• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vehicle Technician ( merged )

Hey cupcake, you forgot the critical training on how to get onto the deck of the Wrecker while it was moving to grab refreshments.  Don't deny it, because I saw you and another That we know very well do it on more than one occasion.

cupper said:
You got the dumb rad op about right. ;D

What about your 60%orderly right, 60% of the time. Build and bridges lately that we should know about.

Recovery Section can be one of the best places to be in a Maint organization.....it can also be the most blasted boring place to be. As long as everyone is driving like savages, going off the road, blowing tires and having accidents there is lots of work to be done.

Or it could be like my tour in Bosnia where, for some strange reason our accident rate was extraordinarily low, and the guys fought for each job that came in, regardless of the weather.

As for "stories" well there are many lose nuts behind the wheel out there and you would be amazed at what we end up pulling.

Off the top of my head, there was a Grizzly that went airborne in Wainwright and pile-drived itself into the side of a hill (that was a mess that one); a LAV III that snapped it's steering shaft clear off on a boulder (I was only doing 20 honest) and a M113 TUA that was buried almost hull deep in one of the many "dry" lakes in Wainwright.

Overseas, I remember a particularly nasty chain accident that involved 2 tractor trailers, 1 bus, 4 cars and the side of a mountain switch-back. Oh...and there was that time, in band camp, that I put 88W into the rhubarb and off the road to dangle over a cliff...it was only a small cliff  ;D needed the other HL Wrecker and the Leo ARV to pull my ass out of that one..cost me a fair bit in whiskey that maneuver did.

Wook

I Have a go fast question, I dont have the paperwork or licence to go with it, but I have been turning wrenches on anything that moves for 23 years from race cars to big rigs and all points in between, now the question is  will CF give me any brownie points for my exp. I put in my App. for Vee Tech 4 days ago and Its been a long weekend since so there is no one available to question.

TwystedAfliction said:
I Have a go fast question, I dont have the paperwork or licence to go with it, but I have been turning wrenches on anything that moves for 23 years from race cars to big rigs and all points in between, now the question is  will CF give me any brownie points for my exp. I put in my App. for Vee Tech 4 days ago and Its been a long weekend since so there is no one available to question.

You will have to ask the CFRC.

But, this may be of interest.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition ( PLAR )

"PLAR is the formal process used to evaluate, accept and recognize prior learning.

An evaluation is conducted to establish to what extent the prior learning equates to the
learning outcomes and standards of current CF training and education.

In some cases the conduct of PLAR may not be organizationally feasible or cost-effective."

More information on the link.

"Canadian Forces Military Equivalencies Program":
http://www.admfincs-smafinsm.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5031-1-eng.asp

Unless you've got the papers to back up said experience you wont get anything.  Few guys im on course with were all in the same boat.

Hi I am 18 years old, finishing high school this year and I have a few a questions that I can't seem to get answered.

first i was wondering if i should get my journeyman mechanics and then join to be a vehicle technician? would that let me be able to skip the MOC training? or if i join to be a vehicle technician and finish my service then and decide that its not for me and leave would i have like my journeyman mechanics? on a day to day basis what do they do? (as in what vehicles do they work on and the tasks they get to do) how often do they get to go over seas and what are the things they do there?

I'm not to sure if this is the place to be asking these questions but its worth a try.

I'm not a Veh Tech,  so my reply is only based off what I've seen and with talking to Veh Techs.

eez03 said:
on a day to day basis what do they do? (as in what vehicles do they work on and the tasks they get to do)

Depends on what unit you belong to.  But,  depending on the unit you could be working on anything from a LSVW to a Leopard tank,  etc

eez03 said:
what are the things they do there?

The Veh Techs I've seen(during TF 1-08)either worked in KAF or at one of the FOBs,  what they did.. fix vehicles, etc  Some also were in MRTs. 

eez03 said:
I'm not to sure if this is the place to be asking these questions but its worth a try.

