• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Very impressed with rifle I fired today. Want army guys opnions...

LordVagabond

Inactive
Reaction score
My buddy Brian and I decided that to celebrate the completion of my final final exam for the semester, we'd go to the range and blow our last paycheques respectively. We dumped about $150 into a day pass, 4 boxes of 9mm and a box of .45 each. After warming up with an HK USP 9mm each, it was on to the rifles and large caliber handguns. While the .45 Desert Eagle was fun to fire, I was supremely impressed with the Beretta CX4 Storm .45 and 9mm carbines. Accuracy at 25 yards was extremely good, with a good grouping within an inch of the bullseye, and confirmed head and body shots on a silhouette at 10, 15, and 25 yards on the firing range. The .45 had one HELL of a kick, though, so I actually preferred the 9mm, as it allowed for accuracy, consistency of aim and quick magazine reloads.

I was wondering if anyone out there has fired this carbine, what they thought of it, etc. Here's a link to the website for the carbine: www.cx4storm.com

There is apparently a military, 30 round 3-shot semi-auto version out there currently being tested as a small arms urban rifle, but that's just info garnered off the internet.

Guess I shoulda put this in weapons n ammo  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ Could someone move it please?  :salute:

Your kidding right, about the Military application?

Everyone is going away from pistol calibre carbine/SMG's.

The only reason this system has a niche is due to Canada's retarded gunlaws in that this carbine can use 10rds mags for the Berretta pistols.

Well, I'm not kidding about hearing about the military application, but I never said that I knew it was for sure. Maybe it will be relegated down to Coast Guard (they use MP5's, which are 9mm SMG's) or police forces.

I think that a pistol caliber rifle/carbine is a good idea, especially with the way Beretta made the CX4, because the 9mm magazine is compatible with the Beretta 92 handgun, which gives you two weapons from one magazine. Also, from firing the CX4 in both .45 and 9mm calibers, the 9mm is, in my opinion, more accurate. The .45 has a HELL of a lot more punch (I have the bruise on my shoulder to prove it) but the 9mm would be my favorite caliber.

Maybe it will be relegated down to Coast Guard (they use MP5's, which are 9mm SMG's) or police forces

You are not talking about the Cdn Coast Guard...

The Berretta 92-F is a terrible pistol, and its mags are JUNK for OP usage - just look at ALL the US reports for Iraq and Afghan about weapons.

I shot a Storm - unwhelming to say much.  The MP-5 is a superior SMG, and so are the Colt 9mm SMG's.  5.56mm is a MUCH better round for shooting people with.

Well, hey, I asked for opinions :p

I just found it a lot more stable and a better firing platform than most of the other carbines I fired yesterday. I personally like it.

For military applications, however, I do agree that 5.56 is much better, having fired 5.56 rifles before. It has more punch and distance vs 9mm

How would you rate the .45 cal version of the CX4 then, kevin?

I did not fire the .45 version.  I like .45 as a handgun round over 9mm (just cause I like to make a BIG HOLE in people that I have to shoot) but unfortunately that is not one of my options at work.

Don;t get me wrong I think it is a nice platform for plnking - but it does not offer any advantages over system we already use, and is less modular and would increase costs by having to revamp the manual of arms and training etc...  So I cant see it going anywhere in LE/MIL circles - plus Berretta phased out its .45 pistol - so I think they are just trying to get rid of mags...

The Storm is a neat plinker for shooting tin cans and such but is not by any stretch of the imagination  viable military concept.As Kevin B pointed out the current trend is towards rifle caliber short carbines,over pistol caliber SMGs.I played with a Storm it is not much of an innovation over the current crop of pistol caliber carbines currently on the market such as the HK USC and has nothng on the old reliables such as the Colt SMG and HK Mp5 and a host of others

KevinB said:
The only reason this system has a niche is due to Canada's retarded gunlaws in that this carbine can use 10rds mags for the Berretta pistols.

Other than that, I wouldn't bother with it. I'd rather use an Inglis HP with the wooded butt attached than that futuristic toy.

Off-topic, but...Hey Kev, have you fired or used the .45 HK Mark23? I'm thinking of getting one for the collection and just want a second opinion.

I shot the Mk23 BOAT ANCHOR with the KAC suppressor - neat gun - but BIG

No one I know in the USSOC community likes it

- I've shot a buddies USP .45 Tactical and it handled the same way - like a 2x4.  They are accurate - but I think its appeal is totaly collector grade.  As far as .45 to shoot I'd go with a Kimber...

KevinB said:
I shot the Mk23 BOAT ANCHOR with the KAC suppressor - neat gun - but BIG

No one I know in the USSOC community likes it

- I've shot a buddies USP .45 Tactical and it handled the same way - like a 2x4.   They are accurate - but I think its appeal is totaly collector grade.   As far as .45 to shoot I'd go with a Kimber...

Just don't get the Kimber wet eh Kevin!!! ;D Oddly enough my USP Tactical doesn't have any submersion issues.

Just don't get the Kimber wet eh Kevin!!!  Oddly enough my USP Tactical doesn't have any submersion issues.

Also, the 12rd mag, threaded barrel, and several trigger variants arent a bad idea

I had some rust issues with the Kimber "warrior" so much so that I am a little choked about them calling it Warrior if you can t use it in inclemant weather...

KevinB said:
I had some rust issues with the Kimber "warrior" so much so that I am a little choked about them calling it Warrior if you can t use it in inclemant weather...

That is rather sad.  I guess it's still a very well rounded 'combat' pistol, if used only in a dry environment.  Like that is a pretty big negative.....

Played with a Storm in the shop, fun to look at, no interest though overall. H&K has the SMG market locked.

16" M4 is apparently the way to go. (Shorter barrels run into velocity issues for the bullet). SMGs still have a strong role in certain environments.

As for pistols, I like my 9mm Sig P228 clone (Norinco NP-34 in Canada, without a prohibited licence; no Sig P228/229 anytime soon, unless a specially ordered >4.5" barrel is included at purchase time since the standard 3.86" barrel apparently makes a huge difference in concealment... assinine).

KevinB said:

Or just use the money to buy 2 Glocks! 740 bucks Night sight included! :dontpanic:

And money left to buy 4 cases of ammo.

greentips said:
Or just use the money to buy 2 Glocks! 740 bucks Night sight included! :dontpanic:

And money left to buy 4 cases of ammo.

Where are you getting Glocks for $740??  I'm interested...

BG

Back