• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Victoria is facing a public-safety crisis

nathan fillion castle GIF
It is a thing.

Apparently.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but yeah, Saltspring I guess. Karma Cops now?

That's old news... the new way is 'biomimicry', so get with the in crowd dude!

Utter nonsense. Lawful s.494 arrests happen regularly and without incident. So long as the arresting person (usually loss prevention/security guard/bouncer) is expeditious about calling for police to come take custody, and they don’t actually use excessive force, they’re fine. Have some gone overboard? Sure. Are those conducting lawful and reasonable ‘citizens arrests’ regularly persecuted by the justice system? No. Usually if things go sideways it’s because the arrested person gets violent and things escalate.
It does happen, though.

I don't know about the outcome of the former, but the latter (Chen) was acquitted and was the impetus for changing the 'citizen's arrest' section.

Store owners see their income going out the door, and many mom-and-pop stores exist at basically minimum wage. Employees are different and many corporate employers don't want either the liability or publicity. To them it's either an insurable loss or a write-off. It got so bad at Ontario liquor stores after it became widely known that staff were instructed not to confront 'shoplifters' that they even stopped trying to be surreptitious about it.

Not Victoria per se, but Salt Spring Island so close enough...

View attachment 81104
I have to wonder how that went down; so the person whose aura was disparaged called the RCMP, the person with the bad aura called the cops, or did a third part see them arguing about the aura being disparaged and report it?

What do you even say to that call anyway when you roll up?

I have to wonder how that went down; so the person whose aura was disparaged called the RCMP, the person with the bad aura called the cops, or did a third part see them arguing about the aura being disparaged and report it?

Luckily it wasn't the aggressive house cat thing ;)

Reports of insulted aura, aggressive house cat among Salt Spring RCMP's 2023 files​

Nearly 12,000 people live on B.C.'s Salt Spring Island, and while many understand when to call police, others have an interesting interpretation of emergency situations.

Salt Spring Island RCMP released its third-quarter report this week, detailing 791 calls it received between July 1 and Sept. 30 — including one concerned with unkind words about a person’s aura and another featuring an aggressive cat.

Mounties say they received a report of someone “speaking disparagingly about another person’s aura” in August, and “provided encouragement for the situation to be addressed by the parties involved.”

The following month, police were called after a house cat allegedly attacked the foot of a person who was out walking.

It does happen, though.

I don't know about the outcome of the former, but the latter (Chen) was acquitted and was the impetus for changing the 'citizen's arrest' section.

Store owners see their income going out the door, and many mom-and-pop stores exist at basically minimum wage. Employees are different and many corporate employers don't want either the liability or publicity. To them it's either an insurable loss or a write-off. It got so bad at Ontario liquor stores after it became widely known that staff were instructed not to confront 'shoplifters' that they even stopped trying to be surreptitious about it.

Yup, it happens, but like I said- rare. Those stories are 2009 and 2012, and both are good examples of someone really pushing/crossing the boundaries. I think my comment was still fair and accurate.

Reports of insulted aura, aggressive house cat among Salt Spring RCMP's 2023 files​

Nearly 12,000 people live on B.C.'s Salt Spring Island, and while many understand when to call police, others have an interesting interpretation of emergency situations.

Salt Spring Island RCMP released its third-quarter report this week, detailing 791 calls it received between July 1 and Sept. 30 — including one concerned with unkind words about a person’s aura and another featuring an aggressive cat.

Mounties say they received a report of someone “speaking disparagingly about another person’s aura” in August, and “provided encouragement for the situation to be addressed by the parties involved.”

The following month, police were called after a house cat allegedly attacked the foot of a person who was out walking.

Judging by what I see daily here in Winnipeg, Salt Spring seems to have a lot to offer.

Funny you use the term "roll up"...

"We always get our Non-binary suspect"

My guess is that it's the same group of people on both sides and the local cops are quite aware of the personalities involved.

Back