• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Veterans Affairs says worker ‘inappropriately’ discussed medically assisted death with veteran

If I'm reading this right, someone in the system may have actually put the offer in writing?
Ok, once? Bad actor. Twice? Maybe a few bad actors here & there. In writing? If true, and the letter hasn't been shared publicly yet, starting to feel just a bit more systemic to me.

Here's who else was speaking to the committee yesterday

Bloodsport For Fucks Sake GIF by The Suicide Squad

If I'm reading this right, someone in the system may have actually put the offer in writing?
Ok, once? Bad actor. Twice? Maybe a few bad actors here & there. In writing? If true, and the letter hasn't been shared publicly yet, starting to feel just a bit more systemic to me.

Here's who else was speaking to the committee yesterday
I wouldn't be surprised if more cases come to light, there is bound to be more than one worker who thinks offering to "ease their suffering" is being helpful.

I wouldn't be surprised if more cases come to light, there is bound to be more than one worker who thinks offering to "ease their suffering" is being helpful.
True, but if someone did put it in writing, if this is like any other government department, someone higher up the food chain had to approve the text, even if it was a form letter template that was cut & pasted multiple times.

Individual dummy-ness is one thing, institutional dummy-ness means it's a "top down" problem (maybe not all the way to the top, but well above the folks dealing face-to-face with clients).

I briefly watched her testimony - and to say that I am shocked would be a lie.

I'm not shocked at all given the attitudes that some Canadians have.
Perhaps if VAC hired a few veterans to assist case managers this would not be an issue.

BUT we all know where the public service stands on that subject.

Perhaps if VAC hired a few veterans to assist case managers this would not be an issue.

Were you really expecting anything else once the legislation came out? Sorry but we have made it a habit of setting the lowest possible standard and then missing it

I worked for VAC from Sept 16 to Mar 18 in the Scarborough office. I was there as the funding project manager for IG Toronto but did have many interactions with CMs, VSAs, Disability Benefits adjudicators, and others. There were no specific files discussed but there were many questions about environments, circumstances, attitudes, etc... Some had family members who were CAF members, others had no direct connection and all were very much interested in understanding the whole picture. I also had interactions with many former CAF members who were now employed with VAC, unfortunately they were mostly in Senior Advisor positions and had brought their 30 plus years of CAF institutionalization to VAC. Sorry but someone who made it to senior ranks and has a full pension plus their public service salary does not really relate to the majority of VAC clients especially the ones from the past 20 years or so. -------
For example: when I went to Winnipeg in Sept 16 for the VAC onboarding week (about 100 newly hired employees ranging from administration, CM, VSAs, etc...) They had a CF 101 portion delivered by two 30 plus year CAF members on secondment one a LCol and the other a CWO. Unfortunately, I had to sit there while they went on to perpetuate negative stereotypes of mostly NCMs by relating anecdotal stories of criminal offences and actions. The high light was when the LCol made a comment about the movies Broke Back Mountain and Heart Break Ridge... this had the room laughing except for myself and the people who were sitting at my table because they had seen how I was reacting to this very poor presentation until that point. (These two presenters went on to retirement and directly into VAC Senior Advisor positions)

Your suggestion about hiring Veteran Advocates within VAC for the specific support of the regional officer workers would be a good step. The CMs and VSAs who do all the direct work with Veterans need that support firsthand and not via a multistage decision/question stream. The challenge I see is background and ability of a Veteran to be objective in their communications regarding the multitude of individual experiences each Veteran has or had experienced. Like the example I provided above the challenge is finding qualified or I should say those who understand empathy and that the Veterans Well Being Act is legislation and not a place for your personal beliefs.

Regarding Christine's situation, the suggestion of MAID was from a Veterans Service Agent (it's been hinted at in regard to the investigation and statement that the suggestions are related to one VSA ) during a phone call. The letters referenced are regarding the denial of mobility supports and more specifically a ramp for her to access her home and parts for her wheelchair. Not sure how other so called Veteran support groups or Charities have not stepped up to the plate to provide this ramp??? Yes, it's a VAC responsibility to provide or deny based on the legislation but CMs and VSAs do have the ability to facilitate other avenues of funding for specific situations and circumstances.

I worked for VAC from Sept 16 to Mar 18 in the Scarborough office. I was there as the funding project manager for IG Toronto but did have many interactions with CMs, VSAs, Disability Benefits adjudicators, and others. There were no specific files discussed but there were many questions about environments, circumstances, attitudes, etc... Some had family members who were CAF members, others had no direct connection and all were very much interested in understanding the whole picture. I also had interactions with many former CAF members who were now employed with VAC, unfortunately they were mostly in Senior Advisor positions and had brought their 30 plus years of CAF institutionalization to VAC. Sorry but someone who made it to senior ranks and has a full pension plus their public service salary does not really relate to the majority of VAC clients especially the ones from the past 20 years or so. -------
For example: when I went to Winnipeg in Sept 16 for the VAC onboarding week (about 100 newly hired employees ranging from administration, CM, VSAs, etc...) They had a CF 101 portion delivered by two 30 plus year CAF members on secondment one a LCol and the other a CWO. Unfortunately, I had to sit there while they went on to perpetuate negative stereotypes of mostly NCMs by relating anecdotal stories of criminal offences and actions. The high light was when the LCol made a comment about the movies Broke Back Mountain and Heart Break Ridge... this had the room laughing except for myself and the people who were sitting at my table because they had seen how I was reacting to this very poor presentation until that point. (These two presenters went on to retirement and directly into VAC Senior Advisor positions)

Your suggestion about hiring Veteran Advocates within VAC for the specific support of the regional officer workers would be a good step. The CMs and VSAs who do all the direct work with Veterans need that support firsthand and not via a multistage decision/question stream. The challenge I see is background and ability of a Veteran to be objective in their communications regarding the multitude of individual experiences each Veteran has or had experienced. Like the example I provided above the challenge is finding qualified or I should say those who understand empathy and that the Veterans Well Being Act is legislation and not a place for your personal beliefs.

