• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Using our military muscle - from the front page of the Globe and Mail

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
I am giving this, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act is from the front page of the Globe and Mail, entitled “consider this,” it’s own topic because I think it merits discussion on its own because the Globe and Mail is, de facto, a major Canadian opinion leader and this opinion will be controversial:

(I cannot find it in the electronic edition: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/)

{consider this}
Using our military muscle

After Afghanistan, what next for our military? Many Canadians want to pull back, and it’s easy to understand why. The mission – with too much investment in traditional forces and too much trust in unreliable allies – has not gone as we had hoped, and more soldiers have died than in any conflict since the Korean War.

But we cannot revert to a romantic Pearsonian ideal. The battles of the future will be waged in failed states and by terrorists inspired by twisted belief systems. Blue helmets deter neither.

The peace must be made, not kept, and Canada cannot shy away from bloody conflict zones. If we are not willing to deploy the military injustice will prevail: dead judges, meaning the death of the rule of law. A pirate riddled Somali shoreline, auguring the death of commerce. A porous Arctic, risking the death of Canadian sovereignty. And legions of raped women in the Congo, signalling the death of our common humanity.

We will need to be armed and ready to join UN, NATO and other missions and restore order. And Afghanistan has made us ready. We are fighting and enemy that wears no uniform, and we are helping subjugated peoples rebuild roads, schools and courthouses. That has given us the muscle, knowledge and logistical expertise the world respects and needs.

Canada’s interests are global. Let us take full advantage of our military strength – and, quite literally, choose our battles.

Perhaps the reason this (apparently) is not on the Good Grey Globe’s electronic edition is because the paper’s publisher and editor-in-chief know that the Toronto Liberal/NDP readership will be absolutely beside themselves with rage. This position is diametrically opposed to everything in which the loony left puts its faith – Saint Stephen Staples et al will be foaming at the mouth and threatening to man the barricades.

But the Globe’s position is both sound, as policy, and reasonable in political terms.  It spells out what we should do: maintain an effective CF and, carefully, based on our vital interests and our own values of “common humanity,” carefully pick our missions; and why. I hope the Government of Canada and the Liberal Party of Toronto Canada both listen.

Edit: typo

Very interesting catch, ERC - was it an editorial of sorts, or was there a byline as well?

Perhaps the reason this (apparently) is not on the Good Grey Globe’s electronic edition is because the paper’s publisher and editor-in-chief know that the Toronto Liberal/NDP readership will be absolutely beside themselves with rage.
Agreed - it'll make for interesting reading in the coming letters to the editor pages.

Thanks for sharing.

Appears to be a sort of editorial - no byline so I assume it is the responsibility of the publisher or editor-in-chief or editorial board. That gives it extra value as an opinion making piece.

If past should guide the present, this Globe's argument should be readily understandable and agreeable to Iggy, lest he has been hi"jack"ed by the dark side.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from On Track magazine, is another point of view by Dr. (and LCol (Ret’d) Douglas Bland:

http://cda-cdai.ca/cdai/uploads/cdai/2008/12/ontrack15n3.pdf
The Role of Canadian Soldiers in International Peace Operations After 2011

by Dr. Douglas Bland

Dr. Douglas Bland is Professor and Chair of the Defence Management Studies Program in the School of Policy Studies, Queen’s University. His research is concentrated in the fields of defence policy making and management at national and international levels, the organization and functioning of defence ministries, and civil-military relations. He is a Member of the Board of Directors of the CDA Institute.

The following article is adapted from remarks made by Dr. Bland to the House of Commons Standing Committee on National Defence on May 6, 2010, during its review and study of the role of Canadian soldiers in international peace operations after 2011.

My main point for the committee is that a study of “the future of peace operations” that begins from the premise that peace operations or peacekeeping are military operations distinct from war-fighting sets up a false dichotomy that may diminish the study’s influence in the formulation of Canada’s future defence policies.

Peace operations and peacekeeping operations are forms of warfare in which––as in all the various forms of warfare––means and tactics are adapted to meet the needs of particular circumstances. To set these operations outside the realities of warfare confuse policy and defence planning and raises unrealistic expectations in our community.

As we have seen in the Afghanistan campaign these confusions can hinder the operations of the Canadian Forces (CF) in the field and harm Canada’s national interests.

Scholars have for a very long time described warfare as occurring along a spectrum of violence. At the lowest end one might place “unstable peace” or ceasefires during conflicts. At the high end we find “total war” with few limits to the scale or ferocity of combat.

Examples of operations conducted at the low end of the spectrum include the earliest large-scale United Nations peacekeeping missions in the Middle East (1956 and continuing) and in Cyprus (1964 and continuing), when lightly armed forces were deployed in situations where the likelihood of armed conflict seemed low. At the higher end of the spectrum we find the world wars, and along the spectrum we find so-called “limited wars,” for instance, in Korea (1950 and continuing), the Middle East (1956, 1967, 1976) and in Lebanon more recently. All wars, as defined by their particular characteristics, can be placed here and there along the low-high conflict spectrum.

