• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USS FITGERALD Collision: June 17, 2017

BZ to all involved in this. They are upholding one of the highest tradition of the western navies: Service first.

This solidarity is exactly the illustration of something some of us in these forum who are from the Navy keep telling you. Where the Army often has fierce loyalty to one's regiment, the Air Force to one's community, in the Navy, loyalty is first and foremost to the actual naval service. Ship, unit, school, base or station comes second - always - and the good of the service overrides everything else.

To top it off the Chief of Naval Operations and the Chief Petty Officer of Navy visited the USS Fitzgerlad crew today.They also wanted to thank the JSDF and Coast Guard for their help during the aftermath of the collision.

Interesting little article on Fox that also looks at the time of the collision. I noted the item at the end which states that the vessel on the port side should give way to the one on the starboard.

Reuters pointed out that vessels at sea are supposed to give way to ships on their starboard. The report said that even though the collision occurred in Japanese waters, under maritime rules, the u.S. could claim some authority

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/06/20/uss-fitzgerald-us-coast-guard-to-interview-crew-container-ship-in-collision.html

This would ordinarily put the duty on the Fitzgerald to steer clear of the ACX Chrystal.

From the little that I know of the rules of navigation at sea (all of what I know can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Regulations_for_Preventing_Collisions_at_Sea) the ACX Chrystal would have the duty instead if she was overtaking the Fitzgerald.

Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules ... ... an overtaking vessel must keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken. "Overtaking" means approaching another vessel at more than 22.5 degrees abaft[17] her beam, i.e., so that at night, the overtaking vessel would see only the stern light and neither of the sidelights of the vessel being overtaken.[11][page needed] Note that the opening words of this rule make clear that this rule overrides all other rules.

Looks to me like this whole thing is going to come down to who was overtaking who and at what angle they were approaching each other.

Any comments from those of you with real knowledge of the sea?

:cheers:

Judging by the damage, the ACX was overtaking the Fitz from the starboard rear at about 50 degrees UNLESS the Fitz sped up in an effort to get ahead of the ACX.

Fox is sensational in its reporting, but it's not necessarily that straight forward.

The rules (crossing situation vs overtaking situation) that may be at issue here are for ships in sight of one another. At this point, we don't even know (at least I haven't seen it described anywhere) the prevailing visibility conditions at the time and location of the accident: Could the two vessels see each other? If not, the crossing rule and the overtaking rule are out the window and, under rule 19, each ship involved must manoeuvre to avoid a collision.

You may want to look at my earlier post and to some of Lumber posts above also. Remember that at sea, we deal with relative tracks, that is there is a resulting track that is the effect of the combination of both ship's movement. It is that resulting track that determines many situations. One such effect is that, as a general result but not always, two ships on a collision course will create a resulting "relative" track that will be on a constant bearing from one another. As I described earlier, when that constant bearing is at or near the cut off point for being in an overtaking or crossing situation, it is sometimes difficult to assess the situation. That is why Rule 13 states that if you are not sure, you should act as if overtaking.

Does that resolve everything? No, not necessarily.

For instance, the Rules - ALL the Rules - apply when there is a risk of collision.  If no risk exists, then no rule applies. But things don't stay static at sea and situations evolve from normal operation of the vessels. What if (and I am speculating here, so don't take any of this as being the situation) the destroyer (D) was steaming along, was seen by the Container ship (CS) on its port bow, and the CS calculated no risk as they would pass the D with a mile and a half CPA (closest point of approach), but then, at three miles separation, the D made a 15 degrees planned alteration of course to starboard, creating the risk of collision?  Now we are all supposed to pay attention while at sea, but in practice, merchant ship owners are cheap, so there is likely only a single officer on the bridge and a helmsman, who is only paying attention to his heading, not traffic. So they fail to notice the new circumstances until it's too late. Etc.

Also, there are other rules applicable that can come into play, such as Rule 17 (a) and (b): Basically, when it becomes clear to you that the vessel that does not have the right of way is not manoeuvering, the stand on vessel may take any action it sees fit to avoid the collision (i.e. it is relieved from the obligation to stand on its course and speed), when it is clear that no action by the vessel who must give way will avoid the collision by itself, then the stand on vessel must also manoeuvre to avoid the collision. These two rules combined are some times referred to as the "there is no excuse for a collision at sea" rules  ;D.

Then, you have to take into consideration Rule 2 on general responsibility, which is the good mariner's practice rule. Was there a breach of it here? Who knows at this time. But a sub (b) of that rule states: "In construing and complying with these Rules due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these Rules necessary to avoid immediate danger." Now, more junior naval officers may not think in such terms at this point of their career, but as I have indicated above, Arleigh Burke destroyers are "stealthy" radar signature ships and that is certainly a ship limitation I would take into consideration - together with the fact that as a warship I may not be exhibiting the lights of a ship my size (for us in Canada, many UK warships too, and I don't know about the Arleigh Burke but suspect it is the case, we show a single masthead light - which would normally be associated with a ship smaller than 50 meters in length) and I am not sending out AIS info identifying me as a destroyer - in thinking about how I must be perceived by traffic around me. I would then take that into consideration in planning my own actions.

