• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vehicle Insurance during training

GUNS

Inactive
Reaction score
Question: what is normally done with vehicle insurance when you are sent out of province for pre-deployment training?

My insurance has a time limit as to how long I can be out of province, work related, before I have to get insurance in the province I am training in.

I am scheduled for deployment and will be out of my home province until  Oct.09. The obvious solution is to cancel my insurance in my home province and get new insurance in the province I am training in. I have to register my car also.

When I complete my rotation, I will have to do it all over again, when I return to my home province.

Is there other options? or is the obvious, my only route.

Unless you are changing your "Permanent Residence", you should have to do neither.  (No need to change your Registration, nor your Insurance if you have not changed your Home address.)  You are only temporarily/not permanently posted to where you are doing your pre-deployment trg.

If you were permanently posted to another province, it would be a different story.

If you have insurance with a company in operation across Canada, there is no need to change it from province to province.

sI don't know if it is currenty correct, but when I was involved in LE in Alberta there were concerns with ICBC for example.  They had a policy that if a vehicle licenced and insured through them was outside of the province for more than 30 days, the policy became null and void. 

That's the situation here. I appears that the insurance company does not consider your home address to be valid if you are out of province longer than 30 days.(work related)

They are aware about the Reserves and deployment. Guess the only thing to do is register the car and get insurance in the province I'm training in.

Odd that an Insurance company's policy can override that of the Province which licences and registers your vehicle.  I didn't think an Insurance Company would insure your vehicle, if it was not registered and licenced for the province in which they were insuring it (I could be wrong as I really don't have accurate knowledge of all policies out there.).  I would ask for more clarification from other channels, or change Insurance companies.  Do you get your insurance through a Broker, or just picked what you thought was the best Company and deal with them directly?

Have you thought of leaving your vehicle at home and renting instead?  It may sound expensive or far fetched, but in actuallity may be cheaper, if you have a couple of friends chip in for costs as well. 

I was added to my Fathers vehicle insurance policy until I purchased my own vehicle. I stayed with the same insurance company as my Dad.

Monday I will ask for documentation that explains the policy in regards to working away.

Sorry to hear you are havng grief.  ICBC were a pain to deal with.  They would not accept any intransit stickers from any other jurisdiction within the confines of BC, and they would not provide any coverage for their sticker outside of BC.  Made for headaches for the public on many an occasion.  Some kids just don't want to play nice in the sandbox with the other kids.  And everyone usually looks at Quebec as being one of "those" kids.  ICBC still dance to a different drummer so it would appear.

huh ???
Quebec based insurance cos have never given me grief over temp assignments in other provinces.

geo said:
huh ???
Quebec based insurance cos have never given me grief over temp assignments in other provinces.

I was refering to the viewpoint it is usually Quebec that is (fairly or unfairly) given the reputation of not playing nice with others.  You are correct that in my experience of dealing with vehicles/permits from Quebec when I was in LE there was never an issue of coverage.  ICBC was the only troublemaker in the playground.

I had no issues with ICBC, when I was conducting my submarine training in Halifax I had my vehicle with me for 9 months.  ICBC told me I was covered as long as my policy was current, but once it expired I would have to get insurance in Nova Scotia.

Given that you were still maintaining a permanent residence in BC and were only on TD out east, it should not have been an issue.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I had no issues with ICBC, when I was conducting my submarine training in Halifax I had my vehicle with me for 9 months.  ICBC told me I was covered as long as my policy was current, but once it expired I would have to get insurance in Nova Scotia.

Things have changed from my day then.  But then it was the 80's when I was dealing with ICBC issues and coverage or lack thereof.  Glad to see they have come around.  The typical sort of clients I was dealing with were those in the trucking industry on the whole, but I did see the occasional car and pick-up needing permits for getting across the rest of Canada.

Seeing as this is a little old, but I thought I'd ask my question here.

So coming up in May I graduate from school, and by June I am prohibited to CFSATE in Borden.  Meaning I cant move my affect nor family members.  Since I am going to school there, does anyone know if I can keep my insurance from Manitoba.  I have already contacted my broker, and they advised I get papers indicating I'm taking school there, and obtain a "Student Sticker", but they also stressed about the provincial policies, and since I will be going to Ontario and then Alberta for training, they have private insurance.  So I'm not even sure who to contact in those provinces.

When all is done for training and school I will receive my COS date, sometime Mid May 2010.  Is it possible to keep my insurance from Manitoba, up until that date?

Back