Wars that share particular characteristics often assume particular modes of conduct and tactics. For instance, urban warfare, guerrilla warfare, revolutionary warfare and civil warfare have their own defining characteristics and thus often their own defining modes of combat. However, they are all wars by general definition: “they have their own grammar, but not their own logic.” In other words, they are identified by their particular means and modes, not as operations set aside from the general circumstances and demands of warfare.

Thus peacekeeping and peace operations too are not distinct from warfare; rather, they are another form of military operations and have their own grammar, but not their own logic.

When we assume in our modern circumstances that these are peace operations because they occur in particular circumstances, under the direction of international authorities, and use particular tactics and modes of operations and are, therefore, not wars, then we make a significant error.

Moreover, when we assume that all future peace operations must be stuffed into the configuration of 1950s-1960s UN peacekeeping operations, then we make a dangerous error as well.

Let me support these remarks with two illustrations from CF military operations conducted between 1990 and 2010. The CF were deployed into the former Yugoslavia in 1991 under a UN blue flag and equipped for that mission on the assumption that it was a “peacekeeping operation.” The combat units arrived in theatre with a mere six rounds of rifle ammunition for each solider. They almost immediately came under fire from well-equipped local forces. For ten years these units attempted to conduct peacekeeping operations inside a conventional war. The Liberal government of the day refused to acknowledge this fact and sacrificed the lives of 25 soldiers and created scores of seriously wounded casualties.

Today, the CF are involved in a war in Afghanistan; at the unit level it is as deadly a war as any we have fought across the world, and it is conducted with every conventional weapon the CF owns. Yet in the midst of this war CF soldiers and Canadian public servants are conducting complex peace operations––development and humanitarian missions.

Our Afghan mission cannot be labelled as a war or a peace operation; rather, it is a conflict mission we are waging with the means and methods appropriate to its particular circumstances.

The questions this Committee is addressing and the recommendations that this Committee will make are important. But a study that reaches conclusions aimed at influencing future defence policies based on the notion that peace operations are separate and distinct from warfare will be less credible.

The international environment in which the CF can expect to operate in the future will not allow for the deployment of peacekeeping forces not prepared at the outset for the rigours of combat among the people in disintegrating states and communities.

I would hope this committee will break with the past and be the first to boldly alert Canadians to the operational realities and the limitations of third-generation peace operations and the dangers they present to the men and women of the CF. ©

This reinforces the Globe and Mail’s position that “battles of the future” will be neither classic conventional wars nor baby-blue beret style peacekeeping – they will be, as Dr. Bland suggests, just ‘operations’ with their own grammar but not their own, unique logic.

After Afghanistan, what next for our military? Many Canadians want to pull back, and it’s easy to understand why. The mission – with too much investment in traditional forces and too much trust in unreliable allies – has not gone as we had hoped,

And it that single sentence lies the whole tale.  No matter where troops are sent, at some point in time the prevailing opinion will be that things "aren't as we hoped".

Surely the problem is getting "people", at all levels, to see the necessity of powering through?

Running from Afghanistan in the hope of finding another "easier" tasking will not solve the problems as our enemies will only learn from what worked in Afghanistan and apply those lessons universally.  The Enemy too has its Lessons Learned Centre.

So shouldn't the Globe, as an Opinion Leader, be beating the drum to force the politicians to stay in Afghanistan until the "problem" is solved?  Even if that means a Germany, Japan, Korea, Cyprus .... type of commitment?

No matter where soldiers are sent soldiers will die.  If we expect soldiers to fight "a l'outrance" shouldn't we be prepared to make a similar commitment as a society?  Otherwise dispatching troops becomes akin to organizing the Grey Cup while anticipating real corpses.  Vaguely Romanesque.

I think one needs to consider the middle of the sentence. The mission did not, indeed, "go as we had hoped" because, in some part, we didn't use enough of all the forces we needed and because our allies, beginning with the USA, were and still are unreliable.