There is a forum for all things EME(the branch Veh Techs belong too)
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,57.0.html  - search around,  lots of information there

Not a mechanic, but I will say you will not be able to skip MOC training, but may be able to as a trained Journeyman Mechanic be credited portions of the training.  You have to take the MOC training to become familiar with the military vehicles you work on, the military administration and supply systems, etc. 

To the best of my knowledge, as a military trained mechanic, you would not leave as a Journeyman, but you would be able to challenge the tests.

Hi I am 18 years old, finishing high school this year and I have a few a questions that I can't seem to get answered.

first i was wondering if i should get my journeyman mechanics and then join to be a vehicle technician? would that let me be able to skip the MOC training? or if i join to be a vehicle technician and finish my service then and decide that its not for me and leave would i have like my journeyman mechanics? on a day to day basis what do they do? (as in what vehicles do they work on and the tasks they get to do) how often do they get to go over seas and what are the things they do there?

This is exactly the palce to be asking th equestion.

(1) If you enrol with your journeyman's ticket you will likely be given equivalencies for most of your initial MOC training.  There would be some military-specific training.  Each individual is assessed on their own merits, so your results may vary.

(2) There is some accreditation of military training; depending on where you go you may be able to translate your miltiary qualifications into civilian ones. Again, each case is different - what training did you complete?  What practical experience did you acquire?

(3) Day to day your work will vary depending on what vehicles need repairs, and what unit you are posted to.  After your QL3, you'd be working to complete OJT - there's an OJT book with all the work you need to complete and have signed off by your supervisors before you go on to do further training.

(4) Veh Techs deploy with every major deployment.  In Afghanistan a full maintenance company deployed, doing a wide range of work, from basic maintenace to detailed repairs to battle damage assessments to retrofitting new equipment.  And, on occasion, playing floor hockey.

You will likely be credited some parts of your MOC as said before and given a Hook and the extra pay to go with it however you will have to do most of your MOC training. 
What you do on a day to day basis all depends on the unit your at.  For the first couple years you will be training and doing fairly minor tasks.  Once finished your OJT and DP2 you will be able to do a lot more.
Its defiantly a great career and even better they pay for your mechanical training.

Your chance of challenging the tests for your journeyman's is largely dependant on which province you are in. Some provinces (Alberta in particular) has a high regard for our training and you are usually able to challenge after a certain amount of hours (sorry, can't remember how many).
Other provinces (Quebec and Manitoba in particular) make things a bit more difficult (have to have some schooling done in those provinces or been a licensed tech in another province). My info is a bit dated, been out of the trade for a few years now so things may have changed with the various provincial apprentice boards.

There are benefits of getting training first and then joining. You will get to skip some parts of your DP1/DP2 training, but you will still have to do the military type components (Regimental Company being probably the most important where you learn your tactical drills and just what a Mobile Repair Team does) such as tracked vehicles and recovery section.

As for work, your initial posting would likely be to a 2nd Line unit (Service Battalion) where you will do jobs on major components (engines, trannys, differentials). Basically, 2nd line work is any job that takes over 4 hours to do (it's way more complicated than that in practice, but that's the basic theory). After you do that for a few years and complete your Developmental Period 2 course (what we used to call QL5), you may get posted to a 1st line unit.

1st Line (field units or operational airbases) is the quick and dirty stuff, repairs that can be done in-situ (where it breaks) and in under a couple hours (tires, brakes, lights, alternators, engine parts, but not a whole engine).

In either type of unit, you can end up working on everything from small engines/components (augers, generators, snowmobiles), B vehicles (trucks of all sizes and shapes), A vehicles (tanks, LAV III, TLAV) and recovery (tow trucks).

My Husband was a QL5 Qualified Vehicle Tech when he released from the Military and had 6 years in the trade.  When he went to the apprenticeship board in BC they would only give him credit for the Pre-App course, which here in BC is a 9 Month Course, he had to do 4 years of apprentiship training. 

I am a Vehicle Tech so I will comment since everyone else has already replied.

If you join with prior training you enter the STEP program. This allows you to learn the Military specific parts of the trade and make your training cycle slightly quicker.

