• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vac claim. Questions

Concur, any dealings I have had have been handled in the most courteous way. Recently received a call confirming my having gotten a copy of the approval letter concerning my latest and longest claim. The operator was kind to a fault, apologising for the delays etc. and actually opened my file to give me the expected dollar value. Not her fault that things go sloooooow. the fault belongs much higher in the food chain!

Adjudication is backlogged. The new CIB and the hiring and training of more personnel to fill vacancies created by previous downsizing is consuming resources. VAC HR is also severely backlogged, so it's having a domino effect.

How long does it take VAC to train their Adjudicators to just say "No"? ;D

Ah, blackberet17, You have been looking at my file. How did you know? The Rifleman62 give it away?

:paranoid:

Sorry Rifleman62, I couldn't resist!

But seriously, last I heard from some friends in the affected areas, the backlogs (in hiring, in training, in processing) are widespread. The new policies and other changes are creating further issues, but the proverbial light is at the end of the tunnel.

blackberet17 said:
... but the proverbial light is at the end of the tunnel.

The light is ALWAYS at the end of the tunnel - it's just a matter of will it be seen in time before the train runneth us over?

Sorry Blackberet - I couldn't resist!!

Hahahaha.... that about sums it up, don't it?

So I am 38 weeks in now with one suspended and two in step 3. Gonna have a fight ahead of me. The suspension is the one that gives me the Statutory Priority Hire vice Regulatory. This is a critical point for me as there are already 2 reg pri hires in the pool I want to be in.

Yuk.

Hello, new to the site.Ā  I've been searching for knee injuries. I was paid out for patella femoral syndrome, I also had a scope done on the same knee because of a torn meniscus.Ā  Is that considered a separate injury and can I claim it.Ā 

exarmy said:
Hello, new to the site.Ā  I've been searching for knee injuries. I was paid out for patella femoral syndrome, I also had a scope done on the same knee because of a torn meniscus.Ā  Is that considered a separate injury and can I claim it.

Not sure if it would be considered a separate claim, however if the tear is related to your previous diagnosis (key is "related to") then at the very least you can ask that they revisit your original application for a reassessment. Nothing ventured, nothing gained right?

exarmy said:
Hello, new to the site.Ā  I've been searching for knee injuries. I was paid out for patella femoral syndrome, I also had a scope done on the same knee because of a torn meniscus.Ā  Is that considered a separate injury and can I claim it.

If I have my knee anatomy correct, it is a separate injury. Patella femoral syndrome (PFS) is a pain syndrome due to contact between the back of the kneecap (aka patella) with the femur (thigh bone). A torn meniscus is a tear of one the two menisci (C-shaped pieces of cartilage) in your knee, which act as a cushion between your shin- and thigh-bones.

The nature of injury is different as well. PFS is typically overuse from lots of running and jumping, whereas a torn menisci is more traumatic, usually a forceful twist or rotation of the knee, or repetitive movement like bending and kneeling.

So, yeah, I think it's two separate conditions, for which you can submit a second claim. As BinRat55 mentions, it's also possible the PFS led to the torn meniscus, but I'm no doctor :) in VAC terms, you would then say the torn meniscus is a consequence of (or "is related to") the PFS. You'll need a medical opinion to support the claim.

The two claims, if the second one is successful, will most likely see the two conditions (PFS and the tear) grouped together ("bracketed") for assessments purposes (the % you receive).

Contact the OVO. 44 weeks is ridiculous.

Step 3 is decision forthcoming - which should not take six weeks.

IMO, anyway.

blackberet17 said:
Contact the OVO. 44 weeks is ridiculous.

Step 3 is decision forthcoming - which should not take six weeks.

IMO, anyway.

I agree, it is a bit much. The biggest issue I have with it all is that I fear i'll be released (May) before I get a decision. If I get an award, great but I am more looking for VAC to recognize my disabilities for med coverage... I take a lot of pills and needles. Needles alone are $750 a month and SunLife will not cover...

Yuk.

And I did contact the OVA - back in Jan / Feb / Mar...

Contact the Honourable Minister Hehr. You've already started working your way up the CoC, he's pretty much next in line.

blackberet17 said:
Contact the Honourable Minister Hehr. You've already started working your way up the CoC, he's pretty much next in line.

Lol! I like going UP the chain, I just hate it when it comes back DOWN!

I think i'll do just that. Or maybe Walt...

BinRat55 said:
I agree, it is a bit much. The biggest issue I have with it all is that I fear i'll be released (May) before I get a decision. If I get an award, great but I am more looking for VAC to recognize my disabilities for med coverage... I take a lot of pills and needles. Needles alone are $750 a month and SunLife will not cover...

Yuk.

And I did contact the OVA - back in Jan / Feb / Mar...

blackberet17 said:

BinRat55 said:
Lol! I like going UP the chain, I just hate it when it comes back DOWN!

I think i'll do just that. Or maybe Walt...

Why wait what's the worst they can do to you....release you...lol!

NFLD Sapper said:
Why wait what's the worst they can do to you....release you...lol!

No I said "Walt" as in Walt Natynczyk...

So quick update - VAC called me yesterday. They changed my "Coronary Issues" claim to " myocardial infarction" and re-opened it. I think it's a good thing. Also, I finally have a decision on my other two. He said "favourable" which I thinking is good, but couldn't tell me any more than that. He said i have to wait till I receive the letters in the mail!

Then, the Ombudsman office called me (like, 30 mins later!) They were extremely apologetic for the wait time to decision (almost 50 weeks!) They couldn't tell me anything more either (understandable) but she did say that they are starting a new trial project - for those who have a MY VAC ACCOUNT will see decision letters within 3 days online. I will know everything NLT Tuesday.

Back