• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vehicle Technician ( merged )

News flash:  All vehicles break eventually.  I've owned Fords for years (trucks)  and loved them all.  Wallywagons (minivans) by definition, suck.  that arm has probably been cracked for months, don't you guys in NS have to get vehicles inspected annually?  If t was done recently, go to the jobber who did it, and rip him a new one.  If you're gonna do it yourself, you'll need jackstands, and basically disconnect all your lower suspension attachments.  Enjoy....

no we haven't had it inspected recently since it isn't due for one. Here they are every 2 years.

Definately lower control arm. Used on coil sprung vehicles, in conjunction with upper control arms and track/stabilizer bars. They are for the proper positioning of the axle, as the suspension is cycled up and down. Don't drive it until you get a new one, as your axle is now skewed in relation to the drive direction. You'll scrub your tires, snap an axle shaft, bind the driveshaft ect.
Good news is they are cheap, new or from a wrecker. Just get one and replace it. Bushing replacement would be a good idea too, but installation is easy as they are of a set length and not adjustable.

Thank you YukonJack!! Now that we know exactly what it is, we can call up our local wrecker and see if he has any(he said he has a bunch of windstars there, so we may be in luck).

Do you reccommend doing any other work, other than replacing the bushings, while we are under there?

Control arms should never break though - not without an impact to help them along - unless the thing was so heavily corroded that it rusted through and snapped, in which case I'd have a good hard look at the other ones too.

Disclaimer: I design and build suspension parts for race cars. See http://farnorthracing.com :D

DG

"It's basically a support arm, the proper ford terminology eludes me just now."

Eeeesh, see what happens when you combine insomnia, jet lag, waaaay too much coffee, and 20+ years in tracked vehicles?  I defer to those who know what the smeg they're talking about.

DG-41 said:
Control arms should never break though - not without an impact to help them along - unless the thing was so heavily corroded that it rusted through and snapped, in which case I'd have a good hard look at the other ones too.

Disclaimer: I design and build suspension parts for race cars. See http://farnorthracing.com :D

DG

Now I am curious if it was involved in an accident before we bought it. We have only owned it for 3 years so mayve with the drive across the US and the horrid potholes around here, if that just caused it to go. It was a west coast vehicle before it came out there, so who knows!

We will definitely check out the other ones too.

Thanks for the help!

Well, there are ways of checking.   Take down the VIN number and check to see if it was in an accident.   I forget right now, but know that there is a site/method for doing this.   Check out the Motor Veh Dept and see if they can do a trace for you.   You may have bought of rebuilt van that was written off by an Insurance Company after a major accident.

George Wallace said:
Well, there are ways of checking.   Take down the VIN number and check to see if it was in an accident.   I forget right now, but know that there is a site/method for doing this.   Check out the Motor Veh Dept and see if they can do a trace for you.   You may have bought of rebuilt van that was written off by an Insurance Company after a major accident.

It's called CARFAX, and it's about 30$.

Sappo said:
Plasma. cutter.

Sabotage!?!? One of those would definately do the job. But plasma cutters are fun - they'll cut through thick sheet-metal like a hot knife through butter.

with nearly 5 years as a car mechanics i've never seen any of those bars broken. Something MUST have happened. Check if the part has already been welded or heated with a torch or something. Looks like the rust has taken care of it too. My suggestion : take it to the garage and they'll install a junk yard part for you. You'll have a big deal unbolting all those rusty bolts under the car. Plus you'll probably need a wheel alignment after the repair. I would also suggest that you have a mechanic check the other parts of your rear suspension, as the shock it caused when it broke may have damaged some components.

By the way, having your car inspected every 2 years is not enough. you should have it inspected AT LEAST every 6 months. That way, you'll be able to do preventive repairs that will save you the trouble you're in right now.

Good luck! If you have questions, don't hesistate to ask me!

Cheers!

The last time my Van had a complete check up was before we moved here since we were going to be driving 6100km...and she checked out fine. I have an uncle that was working for Midas and he used to do my re3pairs and such for me, so it was alot easier, but now that i have no "connections" out here, I have to start paying full price for stuff, and that scares me..lol

I was told about a really good garage not far frm my house, so now I just have to get my work going so that I can pay for the repair bill....

Thanks for the advice.

Good day, I have underwent this process recently, your question "are qualifications recognized-- yes but with the exception that you complete 4yrs ojt plus your QL5; your C of C will verify this info for the Apprenticeship board here in Ontario. Alberta has a similar system as well. If you contact your local Apprenticeship Board they should be able to verify this information. The dilemma is that your training will not bring you to the same standard that an individual will study or be employed on. The average soldier in the 411 trade will build , repair, destroy everything from weedwackers to MBT's-- the average civilian will study one area of expertice and remain in that field (ie cars vs trucks and buses). This sets the stage as you will be expected to answer questions developed around the civilian training, difficult at the best of times. Comparably, the Veh Tech trade is very far behind in the times so you'll be expected to purchase your own trade manuals to assist your goal. The latest QL5 manual is up to date with the times but of course won't put you in the interprovincial standards. Don't get me wrong anyone in this trade one who pursues knowledge will reap the rewards in more ways than one. Good luck.

Hello,

I have just recently been advised by recruiting that i will be getting an offer in the next few weeks for vehicle tech. I'm doing a recruit school by-pass, but have had a hard time finding out exactly what will be involved in terms of training. My understanding is i will be skipping both BMQ and SQ at this point, and being loaded onto a Vehicle Tech Course.

I wanted to inquire if anyone is aware as to when the next course will be run, and really what to expect in the meantime. If i am being sworn in now, but for example the course doesn't start for 2-3 months, would i be placed directly into PRETCE? I have attempted to search the boards, and if i missed this information i do apologize.

Thank you in advance

new veh tech,

Unless it has changed in the month or so you will end up in that god forsaken place they call pretc and some of the people I have spoken to who are currently there have been waiting for approx.one year for there ql3 course. So the only way that I can see you not having to do time there in your situation would be if they offer you lwp (leave without pay) hope this helps you out.

New Veh Tech,
Yes, you will probably have to spend some time at PRETC; there's no way around that. The current course at vehicle company is the pilot course for the "Vehicle Tech Vision". Basically what that means is this,........... you'll be sitting at a computer working on 3D models with only 1/4 of your time actually turning a wrench.  82 tests in 36 weeks if I remember correctly. You'll be done alot sooner, but you lose alot of hands on training. Not sure when the next course load is coming in; probably in January at this point. Other than that, not much else to say. Hope this helps a bit.    Atre et Marte.

Just to say I'm starting Monday, on the old system, and I think there is one that starts in Feb.  Just putting it out there

Hey,
Be thankful you're getting in on the old system. I've got buddies on the current pilot course, and they've said there is a 40% failure rate amongst them right now. The old system rocks; lots of hands on. ( even though the training aids might be outdated, you still get to understand the basics)
6 more P.O's and I'm outta there.                    Later.

Back