After you finish your QL5, here in Alberta they give you your provincial equivalency. It costs you $120 and you get 5 tickets out of the deal. At this point you can challenge the Red Seal test for $60 per ticket.

I don't know where you are living now but just save yourself the trouble and join oil field work now. That's where most Veh Techs with any potential are headed anyways. The trade is junk and the money is crap for the work you do. Edmonton has a high release rate so odds are when you finish your QL3 package you're headed here. Once you get here you get qualified then you wake up. Heavy Equipment Techs in town make $120 000 a year and it becomes pretty hard to eat the $65 000 that you make as a CPL. If you are like me and you're thinking I'll join the army and do cool stuff..... don't kid yourself! Vehicle Techs do very little cool stuff and a lot of waiting for parts on truck that are older than you.  When you finally get the parts you find out that because Ottawa figured they could save $0.03 per item they went with a new manufacture and they made the part completely wrong. You will submit reports and pictures and all of this falls on deaf ears because most people are only in a spot for the check mark towards a promotion and not to really make a difference. You can compare the shop staffing situation and see these problems, most civy shops you have a Manager, Foreman and Lead hand. Army shops will have 5 CPLs on the floor working, 5 MCpls pretending that they work but in reality they probably don't even have a tool box anymore ( 1 SVC BN!!!!), you probably have 2-3 SGTs at least 1 WO and ET(MWO) and a Maint O(CAPT). This works out to 10 Admin positions for 5 working pers and your leave passes will still take months to get approved.

If you are set on joining the Military, good on you it is a great career just don't do it as a Vehicle Tech. If you want to be a Mechanic, save yourself the time and just get a normal job. Vehicle Tech is a trade that is in awful shape right now and it is not getting better. The wrong people are getting out leaving way to much room for people to advance that really shouldn't be.

Trucktech said:
After you finish your QL5, here in Alberta they give you your provincial equivalency. It costs you $120 and you get 5 tickets out of the deal. At this point you can challenge the Red Seal test for $60 per ticket.

What are the five Red Seal tickets you can challenge?

Thanks

MC

Automotive Service Technician
Heavy Equipment Technician
Heavy Equipment Technician - Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Off Road)
Heavy Equipment Technician - Transport Trailer Mechanic
Heavy Equipment Technician - Truck and Transport Mechanic

All of the trades that can transfer over are listed on this page:

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/index.html?page=working_in_alberta/mobility_equivalency.html

The apprenticeship coordinator that is currently working in the office is former military and he is very helpful. If you need anything just give them a call and they will help you out.

Trucktech-

I'm sorry about your bad experience.

Every veh maint section that I have been lucky enough to be associated with in my 27 years of service has been highly motivated, highly professional, had great morale and have managed (at least to my eyes) miracles in terms of repairing vehicles. Admittedly, this is all first line, so maybe second line is different.

While in no way downplaying your experience, I would humbly submit that perhaps that there is more to your trade than you have seen?

Well I've spent 8 years doing this now in 1st and 2nd line shops in both ends of the country. I have deployed to Afghanistan when it was still a combat mission. So at this point I think I have given it a fair chance to see what it is like. I'm not saying that it wasn't great at first, however over the last 4 years it has been easy to see the decline.

This is definitely my opinion on it however as I see a steady stream of releases coming from guys that I trust to work in the shop next to me and not many coming from guys who need to be babysat, I don't see theses issues being resolved anytime soon.  For me I really do enjoy the military as it has been apart of my life since I joined cadets at 12, I have tried to OT to infantry where I thought I may enjoy the job more as well I have tried to OT to a couple other trades over the last couple years. The current Outcap for the trade has never been good and a lot of people are trying to leave it. It is much quicker for me to VR from the military and join again as another trade then it is to wait for the Career Managers to  allow my OT to go through.  The only problem they are running into is that once people are out, they are much more hesitant to re-sign.

Just my thoughts on the trade. If you are set on joining by all means fill your boots. However this is the real life from someone who is in the shop everyday and not willing to just blow smoke to try and fill a position or walking by the shop floor thinking everyone is happy because we managed to get a radio working and can now listen to music.

Back