 in the other.  What are my chances of getting through?  I am very willing to get laser surgery and in fact I am considering it within the next year or so.

Is there anybody out there with a similar perscription that has some advice?

My eyes are as bad as yours, and I got in with no problems.

That said, you will be limited to what trades you can join. The vision rating goes from a V1 (20/20 or better) up to at least a V4 (which is where I am and you most likely are as well). The vision requirement for any combat arms trade is a V3 or better, so you would be most likely restricted to combat support or service support trades.

You still have a wide range of trades open to you, but you'll have to talk to a recruiter for specific details.

Hope that helps...

Im in the same boat. MY glasses are currently out of commission So I am without them. I am fine to work and such and such, but I have pretty bad eyes (not sure just how bad, Been a while since I went to an eye docter) I am planning to join 031 Infantry. I am assuming I would need a V3+ vision rating to pass the eye exam right?  what of laser eye surgury, which I am planning on getting soon as I can afford it. I am however only 18 and my options are limited.

If you do a search in this forum, you will find many topics on the subjects of vision requirements and laser eye surgery.. It's been discussed ad nauseum.

(I'm V4 too, with -6ish, I can't recall off hand.)

Back