The problem, however, wasn't too much 'traditional forces' - we never, ever had enough of those - it was an imbalance of those too few traditional forces and far, far, far too few non-traditional forces. We needed, just for example, more of the original liaison and mentoring teams - at all levels from Kabul to village - and they should always have been military teams until the security issue was much better settled than it is even now. One of the key battles that Canada 'lost' was fought between Canadians in the Pearkes Building and Canadians in the Pearson Building and Canadians in the Langevin Building. The Pearson and Langevin Buildings won and Canada lost. We needed, and only lately have had, bigger, better more active special forces using Canadian generated intelligence because US and NATO intelligence appears, to me (an outsider) to have been consistently sub-standard. I have heard, rumour net, that when we provide our own Canadian commander with our own Canadian intelligence he is much better informed. Finally we lost, because we never properly 'fought,' the PR war. Not the operational information warfare programme in theatre - although it does matter - but the real, big information ‘war’ that was fought against the mission by e.g. the media and the commentariat in Canada. Now, readers will know that I have a distaste for the military fighting the media war – but I do not have the same distaste for DND fighting it. When we did ‘engage’ we used the wrong tool (Rick Hillier) too much. Hillier was superb at speaking to soldiers and their families and, through them , to all Canadians, but he was a little less than subtle and he was never able to engage e.g. Jeffrey Simpson of the Globe and Mail who uttered absolute nonsense about the mission but was never adequately challenged by the right people – like some of our own friendly professors and columnists.

I think I understand, at least in part, why we lost the liaison and mentoring battle – from the cabinet and Clerk of the Privy Council on down, people with real power were uncomfortable with the fact, and it was a fact, that DND had displaced DFAIT as the ‘engine’ of Canadian foreign policy. The Pearson Building gang had to be put back in the ‘game’ and they had to be seen to be playing a leading role. Mentoring the government in Kabul and Kandahar City was an obvious, but poor, choice for them to ‘show leadership.’ I also think I understand why we never had enough SOF and intelligence resources: we didn’t ‘buy’ them 15 or 20 years ago, when they might have been ready for use in 2006 and beyond. I don’t understand why we never fought, much less won, the PR war.

I agree with Kirkhill that Canadians (like Americans, Australians and Brits) will never like a long, long, painfully slow war, but it is not clear to me that we cannot – next time – show ‘better’ results throughout the mission, thereby limiting Canadians’ natural disenchantment. We can do better if, and it is a HUGE IF, we spend enough now – before that next mission on conventional and unconventional forces and on a PR machine.

As usual, great analysis ERC - I'm going to augment only one of your points, though.

E.R. Campbell said:
.... Finally we lost, because we never properly 'fought,' the PR war. Not the operational information warfare programme in theatre - although it does matter - but the real, big information ‘war’ that was fought against the mission by e.g. the media and the commentariat in Canada. Now, readers will know that I have a distaste for the military fighting the media war – but I do not have the same distaste for DND fighting it. When we did ‘engage’ we used the wrong tool (Rick Hillier) too much. Hillier was superb at speaking to soldiers and their families and, through them , to all Canadians, but he was a little less than subtle and he was never able to engage e.g. Jeffrey Simpson of the Globe and Mail who uttered absolute nonsense about the mission but was never adequately challenged by the right people – like some of our own friendly professors and columnists ....
Let's not forget those at the head of the responsibility line when it comes to communicating with Canadians:
.... Ministers are the principal spokespersons for the Government of Canada. They provide leadership in establishing communication priorities and themes. They approve the corporate communication plan of the institutions they head. In consultation with their deputies, they determine their institution’s priorities, objectives and requirements ....

I agree that ministers are responsible, but it's not as though they don't have hired help. What the hell was she - and folks like her - doing for the past five years?

I agree with you on the communications issue ERC, and I can see what you mean about needing a better assortment of tools in the tool bag.  Perhaps a magnifying glass and scalpel to go along with the sledgehammers.

E.R. Campbell said:
I agree that ministers are responsible, but it's not as though they don't have hired help. What the hell was she - and folks like her - doing for the past five years?
A not insignificant part of the answer, for sure, but I'd bet a loony that the political leadership didn't have to wait for the "hired help" to get moving to communicate more than they did.

As a current applicant (med tech) this dissection is really cool to know.
I need to read the newspapers more often

I’m not quite sure what’s going on at the (normally, apparently anti-military) Good Grey Globe, but here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail is another front page piece with several good, solid ideas:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/time-to-lead/military/canadas-next-battle/article1768573/
Canada's next battle

CAMPBELL CLARK

Kandahar— From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010

The wire that surrounds the sprawling, city-sized base at Kandahar Airfield is being pushed back to make room for more rows of armoured vehicles, barracks and arsenals. The surge of thousands of additional U.S. troops is complete and a new campaign for war-scarred Kandahar is on.

The main Canadian battle group of about 1,000 troops, which once fought across Kandahar province, is now concentrated in one tough rural district, Panjwaii, fighting alongside more U.S. and Afghan soldiers in a push to clear out a few hundred hard-core insurgents in a hide-and-seek war. But locals who braced for coalition offensives earlier this month have seen Canadians clear insurgents out of Panjwaii villages such as Zangabad and Talokan several times in recent years, only to see the Taliban return after their exit.