Anyway, FJAG, all this to say that it may not be as simple, clear or straightforward as Fox news makes it sound and the actual application of the rules at sea is not always clear and unambiguous, so until all the facts are known and clearly established, it is better not to cast a final judgement on liability, if any, of either party involved. 

crap...I lost my post...

Summary:

This things might start with Rule 1: governments deeming certain vessels to be 'special construction' (i.e. warships) and thus not being lit at night or sounding signals IAW a vessel of her dimensions;

Rule 27 might apply - if Fitzgerald was Restricted in her Ability to Manoeuvre, she would be the 'privileged vessel' in certain situations; finally:

The Collision Regulations do not apply to multiple 'situations' applying concurrently to either vessel.  If there was another radar contact or light that either vessel thought was a third vessel to which they were already reacting, there is no clear rule for that except what OGDB's comments mentioned, which vastly complicated things.

And after all of that, then add the too-common Bridge Resource Management failures into the mix that Lumber mentioned...

I'll start by saying that I know nothing of navigation at sea. I thought I saw a picture of the Crystal's route and it seemed a tad convoluted. Almost wandering with no sense of direction. Was there anything odd about the way she was maneuvering, before the collision?

Unless Crystal approached from behind and decided to pass the DDG. Then they noticed the Fitz and hit that ship,then adjusted course away from the Fitz.

tomahawk6 said:
Unless Crystal approached from behind and decided to pass the DDG. Then they noticed the Fitz and hit that ship,then adjusted course away from the Fitz.

I'm not sure that works given the damage geometry. It looks like the Fitz was struck on the starboard side, by something coming towards it. The Crystal made contact on the port side, near the nose. That makes it appear that they were traveling abreast at some point, and one vessel swung into the other. A crossing maneuver is another possibility, but I don't see Fitz purposefully turning so tightly with Crystal that close. Odds on that Crystal banked to port and not registering the size of Fitz (actual or radar), smacked into her.

Leadership and Damage Control video. Its very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un01zw62n70

Points to consider.

1.  USS Fitzgerald's track is not shown on the AIS because normally warships do not have their transponders on. 

2.  Commercial Nav RADARs may have discarded the 'paint' from Fitzgerald because there was no associated AIS overlay.  I do not know what model of Nav Radar the Crystal was operating, but this could be the case.

3.  With no AIS contact, a possibly 'filtered out' RADAR paint, and unknown weather conditions at the time, it is possible that the bridge crew on the Crystal had no idea there was even another ship out there, and with the small size of bridge crews on commercial vessels nowadays, a reduced number of people on the bridge at that time of night would not be unthinkable.

4.  The Fitzgerald *SHOULD* have been tracking the inbound ship, and their various RADAR systems should have given them the multiple redundancy to spot the danger long before it hit.  The only reason I can think that this might not have been the case would have been if the crew had been doing a simulation of some sort on watch and the OPS system was switched into a Sim mode which may have input false targets as part of the 'game' and they didn't realize until too late that there was a REAL target way too close.

The apparent stumbling around in the dark of the Crystal...the question of did it happen before or after the collision?  I don't know....the purported location of the hit WRT the reported AIS track of the Crystal seems to draw questions that make one think about 5th column issues, but there's been a report of a 50 minute delay in reporting the collision by the Crystal...which might account for the funny looking course changes and such.

I don't know.

To be honest, I am extremely impressed that after getting struck in that way that they were not literally cut in two and sunk on the spot.  The fact that the crew pulled together and got into port is simply amazing.  Working at the DC school last year, I saw some interior photos of some recent groundings and other internal ship damage....I'm honestly hoping to see some of the shoring photos from this incident, and figure that the bulbous bow of the Crystal left a HUGE round hole punched in the side of the ship, well below the waterline.  The damage is likely to be far more massive than what you see in the images.

I suspect that the keel of the ship is actually bent as well.  We shall see how that plays out and whether or not they actually fix the ship or not.  I suspect that they will initiate repairs, but I also expect to see the ship brought home in the same way the USS Cole was, carried on top of another ship.

NS

Career wise the skipper Commander Benson will retire at his current rank.

https://japantoday.com/category/national/big-questions-in-us-warship's-collision-with-container-ship

WHAT HAPPENED?

A. Experts generally agree that the Philippine-flagged ACX Crystal, coming from behind, tried to pass the USS Fitzgerald on the right side. Extensive damage to the destroyer's starboard side and that to the container ship on its port side suggest that, but they say it is too early to determine responsibility. The container ship might have failed to spot the destroyer and rammed into it, or the destroyer somehow might have made a sudden move to the right. There is also a possibility the container ship might have tried to cut in front or in back of the destroyer and accidentally slammed into its side.

