• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Violent Arrest of student at Univ.of Western Ontario sparks uproar on youtube

Sierra Kilo said:
Thanks for that info Tommy, that was pretty much what I was expecting to hear...  it's too bad that the mainstream media hasn't made that link, have they?

From what Ive read the MSM are painting this in a positive light... as is all the organizations involved...
its the Hippie "I hate pigs" students who are turning this into another "omigawd this is just like rodney king...." event....

stupid hippies.....

I have to smile though when I think of the naiveness of some of these 'enlightened' students reacting strongly to the news. Being a former social sciences student myself (albeit student-soldier) I can see where they come from if they are suddenly witness to a violent act after so many discussions about why people do what they do - I'm sure many of them were like me and never dealt with the police while growing up, one way or the other...

Update:
"Student in YouTube arrest likely to sue: His lawyer Phil Millar said Wednesday his client will probably sue the university, London police and campus police over the arrest. Zeljkovic is now in a psychiatric hospital, where he doesn't appear to be faring well, said Millar.":
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/windsor/story/2009/11/04/uwo-violent-arrest-lawsuit368.html

mariomike said:
Update:
"Student in YouTube arrest likely to sue: His lawyer Phil Millar said Wednesday his client will probably sue the university, London police and campus police over the arrest. Zeljkovic is now in a psychiatric hospital, where he doesn't appear to be faring well, said Millar."

That's some lawyer.  He better get his retainer up front.  I somehow don't think that there's going to anything out of the proceeds from a suit.  Now if they sent him to Syria ....... 

The media has an omnipotent power to put whatever sort of spin they would like on any given story.  As a mainstream news source, many in the status quo will not look into deeper meaning.

If the student was indeed under the influence of a controlled or prohibited substance and chose to resist arrest because of that - then he deserves what he gets.

If all we are going on is a media opinion that clashes with some views of people that were there (and aligns with others as well) then who are we to pass judgement.  I'm not advocating either answer as the correct one - I'm saying that there often is more to the situation than we are told.

From what I've gathered, this situation was initially handled by Special Constables with the LPS coming in after.  It is possible that instead of diffusing a situation with a delusional or mentally ill individual it was escalated, simply because it was a situation that the first officers responding hadn't dealt with before. We cannot fault the officers for dealing with a perceived threat to themselves and others. But perhaps there was a better response for that particular situation.

Just trying to keep an open mind until we get more details.

expect to see a lot of  dreadlocked, bongo playing suburban white kids, saying we live in a facist state.

NotRambo said:
expect to see a lot of  dreadlocked, bongo playing suburban white kids, saying we live in a facist state.

So, the same reaction they'd have to the application of ratings for violence or sexuality on video games.

Student arrested on YouTube has charges stayed

By JANE SIMS, QMI Agency

LONDON, Ont. -- Four charges against a University of Western Ontario student whose violent arrest was posted to YouTube have been stayed.
The charges against Irnes Zeljkovic were stayed Wednesday when a judge agreed he should be treated under the Mental Health Act.
Zeljkovic, 22, barricaded himself in a seventh-floor office of the Social Sciences building at the University of Western Ontario on Oct. 14.

He then approached two campus police officers in what the university called a "violent manner."
Police later confronted him on the building's main floor. Several campus and city police officers wrestled with Zeljkovic, striking him at least 35 times.

A witness filmed the confrontation and posted a 90-second clip on YouTube that has drawn nearly 400,000 viewers.
In the video,Zeljkovic is commanded to "Stop resisting!" 

Zeljkovic was charged with mischief, resisting arrest, escaping custody and assaulting a peace officer.
A lawyer acting for Zeljkovic said academic stress may have played a role in the incident.

The university hired the former head of the OPP to review the arrest that sparked protest of police tactics.

Update:
Jul. 23, 2010
Globe and Mail:
"University student sues police, school over violent arrest: Video footage of the arrest was posted on YouTube; student seeks $750,000 in damages":
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/university-student-sues-police-school-over-violent-arrest/article1649574/

April 2010
"Independent Review for the University of Western Ontario"  by Gwen Boniface, Former
Commissioner of Ontario Provincial Police:
http://uwo.ca/local_files/downloads/boniface-report-final.pdf

"Western Student in Violent Arrest Video Goes Public: Irnes Zeljkovic Speaks Out:"
( Video ):
http://www.atv.ca/london/news_73103.aspx

Are you kidding me? I don't care if he was in a "disoriented" state and "didn't want to fight anyone" if a person fluent in English is in a state such that they can't comprehend orders to submit to a handcuffing what's to say that in that state they might think it a prudent action to grab for a police officer's weapon if the situation is pussyfooted? A few "deep bruises" on some nut are better than one of my friends being hurt on campus at UWO. I'm not unsympathetic to him being in a not completely lucid mental state, but he's no worse for the wear so he can frig off.

Back