“Many Taliban and many ordinary people were killed, many gardens and orchards destroyed, and many soldiers killed,” Door Mohammad, a 49-year-old taxi driver from Talokan said three weeks ago, before the latest offensive. “At the end, the post was empty, and the Canadians gone, we don’t know where. And now Talokan area is an important place for the Taliban ... there is sort of Taliban-like government like the last time.”

Few would bet there will be a ticker-tape parade through the streets of Kandahar city when Canadian combat troops leave next July. A last rotation of Canadian Forces troops will dismantle equipment and ship it home. By then, senior Canadian officers in Kandahar hope the surge will have dramatically changed the momentum, but U.S., coalition and Afghan National Army troops will fight on.

Afghanistan has been a tough war – the 152 fallen Canadian soldiers, billions spent, years of seemingly fruitless attempts to displace the Taliban, and the gnawing sense Afghans’ lives have not improved. When the troops come home next summer, most Canadians would be happy if it marks the end of nasty foreign military adventures.

But the irony is that years of deadly war have forged a Canadian army the world needs: a small but mobile, technologically-advanced, combat-hardened force, with big strategic-lift planes to transport a force into the conflict zone, helicopters to move around it, intelligence and pinpoint strikes of special forces, and the ability to mount communications and command-and-control.

“We have the capability, the credibility, the command-and-control experience to deliver what a lot of other nations just don’t have,” said Major-General David Fraser, the Canadian who commanded 10,000 coalition troops in southern Afghanistan in 2006.

Canada’s military will leave Afghanistan with a bitter taste in its mouth about the scope and scale of what it can accomplish, but it has evolved into something in critical short supply: a force that can deliver a few thousand troops, able to help lash together multi-national contingents and confront the low-tech insurgencies, warlords and rebel groups that are the new, vexing face of conflict in the world.

While public will and political appetite will be low, these dysfunctional hot spots will pose the dual threats of destabilizing entire regions and exporting terror. The world can’t afford to ignore them.

Despite the bruises from Afghanistan, Canada has compelling reasons to lend weight to collective global security, just as it did as peacekeeper and honest broker, in a world that now needs middle powers in messier tasks. Shunning them will come at a price, in lost influence in the world, and to our interests in a rules-based international order.

But our military can’t be all things; resources are limited so choices must be made. Canada has a modest defence budget, and there’s no evidence of a public or political will to spend more. A pro-military Conservative government has budgeted annual increases for 20 years, but not enough to pay for the plans. We must choose a post-Afghanistan military: at home, to respond to North American dangers with the United States; and abroad, to combat lower-tech conflicts within states, not the biggest nation-to-nation wars.

nw-BE-Day1-spend_961202cl-3.jpg

INFOGRAPHIC
National Defence spending (as a % of GDP)
The Globe and Mail

The small army must maintain its strength not just to respond to natural disasters at home, but to serve in an expeditionary fighting force with high-tech, combat-hardened, post-Cold War capacity, including special forces, to confront warlords and insurgents.

The rusting navy needs ships because navies will matter more in the future, both to guard our ocean approaches and to sail abroad to clear shipping lanes from piracy and separate rival navies – the kind of niche role for which a middle power like Canada is needed, and capable of playing.

The air force will require tough choices: it must be built primarily for homeland defence, watching over vast territory with surveillance planes and unmanned drones, and fighters, too: but the price tag of F35 stealth fighters, and their advantage in an allied air campaign in state-to state war, will cut too much from other priorities if another fighter can do the domestic job for billions less.

“We’re watching the evolution of war. We’re watching the emergence of more sophisticated rebel movements, more sophisticated spoilers,” said Bruce Jones, a senior fellow in global security at New York University and the Brookings Institution. “It needs to be met with sophisticated capacity – sometimes that’s troops on the ground, it could be naval support, it could be intelligence. But I don’t think that Canada’s going to get away with imagining it can contribute without ever putting troops on the ground.”

The old Cold War threat of Russian invasion has disappeared. Many Canadians would prefer a return to blue-helmeted peacekeeping of the ‘70s, when soldiers patrolled between former combatants in Cyprus. But UN missions now mean nastier fighting in places such as the Congo.

On the ground around the world, many predict it will be the common but complicated conflicts of rebels, warlords and insurgents, not the big state-to-state wars, that require middle powers such as Canada.

The United States may still tackle the biggest and thorniest, but won’t have the resources to try to impose a Pax Americana, Mr. Jones argues; middle powers such as Canada with an interest in a rules-based international order shouldn’t want them to. But the future holds dangers, that if failing states such as Somalia or Yemen fester too long, they will pose threats outside their borders. It’s a hard sell after Afghanistan but some will have to be tackled, by coalitions or UN missions.

Multinational peace-making and stabilization missions have worked before, in Sierra Leone where British troops stopped a civil war, and when U.S. and Nigerian forces intervened in Liberia. But in many places such as the Congo and Somalia, they now depend on troops from countries such as Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Uganda and Burundi – who provide manpower but lack needed advanced capabilities such as strategic-lift aircraft to deliver a force, medium-lift helicopters to move it, reconnaissance, communications, and special forces.