Regarding Christine's situation, the suggestion of MAID was from a Veterans Service Agent (it's been hinted at in regard to the investigation and statement that the suggestions are related to one VSA ) during a phone call. The letters referenced are regarding the denial of mobility supports and more specifically a ramp for her to access her home and parts for her wheelchair. Not sure how other so called Veteran support groups or Charities have not stepped up to the plate to provide this ramp??? Yes, it's a VAC responsibility to provide or deny based on the legislation but CMs and VSAs do have the ability to facilitate other avenues of funding for specific situations and circumstances.

Not that I'm an expert in the subject, but it strikes me that any good insurance company could run things better than VAC.

Why not go to competitive tender and contract out VAC services?

Compared to the other caseloads managed by the insurance industry, the CAF client portion would probably be miniscule.

Just sayin'...

Not that I'm an expert in the subject, but it strikes me that any good insurance company could run things better than VAC.

Compared to the other caseloads managed by the insurance industry, the CAF client portion would probably be miniscule.

Just sayin'...
VAC has tendered and the new service provider started their contract last month. VAC sent letters in the summer and PCVRS sent letters in November regarding their taking over of Rehabilitation Services and the Vocational Assistance Program. This is a running theme and once again another stream of decision makers is in the mix and no doubt a transition period will be an excuse for delayed supports... call me negative but VAC and PCVRS need to feel the pressure full time, it's what real advocacy for Veterans should be about, no one should feel absolute in their assuming authority over others.

Sisip is another issue when it comes to long term disability and benefits. Aside from the immediate cheque from Sisip there are a few Veterans in a perpetual state of spin due to Sisip and VAC benefits competing against one another.

Just sayin'...
In the meantime I think one of the best messages we can give Veterans is "the only person that is going to help you, is yourself".

History had told me that the Government isn't going to help and you'll waste a tonne of personal energy angrily trying to get them to.

Nobody is coming to your aide when SHTF and you need to be able to be independent and autonomous.

In the meantime I think one of the best messages we can give Veterans is "the only person that is going to help you, is yourself".

The message I give is don’t be a hero. With the state of the military there is no reason to finish your career with a physical disability, or worse. Breaking your body or mind for this government with the resources they give isn’t worth it. A small amount of money won’t help you with a lifetime worth of pain or suffering.

Apparently there are now five known instances, all linked to the same individual, and VAC has contacted the RCMP.

MacAulay said the four instances, which took place between 2019 and May 2022, were "all related to one single employee and it's not a widespread or a systemic issue," and added that the RCMP was also contacted for potential charges.

"We expect all Veterans Affairs Canada employees to interact with veterans with care, compassion and respect, and the actions of this one employee is simply disgusting," he said.

MacAulay's office said Gauthier's experience being offered MAID was not one of the four confirmed cases, but is being investigated.

"We are encouraging the individual (or anyone who has experienced a similar situation) to reach out to Veterans Affairs Canada or the Office of the Veterans Ombud to help with the ongoing investigation," said [ the minister's press secretary ].

The message I give is don’t be a hero. With the state of the military there is no reason to finish your career with a physical disability, or worse. Breaking your body or mind for this government with the resources they give isn’t worth it. A small amount of money won’t help you with a lifetime worth of pain or suffering.
Bingo!

And when you inevitably get hurt trying to be Captain Canada, they'll discard you like a piece of trash. They always think they are going to find the next sucker to do their bidding.

The youth would be wise to look elsewhere for other opportunities. Only join the Military now if you literally can't do anything else.

Especially in this Country, where Veterans are looked at with low key disdain by a substantial portion of the Joe/Jill Public.

Especially in this Country, where Veterans are looked at with low key disdain by a substantial portion of the Joe/Jill Public.

Tommy

Part of the issue is that the front line workers for the most part have not one clue about military life.

The exercises where you get zero rest for 3 days. The posting cycles. The endless days at sea, or on Maritime patrol - which I understand can be a bitch.

The injuries that are incurred which see the ends of careers, or injuries that become chronic way down the road.

This is what they need - to listen to and try to understand.

The youth would be wise to look elsewhere for other opportunities. Only join the Military now if you literally can't do anything else.
Now?

That has been the running theme, unless we were in a shooting war, for decades.

I joined pre-9/11 and the attitude towards the CAF (minus the sexual misconduct, which the public didn't know about then) was about the same.

Now?

That has been the running theme, unless we were in a shooting war, for decades.

I joined pre-9/11 and the attitude towards the CAF (minus the sexual misconduct, which the public didn't know about then) was about the same.

Same. My parents sat me down and asked me why I was throwing my life away and why I wanted to become a drunken wife beater.

I joined in 1974, most 17 year olds were “we don’t like military stuff Vietnam baby killers”

It was interesting

Same. My parents sat me down and asked me why I was throwing my life away and why I wanted to become a drunken wife beater.
My high school peers thought I was soft in the head, my dad was ok with it, mum thought I’d become a raging alcoholic within weeks.

Back