"There is almost no mistake the container was behind the destroyer, though it is still premature to decide which ship bumped into the other," said Tetsuo Kotani, a maritime security expert at the Japan Institute of International Affairs. "The damage to the destroyer's side suggests the container's bow slammed into it at a significant speed."

WHAT IS THE DAMAGE AND WHAT DOES IT SUGGEST?

The 8,315-ton destroyer's starboard side was badly damaged, with a mechanical room and two sleeping compartments destroyed and flooded. Navy officials say the ship also has a big gash on the bottom. Damage to the container ship is concentrated on its bow area, including a sharp horizontal cut across it, scratches and dents on the port side fence and hull. Coast guard officials said the container ship has a speed-increasing bulbous bow that sticks out in front of the ship below the waterline, suggesting that part stabbed the destroyer's bottom, allowing the seawater to gush in.

WHY DID THE SHIPS COME SO CLOSE?

Two possible causes are a radar failure or negligence by a night watchman — on either ship or both — that might have caused a delay or failure to spot the other ship. Every ship is equipped with radar or other electronic ship tracking device to alert against close encounters, and crewmembers on watch duty provide visual observation. U.S. Navy Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin said an unspecified number of sailors were on watch duty the night of the collision. The gray paint of the destroyer blends into the darkness and makes it harder to spot at night.

WHAT WENT WRONG?

Experts say it could have been a lack of communication between the two ships, or a misunderstanding of the situation as to who should have the right of way. Coast guard officials said they are looking for a recording device on the container ship that could help them determine whether it communicated with the destroyer before the collision. Unlike cars on highways, ships encounter each other from all directions, and confusion can lead to a wrong decision on which side is "give-way" or "stand-on." Under maritime traffic rules, the ship on the right — in this case, the container ship — gets to proceed, and one to the left is the "give-way" ship.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Anyway, FJAG, all this to say that it may not be as simple, clear or straightforward as Fox news makes it sound  ...

Is anything ever as simple, clear or straightforward as Fox makes it sound?  ;D

The Navy has named Radm [lower half] Brian Fort as lead investigator for the Fitgerald inquiry.

http://www.c7f.navy.mil/Media/News/Display/Article/1226464/us-navy-identifies-lead-for-uss-fitzgerald-jagman-investigation/

In other news the Crystal was operating on autopilot. Is that unusual as it was on approach to its destination in congested coastal waters ?

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/freighter-autopilot-hit-us-destroyer/

The deadly collision between a U.S. destroyer and a container ship June 17 took place while the freighter was on autopilot, according to Navy officials.

The Philippines-flagged cargo ship ACX Crystal was under control of a computerized navigation system that was steering and guiding the container vessel, according to officials familiar with preliminary results of an ongoing Navy investigation.

Investigators so far found no evidence the collision was deliberate.

With all the course changes as previously discussed, was the autopilot working correctly or were those changes programmed in to coincide with a berthing time?

If the shipping company is at fault, can the US government sue for the repairs to the Fitzgerald and compensation for the casualties? Can the Fitz be repaired as the damage was near the keel?

Its been mentioned in the news that the ship was probably on auto pilot at the time which in itself is not unusual, however the auto pilot could of failed causing the ship to possibility veer into Fitzgerald. The fact that the ship returned to base course for 30min before circling back suggests either the crew didn't know how to disengage the autopilot or there was no one on the bridge.

Chief Stoker said:
Its been mentioned in the news that the ship was probably on auto pilot at the time which in itself is not unusual, however the auto pilot could of failed causing the ship to possibility veer into Fitzgerald. The fact that the ship returned to base course for 30min before circling back suggests either the crew didn't know how to disengage the autopilot or there was no one on the bridge.

Even so, you would think that Fitzgerald would have been able to get out of the way. It's not like the Crystal could turn on a dime. What does it say about Fitzgerald's bridge that Crystal as able to get that close so quickly?

Rifleman62 said:
With all the course changes as previously discussed, was the autopilot working correctly or were those changes programmed in to coincide with a berthing time?

If the shipping company is at fault, can the US government sue for the repairs to the Fitzgerald and compensation for the casualties? Can the Fitz be repaired as the damage was near the keel?

This may explain it.

Prior to the collision the ACX Chrystal was moving at a fairly steady speed of around 33 KPH on a straight course. About fifteen minutes before the collision she made a small course change to port after rounding the Izu Peninsula in order to steer more toward Tokyo and then again steamed in a straight line before the collision. All the major course changes came subsequently now that the timeline is fixed at a 0130 hrs collision.

49b4c873d4ad3f6e649b77aff3e38c1d5a46bd7c_1_690x458.jpg

I've seen a more detailed video that shows a gentle direction change to starboard at 0130 for a minute or so before the violent turn to starboard which I've interpreted as her bouncing off the Fitzgerald before she deliberately turned. See at around 1:01.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1b58yelh_c

Sooo....has collision, reduces speed and direction away for a bit, then turns around and comes back to see if other ship still floating, then leaves, then reports accident.....at that point what else could it have done?

Back