“What we’re seeing on the ground is expensive, large, static UN forces simply not able to cope with the kinds of threats that they’re confronting. They’re being out-manoeuvred, and they’re failing,” Mr. Jones said. “We don’t want a situation where the only options are weak, under-capacitated, under-sophisticated, low-capability UN forces, or massive quantities of American troops.”

At sea, navies will be in demand. Canada’s 33-ship navy is in danger of losing the ability to sail a task force of four or five warships across the world if it doesn’t replace its aging destroyers and supply ships within five years, but that is what Canada will need to protect its own trade and security interests, and the world’s.

Navies from the United States, China, India, Brazil and Europe are co-operating to clear pirate-threatened shipping lanes off the coast of Somalia. Canada has joined efforts in the Red Sea. And rising powers such as China, India, or Brazil will grow less comfortable with the U.S. Navy’s current role as naval police, so multi-national task forces will be needed to clear shipping lanes and separate rival navies to prevent clashes in the South China Sea, Persian Gulf, or Straits of Hormuz.

Taking part will require national will and a military that can do it, balanced with needs at home. Meeting those demands means embracing our joint North American security interests with the United States.

The North American bargain is this: the United States will defend Canada against an attack, because it has to, and Canada will stand guard to ensure no threat passes through unimpeded. If Canada doesn’t send ships to guard its ocean approaches or fighters to meet a hijacked plane, the United States will.

But security needs have evolved. The Cold War may be over, but newer threats of terrorists lobbing a missile from a ship or sabotaging gas pipelines, even trans-national criminals and illegal fishing, require maritime surveillance flights, ships to patrol ocean approaches and unmanned aerial vehicles to patrol remote territory.

The warming Arctic climate will open shipping and contested oil-rich territory, but Arctic Ocean nations will divvy up territory through international law, not an imminent oil war; Canada’s interests are in patrolling the Northwest Passage and responding to interlopers and expanding Arctic naval co-operation with the United States to deter future conflicts elsewhere from spilling into Arctic waters.

Canada needs an air force, with fighters, to assert sovereignty in its skies. But if the price tag of the untendered plan to buy 65 F35 stealth Joint Strike Fighters – $9 billion to buy them, an estimated $7 billion for the first 20 years of service support, and there are fears costs will balloon – is billions more than other fighters, as many analysts believe, the extra cost will crowd out other priorities. Without a bidding competition, Canadians can’t be sure if the full cost of yet-to-be flown F35s over 40 years will be $25-billion, or $35-billion – or if a competitor would sell capable fighters for much less.

University of Ottawa defence analyst Philippe Lagassé argues the F35s stealth and networking advantages are in evading defences in a foreign air war, not, as the government and air force argue, in meeting threats to Canadian airspace.

“Let’s be clear: we’re talking about Russia here,” he said. China has no intention of coming near our airspace and has no long-range bombers to do it, and another country like Iran would have to fly through the airspace of several countries to get here, he said. Russia doesn’t have a stealth bomber to intrude unseen. And if Russia or China enters our airspace, it will be a massive attack with more planes than 65 fighters can handle, triggering U.S. retaliation and risking nuclear war.

The F35, designed to be flown in thousands by allies, with stealth technology and high-tech networked systems, does have advantages for evading air defences if Canada joined an allied campaign to knock out a foreign country’s air force and launch a bombing campaign, as it did in Kosovo or the first Gulf War. But Canada could send only a dozen or so fighters; U.S. and NATO allies fly thousands. Even if the F35 costs only $2-billion more, Mr. Lagassé argues, it means the military won’t have money to do something else.

The world is more likely to need a Canadian naval task force, or its advanced troops confronting factions in failed states.

“The problem is, we’ve been there, done that, and didn’t like it,” said Fen Hampson, head of Carleton University’s Norman Paterson School of International Affairs. “But we may come under pressure to do it again. And there may be a lot of them.”

Having a military isn’t a reason to go to war. There will be missions to avoid. For Canada, the question is not just whether a failing state might pose a future threat to our interests, but whether there is a political strategy, backed by the United States, the UN, or regional powers, to broker with factions including combatants, to reach stability – not create a western democracy.

In Afghanistan, international strategy was lacking. Goals swerved from capturing al-Qaeda fighters to eradicating Taliban to democracy and nation-building; efforts to build the Afghan government and army lagged, and the insurgency was fuelled by years of police abuses and weak and corrupt government.

The Canadian Forces arrived in Kandahar in late 2005 optimistic its 2,500 troops could secure the province, but fought pitched battles with the Taliban throughout 2006. When they won, insurgents with rifles returned hidden among the people, in twos and threes, setting IEDs and ambushes.

