• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Virginia Air National Guard pilot sidelined for criticizing F22 fighter

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
So he essentially screwed up his career by speaking out about this plane?

Military.com

Pilot Sidelined after Criticizing F-22 System

The Virginian-Pilot | Apr 20, 2014 | by Bill Bartel

The Air Force has spent tens of millions of dollars over the past two years correcting problems with its premier jet fighter -- issues that Capt. Joshua Wilson helped expose by speaking up, both to his bosses and on national television.

Since then, Wilson's career as an F-22 Raptor pilot has stalled. A member of the Virginia Air National Guard's 149th Fighter Squadron, Wilson hasn't been permitted to fly the jet since early 2012.
He's fighting disciplinary actions that he sees as retribution for going public.

"I'm a fighter pilot. I worked my entire life to get in the cockpit and to that job," said Wilson, who is 37. "Right now, I'm fighting the Air Force when I should be fighting our enemies."

(...EDITED)

Almost two years ago, Wilson and Maj. Jeremy Gordon told CBS's "60 Minutes" that the F-22 had a defective oxygen system that was endangering pilots.

The veteran aviators, dressed in their Virginia Air National Guard flight suits, shared their personal accounts of mid-flight oxygen deprivation that left them disoriented. Other pilots had similar life-threatening experiences but were reluctant to speak publicly, they said.

The Pentagon's top brass took notice.

Then-Defense Secretary Leon Panetta demanded that Air Force leaders accelerate their efforts to fix the problem. He asked NASA and the Navy to help, and he restricted Raptor flights so pilots experiencing problems would be close to a landing field. Members of Congress weighed in, too.

Back at Langley Air Force Base, Virginia Air National Guard leaders were also taking action. Even before the "60 Minutes" segment aired in May 2012, the squadron's leadership began a series of punitive measures against Wilson.

In April 2012, they stopped his planned promotion to major, and they threatened to take away his wings, jeopardizing his military career.

(...EDITED)

Kudos to Captain Wilson and Major Gordon for speaking out.I believe their act qualifies for protection under the Whistle Blower statutes.As to their career's if you refuse to fly,you are pretty much sidelining yourself.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/02/11/nasa-cites-concerns-in-af-raptor-probe.html

More on Major Gordon:

Military.com

Lawyer: 2nd Pilot Pulled From F-22 After Interview

The Virginian-Pilot | May 02, 2014 | by Bill Bartel

A second F-22 Raptor pilot who spoke publicly about safety issues with the fighter jet was barred from flying the plane not long after appearing on national television two years ago, his attorney said Thursday.

The revelation came the same day that U.S. Sen. Mark Warner and an Illinois congressman pressed Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel to speed up what is now a 2-year-long investigation into whether the Virginia Air National Guard pilots were wrongly punished for appearing on CBS's "60 Minutes" program in May 2012.

Maj. Jeremy Gordon and Capt. Joshua Wilson, both assigned to the Guard's 149th Fighter Squadron at Langley Air Force Base, described how the plane's defective oxygen system was endangering pilots, noting that many aviators were not willing to speak publicly for fear of reprisals.

The men were treated differently in the spring of 2012 and in the months that followed the broadcast.

Gordon, 38, a fighter jet combat veteran, now does not fly the F-22 but remains in the squadron, flying a T-38 trainer jet. Attorney Rick Morgan, who represents both pilots, said Thursday that it wasn't Gordon's decision in May or June 2012 to stop flying the F-22.

(...EDITED)

Meanwhile, Wilson has said he's fighting to get his career back. He also is a former F-16 pilot whose goal has been to eventually become a full-time F-22 aviator.

Wilson requested a Defense Department Inspector General investigation in early 2012, claiming he was the focus of punitive actions that included stopping a planned promotion and initiating a review of his flight status that prevents him from flying in the interim. He's still assigned to the squadron but hasn't flown an F-22 since early 2012.

(...EDITED)

Maybe they should transfer to the USNR or USMCR.They wouldnt have to fly the F-22.

Back