Canadian generals now concede that for years the thin presence of Canadian troops could only fight to not lose, waiting for a surge of U.S. troops, concentrated in Iraq, so they could start a real counterinsurgency campaign, focusing forces in smaller patches to improve security, bring back a few Afghan officials, and launch projects such as road-building to convince terrified villagers to point out insurgents, not join them.

But Canadian troops, now concentrated in Panjwaii, have over time developed beyond Cold War training and have gained tactics and tools for needle-in-haystack fighting: electronics to counter IEDs, heavy-lift helicopters to reduce risk by taking troops by air, with Griffons with long-distance sensor cameras escorting them.

At Kandahar airfield, Canadians control unmanned aerial vehicles that hang unseen with sensors that intercept radio signals or transmit video. Guided by intelligence, image analysts can distinguish farmers from insurgents, see weapons-stashing, and call in air strikes, or more often, send reports to troops and special forces. Individuals can be spotted, and bigger operations thwarted, said Captain Chris Radl, a reconnaissance officer. “When they move around in big groups,” he said, snapping his fingers, “we’ve got ‘em.”

In Kingston, Gen. Fraser, is gearing up a virtual headquarters of 130, First Canadian Division, for any future mission, such as relief to Haiti or another Afghanistan.

He counts the Canadian Forces among a few with crucial tools – strategic-lift and transport, Chinook helicopters, UAVs, intelligence, special forces, experienced troops and commanders, and the ability to set up command-and-control, satellite and radio communications for a multi-national force of 20,000 across 400,000 square kilometres – to enable a multi-national force many times larger.

“So you may have a small force, but that small force delivers far more weight on the ground,” Gen. Fraser said.

In a world that faces a proliferation of destabilizing conflicts of factions within nations, that capacity will be needed. Afghanistan will mark the Canadian Forces for a generation, as corporals and captains who served here become warrant officers and colonels; it revealed limits of scale and scope for militaries that can only provide space for political strategies. It has marked Canada with bitter reluctance. But Canada will need to confront threats in the world again, with realism, and will need to shape the military to do it.

I’m not sure that the CF will “leave Afghanistan with a bitter taste in its mouth about the scope and scale of what it can accomplish.” rather, I hope, the CF will leave with a newfound scepticism about the strategic vision and operational abilities of our friends and allies. We, Canadians and the CF, broadly, can accomplish any reasonable, sensible mission but we must not be expected to work miracles.

For the rest: I hope the Government of Canada and the Liberal Party of Toronto Canada both read and consider this. They don’t have to agree with all of it – heaven knows I don’t agree with everything Campbell Clark says – but it deserves reasoned debate by adults.

"heaven knows I don’t agree with everything Campbell Clark says – but it deserves reasoned debate by adults."

When you say "adults" Edward, do you mean Parliament? I certainly hope not.....that's a sandbox. The only thing missing is the hockey helmets....

Jim Seggie said:
"heaven knows I don’t agree with everything Campbell Clark says – but it deserves reasoned debate by adults."

When you say "adults" Edward, do you mean Parliament? I certainly hope not.....that's a sandbox. The only thing missing is the hockey helmets....
Have to agree, but they have to be at least part of the debate - for better or worse, we voted for them, so they should be representing us.  HOW (Do the "right" thing, no matter what the electorate wants?  Do what the electorate wants, even if it's not "right"?  Do just what the party leaders want?  All/none of the above) is a whole other thread, I think.

A good comprehensive article.....only 5 years too late.....

I wonder what will be said in 5 more years....

Parliament needs to be "informed", Jim and that - leading public debates on important issues - is one of the legitimate roles of the media and the commentariat. We need informed, public debates by parties who, however we might view them, care about the issues. This, for example, is an informed debate. Many, probably most, Army.ca members will disagree, some quite vehemently, with Prof. Byers on a whole range of issues but that doesn't make him (Byers) uninformed or, in any way, not entitled to enunciate his positions freely.

I commend the Good Grey Globe for:

1. Holding a public 'session' on What do Canadians think about the military? on this coming Monday (25 Oct 10) at 1200 Hrs (EDT); and

2. Drumming up some debate - some of it drivel - in advance of their little debate.

But we, the NDP's beloved 'ordinary Canadians,' need to make our voices heard, too. What kind of Canada do we want? One that kowtows to Arab sheiks and potentates in order to 'win' a seat on the UNSC or one that marches, confidently, into the world to protect and promote our own vital interests? Our defence policy matters because we either march or crawl based on how others perceive our Canadian Forces and our willingness to use them. We need strong (enough), effective - combat effective and cost effective - and flexible forces and we need to be prepared to use them. You know better than most what a heavy price we pay for using our military and despite my personal sorrow for your loss I would not hesitate to use our forces again - so long as they are used in furtherance of our, Canadian, national interests.

And yes, before someone asks, I too have a son at risk and both he and I are personally conscious of the frightful, human costs of war.

Edit: corrected hyperlink

A good article and welcome, even if as GAP points out it is 5 years late.

My quibbles:
Firstly the F35 - Stealth not only permits aircraft to evade ground based radar but also radars in aircraft, radars in the nose of fighters and radars on board those missiles that allow fighters to engage each other Beyond Visual Range.  Stealth is not just about bringing bombs to Baghdad.  It is also about surviving Air to Air engagements over Canada with missiles that can be launched from a whole variety of platforms..... Nuff said and horse beaten to extinction elsewhere.

Secondly, and in my opinion, more importantly - the issue of the UN relying on troops from Developing Nations.  It is NOT just the lack of technology that makes them ineffective.  More critically it is the lack of competent, disciplined and principled leadership at the unit level.

If Canada can figure out how to recreate the best of the old Colonial officers, without the racism and incorporating opportunities for the troops to rise out of their ranks then we would be serving the needs of a rules based world.  How do we create an OMLT system that incorporates the best of the system that raised capable field armies from levies from Libya to Bangladesh without Black and White messes and the terrors of the Memsahib?

My own suspicion is that the solution lies somewhere in the region of ex-serving officers and ncos or even troops on sabbatical or secondment, private security companies, government and UN accreditation, OECD training, and a personal longterm commitment - years if not decades - by the "mentors" to their "regiments".

Can we raise a politically correct Glubb Pasha or deliver units like the Sultan of Brunei's Gurkhas?

I can see a dozen decent, principled, competent and disciplined Canadians making a much more significant contribution in that role than they ever could wandering around various battlefields in 3 or 4 vehicles playinng "whack-a-mole" with the locals.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't be doing that.  To learn their trade and to establish credibility they need to keep doing that as well....early on in their careers, and maybe from time to time as a refresher.

I know I have veered from the generality to the detail here but the reference to the third world forces seems to me to demonstrate clearly a failure to understand exactly what it is that makes Canadians so valuable and so welcome in the field. 

Not all soldiers are created equal.

Kirkhill said:
So shouldn't the Globe, as an Opinion Leader, be beating the drum to force the politicians to stay in Afghanistan until the "problem" is solved?  Even if that means a Germany, Japan, Korea, Cyprus .... type of commitment?

IMO the difference is the leadership and social development of Germany, Japan, Korea and Cypress were sufficiently ... mature (for lack of coming up with a better word)

We (the Western "we") decided to load all of our eggs into the Karzai basket and would never entertain anything else.  Yes, I've heard time and again that "the alternative is worse" but perhaps people needed to find away around that?  Karzai and his ilk took the pulse of our assistance and it didn't take them long to realize that WE had a greater need to appear successful than THEY did.  I can tell you from personal experience that Joe Afghan viewed ISAF as "useless" once you got out of KC.  Yeah, we can shoot the hell out of bad guys and our combat abilities are without peer.  Oddly, the key to counter insurgency didn't end up being the ability to kill people.  How weird is that?  ::)  We also lacked credibility in their eyes, since we were backing corruption and exploitation.  It is sad to admit, but the Taliban did provide more in the way of local policing in the areas they controlled. 
True life case:  Man gets bike stolen in market by another man and goes to the police.  Police go, find the bike, force the thief to bribe them to stay out of jail then make the owner of the bike pay a bribe to get his own bike back.  Same scenario, but with a stolen car in Taliban country, Taliban go get car, beat the hell out of thief, give car back to owner.  Who is providing the better service?  (and I am NOT endorsing the Taliban, they suck, so lets avoid that potential hijack). 

So the tactical reality that we've been reporting for years has finally trickled back to the Government and we are looking to get out.  Everyone is looking to get out. Why?  Because with that corrupt government at the helm, nothing of value is going to get done.  They will just take our money, feign effort towards reconstruction and good governance, provide the illusion of going after the enemy (when they are actually working with them in some cases) and generally waste time, treasure and lives.  Not their own of course, but others will be just fine.  And BIG SHOCK!!  Now that the real combat power in Karzai's court is starting to head out, he is in negotiations with the Taliban.  Well, open negotiations now. 

All that to say, the next time we are looking to send our military to some country to assist somebody better be taking a hard look at what the existing governmental structure is and decide how they are going to tackle the political pressure aspect of it.  As mentioned, the enemy has their own "Lessons Learned" center.  Well, so does the Failed State Thugs Posing As Leaders group too.  The next place we go hopefully we aren't just shoveling money into peoples pockets and assuming (incorrectly) that everybody is playing off the same sheet music. 

This, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, is more like it – more, that is, like what I usually expect from my fellow citizens:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/time-to-lead/military/canadians-pick-peacekeeping-over-combat/article1771103/
Canadians pick peacekeeping over combat

CAMPBELL CLARK
Ottawa—

Published Monday, Oct. 25, 2010

Canadians think it's more important for their armed forces to be peacekeepers than combat fighters, a new poll has found, starkly outlining the political challenge in the future if Canada is called upon to play a part in messy overseas conflicts.

With combat forces scheduled to withdraw from Afghanistan in July, Canadians are heavily against sending troops on another mission like it, according to a Nanos Research poll conducted for The Globe and Mail. Peacekeeping topped the list of what they want soldiers to do in the future. And funding the military rates low compared with Canadians' bigger priorities for government spending.

defencespendingn_964003cl-2.jpg

INFOGRAPHIC
Survey: Canadians and the military
Source: Globe and Mail

The poll highlights the political challenge facing not just the Canadian government but other Western nations suffering war fatigue after costly expeditions in Afghanistan and Iraq: Will they be able to sell unpopular but perhaps necessary foreign military missions to their voters in the future? And amid economic malaise, will public opinion force them to slash funds for the military capabilities they would need for any mission in the future?

Though years of lethal combat in Kandahar have changed the face and image of the Canadian Forces, the public that awaits the return of the troops sees a future military modelled on its vision of blue-helmeted peacekeepers of years past. Canadians retain a deep vein of interest in internationalism, but not one that gets soldiers into shooting wars - rating combat missions by troops overseas as the least important of five roles for Canada's military.

It may be longing for an iconic role that is largely gone. Canadian peacekeepers with small arms patrolled between former combatants in 1970s Cyprus, but 1990s Bosnia was messier. And now, the missions awaiting in volatile Congo are not static, not passive, and that means fighting. Today's peacekeeping usually involves enforcement, and often all-out combat with warlords and rival militias, and missions without a peacemaking mandate often fail. What will we do in a world where differences between combat and peacekeeping are narrowing?

"The future of peacekeeping isn't going to be like its imagined past. It's not going to be just sitting around handing out candy bars and wearing blue helmets," said Stephen Saideman, Canada Research Chair in international security and ethnic conflict at McGill University. "If the Canadian Forces are sent someplace, it's going to have to be places where they're willing to shoot and get shot at."

The Nanos poll found 52 per cent of respondents rated UN peacekeeping as an important role for Canada's armed forces - a quarter rated it a 10 on a scale of importance from one to 10. Only 21 per cent of Canadians rated overseas combat missions as an important role for the military.

North American security co-operation rated second to UN peacekeeping, with 44 per cent considering it important - ahead of increasing defences in the Arctic and commitments to NATO.

Overall, said pollster Nik Nanos, Canadians still see their military's job as they have for decades, based on two main pillars: UN peacekeeping, and the kind of North American defence co-operation with the United States long done by institutions such as NORAD. "It's kind of like retro hour for foreign policy," he says.

Those views are likely coloured now by an Afghanistan mission they wouldn't repeat. The poll found 66 per cent of Canadians would oppose or "somewhat oppose" another mission like it. Only 21 per cent said they would support or somewhat support such a mission.

Though Canadian troops went into Afghanistan as part of an international stabilization mission under UN mandate, that's discounted now, after what Canadians perceive as years of disillusioning war.

A majority of poll respondents think the Afghanistan mission enhanced the country's reputation in the world, but Canadians are deeply divided on whether it accomplished its goals: curbing terrorism, creating political stability and making Afghans safer.

It is, Mr. Nanos suggested, partly about expectations. Ambitious goals of creating a democracy and rebuilding a nation are seen as unmet. Perhaps, he said, Canadians will one day support a more muscular combat mission if it's perceived to have defined and realistic goals.

No matter what role the Canadian Forces plays, it cannot expect a rush of new money to do it. The Nanos survey found that when Canadians have to choose where they want their taxes to go, they pick other priorities first - 79 per cent said rated health care as important for the government's budget spending, jobs and the economy are important for 73.9 per cent, and the environment and taxes were also rated higher - only 40 per cent considered military spending important.

The poll of 1,002 Canadians, conducted by Nanos Research between Oct. 1 and 6, is considered accurate within 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

So we get the usual result from the usual suspects, our fellow citizens. They totally misunderstand what has been happening in the world for 20+ years; they misunderstand because they (we, most Canadians) are totally preoccupied with our own, tiny, domestic social and political problems – Québec et al. Canadians have failed to notice or care that the world impacts us; problems in e.g. the Middle East tend to come home to roost in e.g. Toronto. But most Canadians believe that traditional, Pearsonian, baby-blue beret style peacekeeping can or even should be revived and implemented on any useful scale.

Less than half – closer to only ⅓ - of Canadians think adequate (i.e. greater than already promised) defence spending is necessary. That gives us a an accurate prediction of the policies of the next government – no matter what its political stripe.

Back